Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know of any musical facts that more people should be aware of?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

karaokeman wrote: »
    Jimmy MacCarthy has paved the way for the successes of Tommy Fleming, Christy Moore, Mary Black and others in trad music.

Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Judas Priest recorded material for Stock, Aitken and Waterman :eek::eek::eek:

To this day, the material has never been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft.

A++++++, would read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Tbh I actually wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one posting in this thread that knows who Jimmy MacCarthy is.

Anyway weren't Grand Funk Railroad extremely mainstream in 1969 and then into the 70s after their performance at the Atlanta Pop Festival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Stiff Little Fingers' debut album Inflammable Material was the first indie album to break the UK top 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

Maybe everyone who would be potentially interested knows this, but Lawrence Donegan, ex-bassist with Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, is now the Guardian's golf correspondent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

cloptrop wrote: »
    There is a band n the musician section called the minstrells , they need a guitarist or something , their name doesnt need to be changed apparantly.
    The word minstrel predates white Americans putting black make up on their faces and singing.
    noun 1. a medieval poet and musician who sang or recited while accompanying himself on a stringed instrument, either as a member of a noble household or as an itinerant troubadour.

2. a musician, singer, or poet.

3. one of a troupe of comedians, usually white men made up as black performers, presenting songs, jokes, etc.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/minstrel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The word minstrel predates white Americans putting black make up on their faces and singing....
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. Minstrels came in little packets and these uber-pc days they are called M&Ms and act in their own info-mercials during the Max Factor and other educational documentaries.

On Topic head on: The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is the first record to have a gate-fold album cover and to have all the lyrics printed on it. The front cover was also the most expensive ever produced up to that time and for some considerable time afterwards, by a factor of about 90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Rod Stewart play's the harmonica solo on the hit song 'My Boy Lollipop '

Rick Wakeman play's the piano on David Bowies 'Life On Mars '

John Lennon sings the squeaky vocal ' fame' on David Bowies hit 'Fame '

Brian and Carl Wilson sing the high falsetto notes on Elton Johns original version of 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me ' .

The Beach Boys song 'Warmth Of The Sun ' was written and recorded as a tribute ,shortly after the death of President Kennedy .

Apparently George Martin prefered a session drummer on 'Love Me Do ' as layed down on the track over Ringo Starr .

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    ... Apparently George Martin prefered a session drummer on 'Love Me Do ' as layed down on the track over Ringo Starr .

It's true Ringo didn't play but the reasons he didn't are a bit more complex.

Between the 'audition' recording, taken by one of Martin's engineers, and the commercial recording session, the Beatles changed drummers. This was engineered by Brian Epstein once he was solidly entrenched as the Beatles' manager and had begun to ring the changes.

Pete Best's mother, who ran a cafe / coffee shop in Iiverpool, was actually the Beatles' unofficial booking agent. Brian had to change this in order to be in complete control of the Beatles' destiny. If he severed the connection with Mrs. Best, he was faced with having Pete, the disaffected son as a band member. So he did what any good entrepreneur would do and cleaned house, using the poor audition performance as his lever

Martin, having been briefed by his engineer about the nightmare audition Best had had, booked a session drummer without ever having heard Ringo play. When Ringo showed up Martin had no idea he was a different drummer to the one on the audition and having already booked and paid for a session drummer, he used him so Ringo sat on the sidelines.

mathepac It's true Ringo didn't play but the reasons he didn't are a bit more complex.

Between the 'audition' recording, taken by one of Martin's engineers, and the commercial recording session, the Beatles changed drummers. This was engineered by Brian Epstein once he was solidly entrenched as the Beatles' manager and had begun to ring the changes.
    Pete Best's mother, who ran a cafe / coffee shop in Iiverpool, was actually the Beatles' unofficial booking agent. Brian had to change this in order to be in complete control of the Beatles' destiny. If he severed the connection with Mrs. Best, he was faced with having Pete, the disaffected son as a band member. So he did what any good entrepreneur would do and cleaned house, using the poor audition performance as his lever
    The Beatles press oficer at the time ,Tony Barrow in his book ' John Paul Geroge Ringo & me ' relates this story which makes more sense than all those other myths about Best's sacking from the group ie, he was to good looking ,to surley ,to serious etc which was not fair on Best but you couldn't have his mother calling the shots and was the best move for the group at the time .

Martin, having been briefed by his engineer about the nightmare audition Best had had, booked a session drummer without ever having heard Ringo play. When Ringo showed up Martin had no idea he was a different drummer to the one on the audition and having already booked and paid for a session drummer, he used him so Ringo sat on the sidelines
    As Barrow also mentions in his book ,Ringo on seeing this session drummer thought his career with the Beatles over before it really began .

The really good-looking Beatle was Stuart Sutcliffe whose only real job seemed to be to attract the young ladies. He was a pretty talentless bass-player by all accounts and when he quit the band to shack up with Klaus Voormann's girl-friend, the photographer and image-maker Astrid Kirchherr in Hamburg, the bass duties fell to Paul who up to then had been Mr Pianoman & rhythm guitarist. The Beatles went home and on the same day as their return to trip to Hamburg started, Stuart died, apparently of a brain haemorrhage; he never made it back to Liverpool alive and he and his best friend John Lennon never saw each other again.

Some of my sources are "The Beatles Anthology" by The Beatles and "The Beatles - 10 Years That Shook the World" edited by Paul Trynka and my own head so full of stuff that I can't even trace the origins or veracity of most of it. :D

mathepac wrote: »
    The really good-looking Beatle was Stuart Sutcliffe whose only real job seemed to be to attract the young ladies. He was a pretty talentless bass-player by all accounts and when he quit the band to shack up with Klaus Voormann's girl-friend, the photographer and image-maker Astrid Kirchherr in Hamburg, the bass duties fell to Paul who up to then had been Mr Pianoman & rhythm guitarist. The Beatles went home and on the same day as their return to trip to Hamburg started, Stuart died, apparently of a brain haemorrhage; he never made it back to Liverpool alive and he and his best friend John Lennon never saw each other again.
    Paul resented Stuart because not only could he not play bass or any guitar but he was also much closer to John at the time .

There is also the rumor that Sturt had an argument with John one night which resulted in a beating from him ,which may have played it's part in Stuarts brain tumor but then it's all part of Beatle mythology ,depending on what source it came from and what some believe ( or want to believe )
    Some of my sources are "The Beatles Anthology" by The Beatles and "The Beatles - 10 Years That Shook the World" edited by Paul Trynka and my own head so full of stuff that I can't even trace the origins or veracity of most of it. :D
    Which like myself ,marks you out as a true Beatle anorack ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

Doc Pomus, who wrote the lyrics to Save The Last Dance For Me, was a wheelchair user.
    The Marriage of Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry, who wrote Chapel of Love, only lasted three years.

When Brian Wilson stopped touring with the Beach Boys in the mid sixties Glen Campbell, who filled in for him on stage , was asked to become a full time Beach Boy but he refused instead to concentrate on his own solo career .

Advertisement