Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

• 06-08-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey all, applied for JSB, was told it will take about a month to come through and that my collection day would be a Tuesday/Wednesday (don't know how they figured this as form wasn't even processed). Anyway, what do you know I have arranged to be in Dublin for something for a 3 days period (Tuesday to Thursday) in and around that time, and knowing my luck that will be my first payday.

My question is if all this comes to pass, do I have to collect the money on the specific day - I think I read somewhere you have 3 days including the first day to collect? So if they say Tuesday I have til Thursday or along those lines? I will be gone early on the first day and back late on the last meaning both Tuesday and Wednesday are right offs. What happens if I simply can't make that week to collect the first payment. I've read you fill out a form for them to explain why, which I can do, but does the letter usually come a bit in advance - as in If I was in Dublin on the Tuesday to Thursday, could it come Tuesday morning (when I'm gone) telling me to collect Wednesday?

Now this is probably needless worry as the first step is to get a letter but its typical I haven't been out of the county in a year and no dobht they'll coincide lol

edit: in fact can anyone enlighten me what determines the payday? The particular post office?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 very miffed dub

No need to worry about missing the pay day. It should be in the Post Office for a few days.

It might be a good idea to tell your Social Welfare Office that you will be away just in case you don't get back in time to collect it.

Jobseeker's Allowance is paid on a Tuesday and Jobseeker's Benefit is paid on a Wednesday.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

No need to worry about missing the pay day. It should be in the Post Office for a few days.

It might be a good idea to tell your Social Welfare Office that you will be away just in case you don't get back in time to collect it.

Jobseeker's Allowance is paid on a Tuesday and Jobseeker's Benefit is paid on a Wednesday.

Hope this helps.

Good to know re days, thanks so much. Well letting them know is what I would do once I was on the system, but I don't think I can go in the week before and fill anything out when it hasn't been processed if you know what I mean (as in the letter authorising first payment may come the morning I leave). But as you say hopefully post office will hang on to it. Thanks for your advice. Can anyone add to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

for me its paid on Friday, I got caught out not collecting it on the day I was issued, the post office can be a law unto themselves.

fintonie wrote: »
    for me its paid on Friday, I got caught out not collecting it on the day I was issued, the post office can be a law unto themselves.

Thanks for response fintonie. Do you mean you missed a payday so they changed it to a different payday the next time you went to collect?

Hi all again, as I posted in another thread, I have been lucky enough to have a quick processing for my claim for JSB. As I thought, the day I must collect falls on a Wednesday, so bearing the above advice in mind (and I will ask my post office anyway), I can collect that on the Friday?

My problem is that my first sign on day turns out to be the Wednesday I am in Dublin (as said in first post). My question is what do I do? Will I just go in and explain situation and/or fill out those holiday forms (though it is not a holiday as such, just a pre-planned trip to Dublin for a gig someone gave me tickets for, so then again that might count as a holiday in their eyes). Will I lose my claim because I'm not there for sign-in date. Not going to Dublin is not an option, as have booked (pricey :( but no option at time) accomodation and train tickets already. Any help appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Its seen as a holiday as you are out of the locality - a holiday does not have to be abroad!
    You are best to go into them the day before you leave, you will fill out a form then, then go back in the day after you come back to sign back on. Your payment will be suspended until you come back. It will then issue.
    You are best to go in and let them know. If you don't your payment will be suspended anyway, and if you don't contact them for a certain length of time your claim will be closed and you will have to make a repeat claim.

cAr0l wrote: »
    Its seen as a holiday as you are out of the locality - a holiday does not have to be abroad!
    You are best to go into them the day before you leave, you will fill out a form then, then go back in the day after you come back to sign back on. Your payment will be suspended until you come back. It will then issue.
    You are best to go in and let them know. If you don't your payment will be suspended anyway, and if you don't contact them for a certain length of time your claim will be closed and you will have to make a repeat claim.

Ok Carol, thanks for your response. I think you must actually go in two weeks in advance. I will be going in later this afternoon anyway I think to explain.

Sorted :) The guy was dead on, pushed my pay day to Friday for that week, and I now do not need to monthly sign on until October :) Cost me 3 days holidays however, but in fairness I am not available to work those days. I asked but he said I didn't need a receipt. I might send in a letter anyway though just to get it in wiriting, but all looks good.

Advertisement