Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade hard drive in sky hd box

• 11-03-2008 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,821 ✭✭✭✭

will this hard drive Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM work in a sky hd box or any other recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭corm500

I was looking at this hard drive meself (they have a good price on Komplett for it) and wondering if it will work with a standard Sky+ box.

Corm500

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sky+ uses IDE drives, so SATA drive would be no good.

This thread is covering the subject already, with some handy links.

The Morlocks link will be handy for HeadShoT.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055250436

• Registered Users Posts: 53,821 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

byte wrote: »

This thread is covering the subject already, with some handy links.

The Morlocks link will be handy for HeadShoT.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055250436

in the morlocks link he says he used a Popular Drive For The Upgrade Is A WD5000AAKS (500Gb)

i put WD5000AAKS in to komplett search and got Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

so is that what he used???

byte

Yup, as it's the Manufacturers Model number (Part number).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

I upgraded to the 1TB Hitachi Deskstar , got in PC World.
    Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I just replaced the power supply in my Sky HD box , and after having it opened up I can confirm that the hard drive in mine is definitely a SATA drive.

You can see the cable in this picture here ,

byte

mathias wrote: »
    I just replaced the power supply in my Sky HD box , and after having it opened up I can confirm that the hard drive in mine is definitely a SATA drive.

You can see the cable in this picture here ,
    To avoid confusion, I was referring to Sky+ boxes.

SkyHD does indeed use SATA drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭BrianPK

I've just upgraded to a WD 1TB drive in my SKY HD box.Considering I've avoided going near COPY+ due to my limited knowledge of computers I am amazed how easy it is to do.I used the drive from my old SKY + box (with its invaluable recordings of Munsters Heineken final win,the build up and after match reports etc )which was gathering dust in the attic.Actually I've put the new drive into an external caddy.I've already 2 caddies each with 500gb drive full of HD films,documentaries etc.ie a library of material which I love to browse when the mood takes me.
    I'm all set to record Titanic in Hd this evening.If it's anything like Zulu or The Italian Job picture quality wise it'll be well worth keeping:)

Advertisement