Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millennium 50 pence(1988)

• 08-02-2007 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi
    what is the value of Dublin Millennium 50 pence coins and also for 50 pence coins in presentation/collectors packaging.

thanks, Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Jim79 wrote:
    Hi
    what is the value of Dublin Millennium 50 pence coins and also for 50 pence coins in presentation/collectors packaging.

thanks, Jim

The former is worth 1euro and the latter maybe 5 euro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Depends, if you're selling them in bulk, you'll get little over face value. The ones in the presentation boxes assuming they're the official central bank Proof 50p and not some ordinary 50 in 3rd party packing then it's worth around 25 to 30 Euro. If you have any proofs in quantity I'd be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

What about those millenium pound coins they made in 2000? The ones with the boat thing and two stars? I think I still have one of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

i saw some 50pence pieces in packaging on ebay. that was the motive for asking. i am not sure if it was the offical packaging. the seller had a buy it now price of $10(i think).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

What about those millenium pound coins they made in 2000? The ones with the boat thing and two stars? I think I still have one of them....

Same thing with these, they aren't worth much over their face value. Theres buckets of these about because people were putting them away at the time. Again like the 50p's they did make special edition solid silver proof millenium pound coins in a presentation case which are worth about 30 euro max retail.

• Advertisement

Jim79 wrote:
    i saw some 50pence pieces in packaging on ebay. that was the motive for asking. i am not sure if it was the offical packaging. the seller had a buy it now price of $10(i think).

This is the only official special edition Millenium proof 50p ever made:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ireland-988-1988-Dublin-Millenium-Proof-50p-Coin_W0QQitemZ120085941404QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3390QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120085941404

Proof means that both the blank planchets and the dies that strike the coins are highly polished before the coins are struck. Also they aren't just spat out of a machine in bulk like normal circulation coins so theres rarely a mark on them.

What you saw was most likely a normal circulation coin put into a 3rd party presentation case. Some sellers try and flog them like this but they're not official and not proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

I have one of those coins that supermandude007 mentioned. Anyone know how much they would be worth?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Shane190 wrote:
    I have one of those coins that supermandude007 mentioned. Anyone know how much they would be worth?

about 1.50

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 william brosnahan

I have over 50 Millenium 50p great condition anyone know there value?

• Advertisement

I have over 50 Millenium 50p great condition anyone know there value?

Have you not read the thread? That's actually what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ssspiderman

I have one that seems to have been double struck anyone know if this is worth anything ?

I have one that seems to have been double struck anyone know if this is worth anything ?

Depends how offset the strikes are, you'll need to post a picture of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ssspiderman

Blade wrote: »
    Depends how offset the strikes are, you'll need to post a picture of it...

The offset strike is not that obvious, it is just visable in the top two castles, I will try put up pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks Blade;89407312

The offset strike is not that obvious, it is just visable in the top two castles, I will try put up pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks Blade;89407312

Ok don't worry about the pictures, if it's not that obvious then it's something that happened a lot with decimals and not really of interest to most collectors. Keep it aside by all means but don't expect to make much on it.

Advertisement