Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, remember the first screen of The Hobbit on the speccy, as it drew a picture of your hole! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yup, remember the first screen of The Hobbit on the speccy, as it drew a picture of your hole! ;)

Oh Matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Thats the way the 10 year old developers did it in the good old 80s:D

Still a cracking game though
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »

How'd you know it was Sparks hole :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Yeah leaderboard was the game that got my oulman liking games.
    A classic and i don't think golfing games now a days have strayed far from the formula.

Remember when you hit the water and the game created a special island for you to hit your next ball off.
    Always a highlight for me and my bros..we called it a jutter
    used to like Leaderboard
    Spent a massive amount of pre-pub-cans-drinking-time with my mates playing PGA II on the meg when I was in my twenties
    Ended up playing MS Golf 3.0 (which is the great grandson of leaderboard as it happens) when I got my first PC years ago.
    I played a fair bit of an odd freeware golf/ether induced halluctination game called "Golf?"

Oddly enough I can't stand real world Golf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

pdbhp wrote: »
    How'd you know it was Sparks hole :pac::pac:

Well, I've seen it kicked enough times, playing Boulder Dash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

That swing animation is pretty decent/realistic in Leaderboard isnt it?

Tis almost on "par" with Prince of Persia rotoscoping, well as good as you can get for a golf game on the c64 anyway!

Being the sad little immature git I was when I was 4/5,
    I used to break my hole laughing anytime my old man ended up in the drink,
    I used get a great kick out of tiny floating platform your player would stand on afterwards!

Thankfully, playing golf that was the only time he would end up "in the drink!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

yup it went back up
    TBH I'm probably going with plan B for some of the older non dosbox friendly games .(win 98 era laptop outputting to S-video, then vidcapped).

Just watching through all these now...great stuff, very enjoyable :cool:

Because you asked for it
    Rise of the Robots

I'm actually giving away a free(unboxed) copy of it via the youtube channel if anyones interested by the way
    http://www.youtube.com/user/luasdublin

Nice freakin Hat!!
    Great plug for here as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cant believe you actually went through with it ya poor bastard :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe you said Rise of the Robots looks good. It looks like absolute ass.

Also I keep hearing from a lot of people that only had PCs during the 90's that One Must Fall is great but I thought it was a pretty poor street fighter clone. Definitely not Rise of the Robots bad but still not great.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't believe you said Rise of the Robots looks good. It looks like absolute ass.

Also I keep hearing from a lot of people that only had PCs during the 90's that One Must Fall is great but I thought it was a pretty poor street fighter clone. Definitely not Rise of the Robots bad but still not great.
    I still reckon that it doesnt look that bad , and it has nothing else going for it! . Going to be doing a few pc games soon so will look at o.m.f. Bearing in mind there were some terrible fighting games for the pc at the time I remember it being decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hah! Nice review dude. I didn't know that about the crouching kick.

Skip to 13:40 if you want some unintentional filth :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah! Nice review dude. I didn't know that about the crouching kick.

Skip to 13:40 if you want some unintentional filth :pac:
    Neither did the developers evidently!
    Ba-Dum-Tish!

A few grandstand VFD games.
    (scramble/Alien Attack Firefox F7 and Astro Wars)
    Man I'm getting the urge to buy some of these again , the prices have jumped though the roof)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yus!

Short review of Super C.

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2012/02/super-c.html

Edit with an actual link :P

Quickie looking at a tabletop jungler game
    uploading via phone is actually fairly handy (BAR MY SHAKEY CAMERA STYLE!!!)

Mystical fighter on the meg . Few sound problems by the way so had to basically rerecord the commentry and reupload it
    ..and now the intro musics gone gaaah ..I've done a bodgy youtube edit to cut out the bit without sound ...man I'm besieged by gremlins.

• Advertisement

A review of the original Phantasy Star, hoping to follow it up with Phantasy Star 2:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2012/03/phantasy-star.html

Not really retro but a game that hopefully will interest some people here.

Nier is probably the most under rated game of this generation. Ignore the mediocre reviews, it's one of the most fascinating games this generation with some stellar narrative, writing and acting performances. Also by far and away the best soundtrack for a videogame in years:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2012/03/nier.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not quite a game but interesting all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Not retro but my review of Skyward Sword:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznYifPHxDg
    You might want to check that link Retr0!

Oops, link fixed :)

The bestest version of Tetris evaaaar , plus a look at a nice famiclone!

Nice to see you back making videos :)

• Advertisement

Nice to see you back making videos :)
    cheers!
    have a tiny bit of free time now that himself is born , just enough to manage 1 vid a week if I forgo sleep :)

Advertisement