Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice:Buying a used Car - Focus/Golf/Corolla

• 04-03-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm just looking for some last minute advice on buying a used car. I have filtered down my options to one of these three: Ford Focus/ VW Golf/ Toyota Corolla

I'm looking for a small reliable car with the general specs for each of above:

- Hatchback
    - something between 2002 to 2005
    -1.3 to 1.6 Engine Size
    -Petrol/Diesal
    - 3 door
    - reasonable for the year millage on or under the 100k miles mark

If you are a mechanic or have experience with these cars in particular could you give me a few words on anything you have found with them, primarily:

-reliable
    -availability of parts
    -known issues with that make/year
    -what to look out for when viewing the car
    - what I should be looking to pay roughly

My budget is between 2,500 and 3,500. I am just looking for a reliable A to B car to make a few runs around the city in the evenings and the odd long journey to the west. I had a Peugot Partner and it was endless trouble and a general pain in the arse.

Thanks in advance for the advice..

DuffMAN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not the Golf.

I'd go with the Corolla, with the focus being not that far off. The FOcus is a sharper drive, but the Corolla is a lot more powerful (1.4 vs 1.4)

Corolla petrols hardly ever go wrong. there are a few on donedeal fitting your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Corolla, depends on the year, keep off the VVTi engines before 2006

DanWall wrote: »
    Corolla, depends on the year, keep off the VVTi engines before 2006

Why? we're talking the 1.4 engines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dont know what the older style focus are like but do not get a 05 1.4 version. dog slow especially when the car has more than one person:o

The older one isn't quite so slow, but still slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

VVTi engines 1.6 and 1.8 not sure about 1.4 have a design fault with the pistons overheating causing them to burn oil after about 60,000 mile. There is an extended secret warranty for 7 years with conditions. this was not fixed until mis 2005. the old model Corolla and Avensis are OK

Early 1.4 VVT-i had problems burning oil, but from memory, these were resolved by the time the new 02 model came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not all of the VVTIs burnt oil.
    We have an original 2000 1.4 4ZZ-FE and its been fine from the start.
    106k miles on it now and it burns no oil.
    It never had the replacement short block either.
    IIRC the 1.8 was much more prone to the oil problem.
    Strange really because they are all the same block, the only big mechanical difference between the 1.4/1.6/1.8 is the crank and pistons/rods.

OP The Corolla would be the better in that class, when you say " I am just looking for a reliable A to B car to make a few runs around the city in the evenings and the odd long journey to the west."

Plenty of parts available.
    Good power for a 1.4 and pretty good economy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Daawaa

This is great feedback, thanks guys. I was opting towards the Golf in the beginning but from this response and other advice I think Ill go against it.

Corolla is looking like the winner here..

I think I found a suitable Corolla but not sure on the price

From a dealer with 3 month warranty and fully service-

Toyota Corolla Hatchback - 2003 - 1.4 - 65,000 miles - NCT'd

€3,950 possibly get it for €3,750

What do ye think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you look at the Mazda 3. Here is a 2004 for a small bit more money, FSH, a year younger and has air con:

media?xwm=y&id=a877dbea-36e7-4ac9-8fc4-c99de88bedd9&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=5613326019668480

thats a nice looking car, but Im looking for a corolla/focus in particular and something around the 3,500 mark :)

Daawaa wrote: »
    I think I found a suitable Corolla but not sure on the price

From a dealer with 3 month warranty and fully service-

Toyota Corolla Hatchback - 2003 - 1.4 - 65,000 miles - NCT'd

€3,950 possibly get it for €3,750

What do ye think ?

It's relatively expensive for a car but this is the type of money they sometimes make. Verify the mileage if you can. Any link to the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mmmmmmm stellar blue, otherwise known as "look it at and it scratches" blue.

Advertisement