Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adopting a dog from galway pound

• 04-01-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

we adopted a yorkshire terrier from the galway pound just before christmas, shes about 2 years old, and has had a kennel cough since we got her, which doesn't seem to be improving even with antibiotics, has anyone any experience with this illness or can someone tell me how long it should take to improve.

also, what shots do I need to get for the dog, im not sure whether she got any shots in the pound or not, does anyone know the procedure for the galway pound.

any help would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would ring them up and see if you can find out what shots they gave (if any) to your dog, I'm surprised they never told you.
    Kennel cough is rather nasty and can last a good while depending on the dog etc- I assume you've been to the vets with it if the dogs on anti-bs?
    there's some info on kennel cough here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Pounds do not vaccinate nor are they obliged to give vet med treatment to their charges.

As long as your dog is still sick then no proper vet will vacc her anyway.

Once she is better got to you vet and ask for a 5 in 1 vaccination or better a 7 in 1 if your vet does them.

As to KC it is contagious so you need to keep her away from other dogs. Fennel tea is great for KC, especially if given with a little honey. Does she have nasal discharge and gunky eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Galway City Dog Pound does not give vaccinations to the dogs, they simply keep them until their time is up, or are claimed or re-homed. It's usual with a rescue dog to start the vaccinations as if the dog had never had any, as someone who would abandon a dog is unlikely to have looked after it properly beforehand.

Kennel Cough is a virus, which means that antibiotics don't actually help it, they merely prevent secondary bacterial infections.

If in any doubt, it's best to return (or at least ring) the vets and ask them, it's a good idea to bring a new rescue dog to the vet for a check up when you get it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

thanks to all the replies,
    she has not been to the vet yet because of the busy christmas period, and I thought if the kenel cough is so contagious it might not be the best idea to bring her to the vet where she would be amongst other dogs.(antibiotics were supplied by a vet/friend who was home for the christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

how is she now?

where is the dog pound in galway? I know Ballybane but I went looking for it last night and couldnt find it. Was driving round in the dark though so was hard to find!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

shes doing good now thanks.

There is no pound in galway city any more as far as I know, but there is an office in town somewhere.The galway pound is now located out near portumna somewhere as far as I know, thats where our dog came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

From the Galway corpo site:

The Dog Warden is available at the pound:
    Monday - Friday
    9:30- 10:30 and 16:00 - 17:00

Contact the Dog Warden:
    091 757094

Dogs may be purchased from the pound for €25, with a rebate of €15 if the dog is neutered.

Attached are directions I put on a Google map image, you'd drive right past the building if you didn't know where it was!

shes doing good now thanks.

There is no pound in galway city any more as far as I know, but there is an office in town somewhere.The galway pound is now located out near portumna somewhere as far as I know, thats where our dog came from.

I think there's a pound near Portumna, but AFAIK they don't actually rehome dogs from there. However the GSPCA animal sanctuary is out there too and I would imagine that they vaccinate animals before rehoming them? Did you not get a vaccination card with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

apologies to all who have heard this before

i took a GS out of the CSPCA no vaccinations, no worming, no home check and to top it off not only was she not neutered but a month later she gave birth to 6 pups, 3 of them asleep after there "mad hour" here with me in the kitchen, correct that they are up and running again.

OP please contact the GSPCA and if you don't get anywhere with them report it to the ISPCA - this way a record of the incidence can be taken.

one of my dogs got kennel cough (i got the vaccinations time wrong after moving house - won't happen again) he was OK after a while, it is worrying though

i think when people say "pound" they mean the "GSPCA" as this is where the strays go

Paul91 wrote: »
    apologies to all who have heard this before

i took a GS out of the CSPCA no vaccinations, no worming, no home check and to top it off not only was she not neutered but a month later she gave birth to 6 pups, 3 of them asleep after there "mad hour" here with me in the kitchen, correct that they are up and running again.

OP please contact the GSPCA and if you don't get anywhere with them report it to the ISPCA - this way a record of the incidence can be taken.

one of my dogs got kennel cough (i got the vaccinations time wrong after moving house - won't happen again) he was OK after a while, it is worrying though

i think when people say "pound" they mean the "GSPCA" as this is where the strays go

I don't think the GSPCA and the CSPCA are related...

There is a Council pound in Galway City, one near Loughrea and one in Connemara, believe me they are an entirely different thing from a rescue shelter - I'd describe them as dog hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just to clarify. The GSPCA is totally different & in no way linked to Galway Pound which is run by the Local Authority. The GSPCA claim to have a "no kill policy" whereas the Pound (County & City) killed 413 dogs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Paul, the same thing happened to the mother of one of my volunteers when she adopted a BC bitch from the GSPCA. Only she was told the bitch was spayed. She whelped three weeks after adoption.

And it's not true that all the strays go to the GSPCA. The advice they usually give is to take it to the pound IF they pick up the phone.

Galway now only has one dogwarden according to the Connacht Tribune as the two others where not replaced when their contract ran out.

It's useless to report things like that to the ISPCA as the ISPCA runs pound themselves, some of which have the highest pts figures in the country.

It's an upsidedown world :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nifty90210

TillyGirl wrote: »
    how is she now?

where is the dog pound in galway? I know Ballybane but I went looking for it last night and couldnt find it. Was driving round in the dark though so was hard to find!!

See the map for directions to the pound in Ballybane

http://jobsoxo.com/acc_MAP_business_yahoo.php?z=0&co=Galway&cat=Pets-Supplies-Grooming&cod2=38993c192dc22ee39d75fe660e55059dqta8k3t82c6kacppwcacbss05hv48dnn&mpk=17849

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nifty90210

Blueprint wrote: »
    I don't think the GSPCA and the CSPCA are related...

There is a Council pound in Galway City, one near Loughrea and one in Connemara, believe me they are an entirely different thing from a rescue shelter - I'd describe them as dog hell!

There is a pound in Ballybane, Galway City. Dogs are put to sleep here if no home is found within 5days.
    http://jobsoxo.com/acc_MAP_business_yahoo.php?z=0&co=Galway&cat=Pets-Supplies-Grooming&cod2=38993c192dc22ee39d75fe660e55059dqta8k3t82c6kacppwcacbss05hv48dnn&mpk=17849

MADRA is a completely different 'pound'. Dogs are kept here untill homes are found for them. They are also neutered and vaccinated here before being re-homed.
    www.madra.ie

Advertisement