Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with leather boots

• 27-02-2010 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi,

I bought a pair of leather boots the other day. They are a brushed type leather, when paying for the boots I was asked if I would like to buy spray protectant for them. I was told this would reduce the chance of the brushed leather being marked so I bought it.

I went home and sprayed the leather according to the instructions and left it to dry. 3 days later the leather still looks damp, it's a much darker colour then before the spray was applied. It can also be marked very easily. Just rubbing your nail across the leather leaves a light coloured mark.

I have my receipt and the boots have not been worn, would there be any chance of me getting a refund? I'd rather not have the same boots again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its probably nubuck leather. The spray simply protects it from getting dirt ingrained into it.

Nubuck is designed to look different shades depending on how the shoe is brushed.

If you get an eraser and rub the shoe, it should return to normal colour shade.

ASs for refund - unlikely as the shoe has no fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I was sold the spray under the understanding and explanation from the sales person that it would reduce the likelyhood of the leather being marked.
    Even the lightest of pressure marks the leather now. It didn't mark easily beforehand. The display shoe was fine after sitting on the shelf for however long it was there.

Also the boots are a darker colour then what I picked out in the shop due to the spray not drying into the leather properly.

I think i should be entitled to at least a replacement or a choice of other shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Many products have warnings stating they may change the colour of the leather so check the small print on the can. If it's there in writing for you to read then I doubt you can challenge the shop on that basis.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Many products have warnings stating they may change the colour of the leather so check the small print on the can. If it's there in writing for you to read then I doubt you can challenge the shop on that basis.

There were no tags or box with them so nothing to check.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the shoes look different now and are nowhere near as durable as they would have been before I used the spray protectant the shop recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I used to sell those sprays when I was in retail. Most of those sprays will alter the colour of the leather, usually they darken it. I doubt you're entitled to a refund because as was said before there is no fault with the shoes. And if they are nubuck leather then its natural that the colours change depending on the lie of the leather and they will probably tell you it's natural. I mean you could chance it, if they didn't warn you that it would darken the leather then thats bad form because its something you should know especially if they recommended it. But, I'm not sure if you are technically entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Neilw wrote: »
    There were no tags or box with them so nothing to check.
    The protectant should mention it, not the shoes. It would be very unusual for it not to be mentioned either on the container, carton or a leaflet as chemical manufacturers often place many such warnings to protect themselves against 'you didn't tell me' type suits.

What is the make and brand of the protectant, perhaps someone here may have some and be able to confirm if it advises of possible colour change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They also usually tell you to test on a small inconspicuous area before use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Hadleigh Deep Panda

This might seem a stupid question but...

Did you try going back to the store with the boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I suspect this is a shop of a well-known shoe manufacturer, but maybe not.

Because the seller sold you the shoes then recommended the spray, then the consumer was entitled to believe that the spray was suitable. The purchaser did not ask for the spray. The whole thing was the seller's idea. It sounds like the seller spontaneously recommended it.

This would seem to put the onus heavily on the shop. You depended on their expertise when you bought the spray. I think you are entitled to expect that they would not recommend something unsuitable.

The problem is going to be proving that the spray was in fact not suitable and that the shoes are in fact less durable. This would be hard to establish as fact.

Shoes returned, and I exchanged them for a different pair.

Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement