Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trace and Trace Farce (Ireland to UK) An Post

• 26-11-2009 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there,

I sent a package 'Registered Post' through An Post to the UK. I can go to the An Post website and trace the package as far as Dublin and then nothing. An Post customer services are pretty much unhelpful, they told me to ask the intended receipent (in London) if they have received the item. The madness of it all :-)

I used their Registered Service to ensure the package was signed for and not just dropped of the planet when it left Ireland. I have a Trace & Trace number, anyone know who handles An Post mail in the UK? Perhaps they can help me.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Bishop22 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I sent a package 'Registered Post' through An Post to the UK. I can go to the An Post website and trace the package as far as Dublin and then nothing. An Post customer services are pretty much unhelpful, they told me to ask the intended receipent (in London) if they have received the item. The madness of it all :-)

I used their Registered Service to ensure the package was signed for and not just dropped of the planet when it left Ireland. I have a Trace & Trace number, anyone know who handles An Post mail in the UK? Perhaps they can help me.

Thanks folks

Hi Bishop - the Royal Mail handle An Posts UK Deliveries. However you can only trace the package up until the point it leaves Ireland as both tracking systems are not connected. If the package does not arrive An Posts customer services you have to put in a claim at which point they will contact Royal Mail for you and have it tracked.

Your package is still insured and An Post will pay out if the package is lost but this can take up to 3 months.

Fingers crossed it arrives for you and there is no hassle though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When did you send the parcel?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the Royal Mail and An Post got together, and decided on the use of a tracking number that could be used in both jurisdictions? They could then take the idea to the EU for an EU wide standardisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They are semi-connected. I have sent registered mail to the UK, and sometimes (rarely) the tracking number works on Royal Mail's website. If you wait a couple of days, the An Post tracking system should show a delivery confirmation anyway, though signatures have never been available for me.

If tracking an incoming parcel from the UK, to be delivered in Ireland, the UK tracking number has always worked for me on An Post's site. Don't know what the difficulty is when going the other way, something to do with Royal Mail I'd say, as An Post's site always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hi Bishop - the Royal Mail handle An Posts UK Deliveries. However you can only trace the package up until the point it leaves Ireland as both tracking systems are not connected.

*HEAD DESK*

That is just ridiculous. What is the point of them offering track and trace if you can't actually trace it?

It's weird that you can track and trace normally on stuff sent UK > Ireland but not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bazmo

An Post have all sorts of tracking information for internal use that will
    not appear on Track and Trace.

I once sent a parcel to Oz that T&T showed as having left London as the latest info. After a period of time I rang customer services asking for information and they had all sorts of information e.g.

- item on flight QFxxx depart LHR at "time/date"
    - arrived Sydney at "time/date"
    - what bag on the plane contained the parcel
    - time it was handed off to Australian customs

Bottom line - they have a lot more information than you think. Ring them
    and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

An Post is very lazy about updating the track and trace info imho which makes it kinda pointless for the majority of users :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bishop22

In relation to some of the points made above:

Yes I have also bought stuff off eBay UK and when the seller issues a Trace Number it works in Royal Mail and in An Post, great when you can do that integrated. Its a pity it does not work after your package leaves Dublin though :-(

This afternoon I emailed An Post customer services and I got much further. Some bloke called Ian sent me back an Oracle application screenshot from his windows pc showing more info with the package time and date as it arrived into Langley, Berkshire Royal Mail centre near London. It appears An Post have more info then appears on their website, and more than their phone support staff are aware of/privvy to. I guess the upshot is to push them for more info on an individual level/case by case and perhaps that hassle will encuorage them to put the info online where customers look for it !

Thanks a bunch to everyone who offered their help and advice.

Bishop22

Advertisement