Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night buses

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

bk wrote: »
    I would assume they are worried that the minute they did, DB would re-introduce their own night bus to crush them.

DB are very like Ryanair in that way.

No other operator can come onto a route legally and compete for traffic so it's not an option Dublin Bus can take to try to kill off traffic, in spite of what a few ill minded folk may say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I'm surprised that Aircoach haven't picked up on this by experimenting with a City Centre pick-up at night
    The last thing Aircoach would want would be dealing with rowdy drunks returning from a nights binge in the city puking all over their leather seats and carpeted interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

bk wrote: »
    I would assume they are worried that the minute they did, DB would re-introduce their own night bus to crush them.

DB are very like Ryanair in that way.

I'm not quite sure how you can arrive at that conclusion?

The NTA fully regulates public transport and if a private operator wants to operate a service they can apply to do so. DB can't just introduce services where and when they like, nor for that matter could they do so when the DoT regulated the market.

None appear to have done so which suggests to me that there is very little interest in operating a night-time service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There is little interest in operating a night service probably because it's hard to make money doing so. The fact that it's not lucrative is not in dispute.

But.

1) If there was a comprehensive night service it would reach critical mass in terms of patronage due to consumer confidence.

2) Less subsidies should be given to dubious schemes (especially rural) which probably would not get a subsidy in any other European country, and that money should go to subsidising a night service, something which is common in other European cities.

With all these Dublin airport services, we also have the less-than-ideal side affect that it's easier to get to somewhere like Rochfortbridge at 2am than it is to get to Rathfarnham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

n97 mini wrote: »
    With all these Dublin airport services, we also have the less-than-ideal side affect that it's easier to get to somewhere like Rochfortbridge at 2am than it is to get to Rathfarnham.

Which is all very well if you live near the bus stop in Rochfortbribge. The night time BE services are inter urban services, not rural services. If you don't happen to live along the main drag then you are faced with the same situation as in suburban Dublin, taxi or walk and often on dark and dangerous roads.
    I don't have a problem with your requirement for an all night bus service for Dublin but you seem to have the impression that every little hamlet in rural Ireland has a first class public transport system. Nothing could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

bmaxi wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with your requirement for an all night bus service for Dublin but you seem to have the impression that every little hamlet in rural Ireland has a first class public transport system. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That's not what he said - he just said that there are all-night services from various parts of the country (like Rochfortbribge, Ballina and Donegal) to Dublin airport but not from Santry or Glasnevin. It's an odd situation because it gives more priority to IC travellers than the thousands of people who work in the airport and live near it.

Rathfarnham was a bad example because it now has an all-day aircoach service :)

but you seem to have the impression that every little hamlet in rural Ireland has a first class public transport system.
    Not at all. I'm simply pointing out the irony that you can't get a bus from Dublin city centre to somewhere in Dublin after a certain time at night, but yet you can get a bus from Dublin city centre to far flung corners of the country 24/7.

The point I'm making is, you can get a bus from Dublin to Gorey at 2 a.m. which is great if you live in the centre of Gorey but if you live in the "commuter belt" of Gorey, you're on your own just like you are in Glasnevin or Rathfarnham. You can also get that self same bus, from Gorey to the centre of Dublin
    In other words, if you live in say Riverchapel or Ballymoney which would be the equivalent distance of say, Coolock and you go for a night out in the nearest town ,you won't have a bus service in the middle of the night to take you home. What's more, you won't have a bus service in the middle of the day either.

The point I'm making is, you can get a bus from Dublin to Gorey at 2 a.m. which is great if you live in the centre of Gorey but if you live in the "commuter belt" of Gorey, you're on your own just like you are in Glasnevin or Rathfarnham. You can also get that self same bus, from Gorey to the centre of Dublin
    In other words, if you live in say Riverchapel or Ballymoney which would be the equivalent distance of say, Coolock and you go for a night out in the nearest town ,you won't have a bus service in the middle of the night to take you home. What's more, you won't have a bus service in the middle of the day either.

I understand and appreciate the point you're making, i.e. that getting you to Main St., Rochfortbridge is not getting you home, unless you live on Main St. Arguably that's better though than living in Rathfarnham and being stuck on Main St., Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Arguably that's better though than living in Rathfarnham and being stuck on Main St., Dublin.

Well, travelling from the city centre to Rathfarnham is completely doable by streetlit footpath, whereas to cover the same distance between Main St., Arklow and Coolgreany, you would have to walk along winding roads, without any footpath or lighting. You can never be "stuck" if you live in Dublin, just lazy. I know a fella who walked from Arklow to Coolgreany one night, as there were no taxis available, so walking between Rathfarnham and the city centre is completely doable, by that same token. IMO, having to walk narrow, winding roads without any source of light to get from A to B is not better than having defined footpaths and streetlighting.

Well, travelling from the city centre to Rathfarnham is completely doable by streetlit footpath, whereas to cover the same distance between Main St., Arklow and Coolgreany, you would have to walk along winding roads, without any footpath or lighting. You can never be "stuck" if you live in Dublin, just lazy. I know a fella who walked from Arklow to Coolgreany one night, as there were no taxis available, so walking between Rathfarnham and the city centre is completely doable, by that same token. IMO, having to walk narrow, winding roads without any source of light to get from A to B is not better than having defined footpaths and streetlighting.

A 3 hour walk is a 3 hour walk, no matter where you do it. I've got caught once or twice in Dublin as there are no night buses and taxis weren't to be had. I didn't feel any better about it just because it was streetlit footpath through the Phoenix Park at 3:30am.

A 3 hour walk is a 3 hour walk, no matter where you do it. I've got caught once or twice in Dublin as there are no night buses and taxis weren't to be had. I didn't feel any better about it just because it was streetlit footpath through the Phoenix Park at 3:30am.

When I was romancing the current Mrs. bmaxi I regularly walked from Walkinstown to Ballybough. I take it your problem is not with the journey but with whom you might encounter on that journey. Again, if you were to walk the streets of Gorey at 3.30am almost any night you'll meet some of our finest citizens, most of whom are pissed off because what taxis there are, won't take them so they are going to be taking the various routes to the outskirts on foot. I do sympathise on that issue.

Advertisement