Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Red fraggle something is causing your little lad to feed inefficiently so yes perhaps it's a lactose intolerance. Try cutting out dairy for a few days and see if there's an improvement.

However you have to csound ar the blockage or it could become an abscess which you definitely don't want to happen. Keep doing the hot bath and massage but perhaps pump after every feed and compress the breast/massage it towards the nipple as you're doing it. It will be sore but you have to persevere.

That's what I've been doing. But nothing is coming out or very little. I've massaged to the point of tears and nothing. I've done an extra express the same. Plus everytime I put pressure on to massage the pump breaks suction!! I feel hard sound lumps and one big mass or somethin.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Thanks a mill! I'm thinking of doing that. What did you have to do with the remedy? I've never gone to a homeopath but I will!! He screamed in pain while farting today. Break your heart. Did the remedy really work? What age was your baby? Sorry for all the questions!!!!
    http://www.downtoearth.ie/products/Weleda-Lycopodium-30c.html

That is a link to a shop in dublin which distributes Homeopathic remedies. We are big fans of homeopathy in our house-not cos it's hippy dippy but because we have seen it actually work! The situation with our little fella is a great example- I dissolved one little pillule in a glass (around 200ml) of cool boiled water. Then I gave him a little drop (a dose in homeopathy is not strictly measured) and usually after the first drop he would give a huge burp and immediately relax. Sometimes we had to repeat the dose, and sometimes I would hear these massive gurgles coming from his tummy and inevitably he improved. For me this speaks for itself-we didn't intellectually explain to him that these drops might make him better or a placebo effect might make him feel better :-)
    It might be a great idea to consult a homeopath as there are a couple of remedies for similar complaints. Our fella felt better if you kept pressure on his tummy- this is a classic symptom for that remedy.
    This is getting very long winded! I think our fella was a few weeks old when we worked out the lactose thing and the remedy then around the same time. The remedy works great for times when I have eaten something unwittingly or now that he is on solids (he's 11 months now) sometimes other things don't agree with him and they work great still. He knows now when he is getting his drops and opens his mouth like a little bird :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You poor thing. I think you need to get it seen to before it gets to the stage of an abscess. Perhaps look up contact details for an ibclc lactation consultant on the friends of breastfeeding website. I found Sue Jameson to be very helpful when I rang her a couple of times after my daughter was born.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound stern. It must be the mammy in me :S

I can't contribute to the blocked duct situation other than to say some great advice above and just keep a big eye on it as you DO NOT NEED the dreaded mastitis. Try not to stress about it. You are doing the most natural thing in the world and giving you baby the very best start you can- all will be well. You'll get over this small hump in the road and you won't know yourself-you'll just get a in a groove and forget this ever happened.

I've also heard about ultrasound being used to break down hard lump. It's worth considering so perhaps see if your gp has an ultrasound machine (if that's the right word!)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys. I had a huge rant/breakdown in parent and toddler group today. I got a number for breastfeedin consultant who was lovely and I can Ring her back anytime. Waitin for my health nurse to return my call so I can ask her to check it and I'll know more then. It's the lack of info that got to me. And being terrified of it getting worse!!

On another note. I'm bringing j to a homeopath tomorrow. I'm so hoping it helps him. Are they once off visits? I hope so as its very expensive but if it works I'll be so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi ladies! I have just finished reading the whole 213 pages of this thread - started reading before my baba arrived 12 weeks ago! I have to say the info I have gotten from this thread has been amazing and has helped me to stay exclusively breastfeeding for so long - my first target was 6 weeks and now I feel I will keep going for a long time :D !!

Thanks to all the mamas who have contributed to this thread!! And well done us :):):)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I had a huge rant/breakdown in parent and toddler group today. I got a number for breastfeedin consultant who was lovely and I can Ring her back anytime. Waitin for my health nurse to return my call so I can ask her to check it and I'll know more then. It's the lack of info that got to me. And being terrified of it getting worse!!

On another note. I'm bringing j to a homeopath tomorrow. I'm so hoping it helps him. Are they once off visits? I hope so as its very expensive but if it works I'll be so happy.

Good woman- have a good rant- nothing like it! Good to hear you found a good LC too...
    My husband and I go every month to homeopath which might sound excessive- it's hard to quantify but both of us started off with complaints conventional medicine couldn't fix so now neither of us have been to a doctor since I can't remember when- obviously I went as required when I was pregnant. But my homeopath also treated me throughout my pregnancy too.
    Little fella is a year next week. Never had an antibiotic. Rarely takes calpol etc- even though he has 9 teeth; and is exclusively breastfed- apart from solids obviously.
    I put a lot of this down to homeopathy. I hope we are always in a position to attend our homeopath as necessary. She will also text us which remedy to use if we get sick between visit- I have a kit.

That's great news red fraggle. Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Congrats Soooky. You're about to enter the post 3 month stage where you reap the rewards for all your hard work. Breastfeeding just keeps getting easier and easier. I'm working full time and exclusively breastfeeding a 10 month old which I wouldn't be doing if it wasn't super easy.

wicklori wrote: »
    Good woman- have a good rant- nothing like it! Good to hear you found a good LC too...
    My husband and I go every month to homeopath which might sound excessive- it's hard to quantify but both of us started off with complaints conventional medicine couldn't fix so now neither of us have beeandn to a doctor since I can't remember when- obviously I went as required when I was pregnant. But my homeopath also treated me throughout my pregnancy too.
    Little fella is a year next week. Never had an antibiotic. Rarely takes calpol etc- even though he has 9 teeth; and is exclusively breastfed- apart from solids obviously.
    I put a lot of this down to homeopathy. I hope we are always in a position to attend our homeopath as necessary. She will also text us which remedy to use if we get sick between visit- I have a kit.

The homeopath was lovely! Have me stuff to use for 3 or 4 days and then he he gets blocked up or windy again. So far he is managing to get up some wind. I haven't heard him burp in so long!! Also got remedy for when his teething is bad. She said I can buy my own kit and do it myself. A basic one like. Where would I get a kit? I don't know much about it but I thought she was great and he this works it's great! Seems to be so fingers crossed!

On the mastitis side of things i'm much better but still tired. The lump is still there but I think it's shrinking. .healt nurse said wait til antibiotics are gone then go back if lump is still there. She said everyone is different.

• Advertisement

wicklori wrote: »
    My husband and I go every month to homeopath which might sound excessive- it's hard to quantify but both of us started off with complaints conventional medicine couldn't fix so now neither of us have beeandn to a doctor since I can't remember when- obviously I went as required when I was pregnant. But my homeopath also treated me throughout my pregnancy too.

The homeopath was lovely! Have me stuff to use for 3 or 4 days and then he he gets blocked up or windy again. So far he is managing to get up some wind. I haven't heard him burp in so long!! Also got remedy for when his teething is bad. She said I can buy my own kit and do it myself. A basic one like. Where would I get a kit? I don't know much about it but I thought she was great and he this works it's great! Seems to be so fingers crossed!

On the mastitis side of things i'm much better but still tired. The lump is still there but I think it's shrinking. .healt nurse said wait til antibiotics are gone then go back if lump is still there. She said everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Question for the gals who are feeding but also have another child: do you have any sort of techniques or methods to keep a toddler out of trouble while you're attached to baby? Had the parenting day from hell today, and only narrowly escaped several trips to a&e simply cause my 2 year old knows that I can't react as well when I'm feeding the little one. All the parenting/discipline sites say to remove a toddler from the source of danger if they're being bold, but with baby latched on that's impossible, at least if a quick reaction is required (we're talking toddler climbing on chair to jump on the cat, that kind of stuff)! I also don't want to be the shouty mum, but at the moment that's all I can think of...short of stopping breastfeeding as a bottle is easier to put down.

Any tips, tricks, strategies? Timeouts etc are all very well, after, but don't work in the heat of the moment as I can't put him into it....help please!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

galah wrote: »
    Question for the gals who are feeding but also have another child: do you have any sort of techniques or methods to keep a toddler out of trouble while you're attached to baby? Had the parenting day from hell today, and only narrowly escaped several trips to a&e simply cause my 2 year old knows that I can't react as well when I'm feeding the little one. All the parenting/discipline sites say to remove a toddler from the source of danger if they're being bold, but with baby latched on that's impossible, at least if a quick reaction is required (we're talking toddler climbing on chair to jump on the cat, that kind of stuff)! I also don't want to be the shouty mum, but at the moment that's all I can think of...short of stopping breastfeeding as a bottle is easier to put down.

Any tips, tricks, strategies? Timeouts etc are all very well, after, but don't work in the heat of the moment as I can't put him into it....help please!

Distraction of some kinds works best for my 20 month old girl. If she's doing something she shouldn't be I ask her to do something else that she enjoys - she'll get her dolly put it in the buggy and go for a walk. She also loves colouring/scribbling so I'll take colours and paper out before feeding. She'll also beside me for a story. If they don't work cartoons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Galah I've been wondering that myself: due next week and my 20 month old is exceptionally good at climbing and fast and thinks of the most random things to do! I'm really hoping a combination if colouring, reading, dollies and barney if all else fails works. I've gotten a stretchy style close sling too so hoping I can master feeding on the go in it too. Obviously this is all hoping on my part :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

I keep getting mastitis! I was fine for the first three months or so, but this last month has been just awful between fever, plugged ducts, engorgement and last night a very very painful bleb.... I'm so fed up and run down. I want to stop breastfeeding but I'm terrified that things will get worse if I try to stop.... Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Sorry, I forgot to add that our toddler doesn't do Tele, despite my best efforts. He simply has no interest...;-(

Distraction works to a point, but he really has it sussed that he can do all the dangerous things and push my buttons when I'm feeding the youngest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No sure if anyone knows but a friend is 20 Weeks pregnant and her boobs are about to burst, she leaked alot on her last and didn't bf in the end. She is not leaking yet this time.

Would expressing be a bad idea before the birth this time to relieve pressure?

I guess once she stats she can't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When I was feeding my newborn and I had my 15 month old, she hatred Telly too, everyone said give her your phone! I had a box of special toys that I only took out at feeding time and later I got a present of one of those kids tablet things, this worked perfectly add I took it off her when little guy was feed !

To the poor lady suffering, I hope you are getting the best food and rest possible (I know that may be a joke when you have so much to do)

Also I hope you have a breast feeding group to go to, I only went to mine 3 times but I could ask questions on Facebook to them.

Is your Phn any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

@doctorboo I've never experienced mastitis but id recommend trying breast shells as they would allow ur boobs to leak away all day so might keep the pressure off and stop engorgement....might work?

If my 2 year old is being cold while I feed I ask her to get me something or look at that out the window and seen all excited. I try set her up with her snacks and a toy or get her to do a jigsaw toy with me or read. Doesn't work all the time but it's not. Bad. Tv then is my last resort!!

• Advertisement

If my 2 year old is being cold while I feed I ask her to get me something or look at that out the window and seen all excited. I try set her up with her snacks and a toy or get her to do a jigsaw toy with me or read. Doesn't work all the time but it's not. Bad. Tv then is my last resort!!

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    I keep getting mastitis! I was fine for the first three months or so, but this last month has been just awful between fever, plugged ducts, engorgement and last night a very very painful bleb.... I'm so fed up and run down. I want to stop breastfeeding but I'm terrified that things will get worse if I try to stop.... Any advice?

So sorry I can't help but my little man is just over 3 months and I got mastitis too. Dunno how but a week on and I'm only gettin back to myself. Nothin I did got rid of the lump but I think it's starting to go. He it's not gone by Wed I'll be back to doc! It's very upsetting!

So sorry I can't help but my little man is just over 3 months and I got mastitis too. Dunno how but a week on and I'm only gettin back to myself. Nothin I did got rid of the lump but I think it's starting to go. He it's not gone by Wed I'll be back to doc! It's very upsetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Thanks for all the replies. I find it very hard to contact the public health nurse but i have found a breastfeeding support group is great. They suggested taking lecithin and vitamin C supplements so I'll try that for a while and hope things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Made it to six months. Don't know how,but looking back all the hassle has been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Congratulations Lazygal. It's great when you can reap all the rewards for the hard work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

hi folks

looking for some advice on getting my five month old to take a bottle, she's been EBF since birth and i've enjoyed every last minute of it but my return to work is looming on the horizon and i really need her to take a bottle. I have briefly spoken to my local La Leche League group and she said that returning to work and continuing to BF is possible, i feel i don't want to go down that road of expressing and putting the burden on my mother and mother in law of trying to spoon the milk into my daughter, i NEED to have the option of the bottle now. I don't mind breast feeding at nite while she can take the bottle during the day. At the moment she feeds very little during the day, but come 8.30/9 a nite she'll feed constantly up to 11 or 12 to "tank up" for the night. I want to have the option of a night out or away from her also so that someone else can care for her.

We've been trying on and off since she was 8 weeks old but all she does is bite and chew the bottle teet and push it around and out of her mouth. I've tried expressed breast milk and formula, warm and cold, different bottles different teets, a sippy cup with a latex teet and she won't take anything.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about the whole situation today, there is so much information out there and alot of it is conflicting "don't try the bottle when she's hungry -v- try her when shes starving". My biggest concern is that if/when i do leave her to go back to work or out for a nite that i'll be so anxious and be worrying that shes at home crying looking for the boob and refusing to take a bottle/cup. I tried again today, and my mum did too and my daughter got so upset - it was the most upset i've seen her ever. Usually she just gets fussy and whinges but today she was full on crying with tears and was even sobbing on and off 10 mins after i put her on the boob.... i just feel defeated and feel like i'll never get her to take a bottle/cup. I breast fed my first daughter (who is 3yr) for 3 months and she chopped and changed between bottle/boob no probs, i know every baby is different, but if i'd known i was going to have this much trouble getting her to take a bottle it would have put me off BF this time round :( which makes me sad coz i wanted to BF for longer second time round... i guess what they say "be careful what you wish for".

I guess i'm just feeling total exhaustion now looking after a toddler and EBF for 5 months, i don't necessarily want to give up BF totally but want the option of having "time off" from it

Has anyone any useful tips or advice for me????

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

kassie wrote: »
    hi folks

looking for some advice on getting my five month old to take a bottle, she's been EBF since birth and i've enjoyed every last minute of it but my return to work is looming on the horizon and i really need her to take a bottle. I have briefly spoken to my local La Leche League group and she said that returning to work and continuing to BF is possible, i feel i don't want to go down that road of expressing and putting the burden on my mother and mother in law of trying to spoon the milk into my daughter, i NEED to have the option of the bottle now. I don't mind breast feeding at nite while she can take the bottle during the day. At the moment she feeds very little during the day, but come 8.30/9 a nite she'll feed constantly up to 11 or 12 to "tank up" for the night. I want to have the option of a night out or away from her also so that someone else can care for her.

We've been trying on and off since she was 8 weeks old but all she does is bite and chew the bottle teet and push it around and out of her mouth. I've tried expressed breast milk and formula, warm and cold, different bottles different teets, a sippy cup with a latex teet and she won't take anything.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about the whole situation today, there is so much information out there and alot of it is conflicting "don't try the bottle when she's hungry -v- try her when shes starving". My biggest concern is that if/when i do leave her to go back to work or out for a nite that i'll be so anxious and be worrying that shes at home crying looking for the boob and refusing to take a bottle/cup. I tried again today, and my mum did too and my daughter got so upset - it was the most upset i've seen her ever. Usually she just gets fussy and whinges but today she was full on crying with tears and was even sobbing on and off 10 mins after i put her on the boob.... i just feel defeated and feel like i'll never get her to take a bottle/cup. I breast fed my first daughter (who is 3yr) for 3 months and she chopped and changed between bottle/boob no probs, i know every baby is different, but if i'd known i was going to have this much trouble getting her to take a bottle it would have put me off BF this time round :( which makes me sad coz i wanted to BF for longer second time round... i guess what they say "be careful what you wish for".

I guess i'm just feeling total exhaustion now looking after a toddler and EBF for 5 months, i don't necessarily want to give up BF totally but want the option of having "time off" from it

Has anyone any useful tips or advice for me????

I can't say I've experienced this myself. I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old and she has taken bottles from time to time without much issue. She'll typically take the bottle when I'm having time off so I'm not around her when she gets it. I have noticed that if I'm in the room she'll fuss alot more and struggle against the bottle. As soon as I leave she'll gulp it down.

How about leaving her with your mam or partner for an hour in between feeds and getting them to play with the bottle with her. As in, try to give it to her, don't force it but keep reintroducing it over the hour. As its in between feeds she wont be starving and if you're not there she might not stress so much. They really do pick up on our panic.

Give it another couple of days and see how things go. Hopefully you'll get some more tips here from mammies who've been through it. I know you feel it at the moment but don't regret breastfeeding her, you've given her the best start and this is just a little bump in the road which you'll get threw together :)

• Advertisement

I think the 5 month mark is a bittersweet one when breastfeeding. If your baby hasn't done it already they're about to stretch their feeds out which is great. My son could go up to 7 hours during the day. However all the happy hormones are gone and you're exhausted from a lack of real sleep (unless you're very lucky to have a good sleeper!).

I know I nearly cracked at 5 months on both babies.

For going back to work your little one doesn't need formula during the day if you're going to continue breastfeeding when you're together. Just give lots of solid food during the day. I'm doing this for the second time and both times it's worked out fine. So that's one less thing to stress about.

As regards the bottle all I can suggest is you keep trying but when she's full from either solids or breastmilk. Try to break the association of bottle and upset. Also start introducing a sippy cup of water with solids. Eventually she'll take to the cup so even if she won't drink from the bottle she will drink from that.

Advertisement