Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

When updating and re jail breaking atv 2 using season pass should I restore using original apple firmware and then restore with seasonpas custom firmware or just go straight ahead and restore with custom firmware

If you are already on the latest firmware then just use SP. But if you are on an older firmware then restore and update, the use SP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Basq wrote: »
    Did you try Ultrasn0w Fixer on Cydia?

Actually, need to do an unlock this evening for someone myself, so should find out if Ultrasn0w Fixer works on 5.1.1 before doing it.

I'll give it a bash if you want ? Is it in the cydia store. Must say the 4s is a very fast phone, very impressed with it.

msg11 wrote: »
    Done a jail break on mine 4s worked fine. Any unlocks available for different networks? Or is at change the IPSW to custom to unlock ?

Also the guy I bought it off might have forgot to mention it's blocked by 3 as to locked to 3, it shows no service with a 3 sim in it? Any ideas..

Kinda pissed I never tried a sim card in it now, hassle of this.

As far as I know, ultrasn0w doesn't work on any 4s basebands.
    It works in a few 3GS basebands and only works on one iPhone 4 baseband which is 01.59.00 and is rare enough as it was the baseband that shipped with the first assignment of iphone 4. So needed to be preserved all the way through each update.
    I can confirm though that ultrasn0w works on iPhone 4 01.59.00 when installed after ultrasn0w fixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, I was able to unlock a 3GS on 5.1 on the iPad Baseband last week..

.. but it was before the untethered JB was released.

So gonna retry the JB / unlock this evening.. so am hoping it'll still work on 5.1.1.

Toots* wrote: »
    I've jailbroken my iphone 4 and installed dreamboard for some themes. I'm using a theme called ERGO HD, but I would like to have my own lock screen picture instead of the default one for the theme but I can't figure out how to change it. I've googled and googled but still can't find an answer, can anyone help?

As guil said you need a file browser. Winscp is good for windows or you could get ifile in cydia and browse for the location right on your phone.
    I don't have winterboard anymore but I used to have it and I messed around with changing backgrounds, icons, loading screens etc.
    Can't remember the exact path but the place to start is var/stash
    And after that it's either /themes or it's /applications/themes

Let's know how you get in, sorry I don't have the exact directory but I don't have the folders because I don't have winterboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Having issues here on the 4s with the ultrasn0w fixer..

Install errors with ultrasnOw

subprocess post-installtion script returned error exit status 255

subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Think it's something to do with the baseband.

2.0.12 BB

5.1.1(9B206) Version

msg11 wrote: »
    Having issues here on the 4s with the ultrasn0w fixer..

Install errors with ultrasnOw

subprocess post-installtion script returned error exit status 255

subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Think it's something to do with the baseband.

2.0.12 BB

5.1.1(9B206) Version
    Ultrasn0w doesn't work on a 4S at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cookmeister

Hi all, I have recently jailbroken my 4s and I'm wondering if I can unlock it as I'm travelling next week. I was in the UK last month and was charged ~€30 for 4 days which I thought was ridiculous and I don't want to get stung again! Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Hi all, I have recently jailbroken my 4s and I'm wondering if I can unlock it as I'm travelling next week. I was in the UK last month and was charged ~€30 for 4 days which I thought was ridiculous and I don't want to get stung again! Can anyone help?

There is no unlock available for the 4S unless you get a Gevey sim for it. Have you tried getting O2 to unlock it?

Gah.. this is frustrating!

- Upgraded iPhone 3GS on 6.15.00 baseband to 5.1 (and preserved it.. all fine!)
    - Then I'd to carry out a tethered JB in order to hacktivate it (since Absinthe won't do it when not activated)
    - Then installed Ultrasn0w Fixer 5.1.1 and Ultrasnow to fix 'no service'
    - Then installed Rocky Racoon Untether 5.1.1 to make JB untethered

All appeared to work perfectly.. but when I restart the phone, it just goes to a solid black screen and won't respond to being powered on.

It's almost like it's constantly in DFU mode as the only way to get it back is to 'Boot tethered' in DFU mode.

The newest RedSnow (0.9.11b4) has 'Fix Recovery Loop' disabled while the slightly older one (0.9.10b6) has it enabled but it doesn't do much!

Christ... pain in the arse!

EDIT: Fixed.. accidentally chosen old bootrom instead of new bootrom.Now up-and-running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Cookmeister

Duff wrote: »

There is no unlock available for the 4S unless you get a Gevey sim for it. Have you tried getting O2 to unlock it?

Yeah I sent off to O2 earlier looking for an unlock but I don't think I've spent the €120 or so credit on the iPhone yet. Hopefully I'll be able to sort something by next week.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Damn. seem to have all lost pretty much all my apps off my ipad when jailbreaking. Not sure what I did wrong. Followed the steps below to the letter. After the successful JB did a restore and am left with a standard set of apps I started with 6 months ago. :(

There is obviously more to step 1 than is specified here as the backup went fine.

EDIT... seem to have found a lot of them easily enough in appstore on the ipad under purchased. only missing a few like filmon which was removed. hopefully i can find it elsewhere
    1. Make a backup of your device iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the 'Devices' menu and click 'Back Up'.
    2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
    3. Open Absinthe and be sure your are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
    4. Click 'Jailbreak' and wait... just be patient and do not disconnect your device!
    5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. To do so, right click on your device name under the 'Devices' menu in the left panel of iTunes and click 'Restore From Backup...' then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device, i.e. apps, photos, etc.)
    6. Thanks for using Absinthe, enjoy your jailbroken iDevice!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

I got my iphone 4 unlocked by at&t in april, im just wondering is ok for me to upgrade ios, or will the phone be relocked if i upgrade???

I got my iphone 4 unlocked by at&t in april, im just wondering is ok for me to upgrade ios, or will the phone be relocked if i upgrade???

No. If it's an official unlock then upgrade away - you'll never lose it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone else still queuing to download Winterboard?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

No piracy discussion please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Is it possible to add a toggle for PdaNet to SBsettings? Or any other tethering apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

I own an ipad 1 and an iphone 3gs. Neither are jailbroken, nor have I tried to jailbreak them. Decided I would attempt to jailbreak my ipad today. BUT im now confused and worried ill do it wrong, after trolling true videos and web posts and tutorials.ARGGH..:confused:
    I understand the difference between tethered and untethered, and obviously would prefer to do the untethered.
    My ipad is on iOS 5.1. Do I need to update to 5.1.1 or downgrade/revert(?) to 5.0.1?
    Im seeing the word blobs for tethered 5.1.1 jailbreak and looks complicated.:(

theaaao wrote: »
    My ipad is on iOS 5.1. Do I need to update to 5.1.1 or downgrade/revert(?) to 5.0.1?
    You need to upgrade to 5.1.1 and then run Absinthe 2.0.2 when updated with the iPad connected to your PC. Then click 'Jailbreak', wait for it to complete and then you're done!
    theaaao wrote:
    Don't worry about this.. this is only important if you wish to roll back to a previous firmware that isn't being signed ("authorised") by Apple anymore.

I own an ipad 1 and an iphone 3gs. Neither are jailbroken, nor have I tried to jailbreak them. Decided I would attempt to jailbreak my ipad today. BUT im now confused and worried ill do it wrong, after trolling true videos and web posts and tutorials.ARGGH..:confused:
    I understand the difference between tethered and untethered, and obviously would prefer to do the untethered.

You will need to update to 5.1.1. Use Absinthe 2.0 to jailbreak it untethered. Blobs are only needed for downgrading firmware.

EDIT: Basq got there before me.

• Advertisement

once updated to 5.1.1, does the ipad need to be off or on while jailbreaking. Just thinking about DFU? something I read during the course of the day.:confused:

Nope, Absinthe doesn't require the device to be in DFU mode.

Just leave it the iPad on as normal connected to the PC / Mac.

Anyone know where I can download absinithe 2.0.2? Only seem to be able to find 2.0 on their site. And even that has no download links working. For windows BTW.

Anyone know where I can download absinithe 2.0.2? Only seem to be able to find 2.0 on their site. And even that has no download links working. For windows BTW.
    That is 2.0.2 (sorry, should have mentioned that).. the .2 is simply a minor version.

It'll more than likely says Absinthe 2.0.2 in the title bar of the application when you open it.

EDIT: Oh, and here's a working link for it!

great stuff. About to jailbreak now!:D

great stuff. About to jailbreak now!:D
    It'll be a breeze.. don't get worried if it takes a bit of time. Can take 3-5 minutes.. just leave it connected and have a cuppa!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi
    Any advice from any of you experts would be helpful.

I have an Iphone 3GS with the new bootrom. Currently on 4.1 - SHSH blobs for 4.1, 4.3.5 and 5.1.1 - Also to unlock I have the 6.15.00 baseband.

I used redsnow to build an ipsw for 5.1.1 and preserve the baseband. However, when I restored via Itunes I had to do a tethered boot all the time. Also, if the iphone was not connected via usb to the laptop it would go black after about 15 mins and require redsnow to tethered reboot again. Restoring it back down to 4.1 and it works fine, does not go dead / black etc

My questions are...

1) Can I just upgrade to 5.1.1 with stock firmware or will that change my baseband?

2) If it does change the baseband can I reinstall 6.15.00 easily enough?

3) Can the Iphone 3gs New Bootrom be jailbroken untethered using Absinthe or Rocky Racoon?

Thanks a lot

1) Can I just upgrade to 5.1.1 with stock firmware or will that change my baseband?

2) If it does change the baseband can I reinstall 6.15.00 easily enough?
    Am pretty sure it will be changed..

.. to preserve it, it'd be best to build a custom IPSW with the latest RedSnow, pop your phone in Pwned DFU mode and restore using iTunes.
    3) Can the Iphone 3gs New Bootrom be jailbroken untethered using Absinthe or Rocky Racoon?

Thanks a lot
    See my process above!

If your phone needs to be "hacktivated", you'll need to carry out a tethered JB using RedSnow and use Rocky Racoon to untether it. You can use UltraSnow Fixer 5.1.1 to unlock it.

If it doesn't, you can simply activate and JB using Absinthe.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Basq wrote: »
    Gah.. this is frustrating!

- Upgraded iPhone 3GS on 6.15.00 baseband to 5.1 (and preserved it.. all fine!)
    - Then I'd to carry out a tethered JB in order to hacktivate it (since Absinthe won't do it when not activated)
    - Then installed Ultrasn0w Fixer 5.1.1 and Ultrasnow to fix 'no service'
    - Then installed Rocky Racoon Untether 5.1.1 to make JB untethered

All appeared to work perfectly.. but when I restart the phone, it just goes to a solid black screen and won't respond to being powered on.

It's almost like it's constantly in DFU mode as the only way to get it back is to 'Boot tethered' in DFU mode.

The newest RedSnow (0.9.11b4) has 'Fix Recovery Loop' disabled while the slightly older one (0.9.10b6) has it enabled but it doesn't do much!

Christ... pain in the arse!

EDIT: Fixed.. accidentally chosen old bootrom instead of new bootrom.Now up-and-running!

Sounds identical to my problem! I reckon I selected old bootrom instead of the new one!

Thank you for such a quick response! Fair play to you :-)

• Advertisement

Sounds identical to my problem! I reckon I selected old bootrom instead of the new one!

Thank you for such a quick response! Fair play to you :-)
    Yep.. if it's a black screen.. just re-do the Custom IPSW with new bootroom. And do the steps from there onwards.

Should be fine then.

Advertisement