Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prepaid credit cards-which ones?

• 27-08-2011 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

As title says
    There are few top-up credit cards on the market, but which one of them is the best. Looking for with no monthly fees if it's inactive for 3 months as it's in PAYZONE and the lowest cost when You top up. I heard about http://www.bishopstowncu.ie/ it looks good, but can get it only in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dr.Dre

asgaard wrote: »
    As title says
    There are few top-up credit cards on the market, but which one of them is the best. Looking for with no monthly fees if it's inactive for 3 months as it's in PAYZONE and the lowest cost when You top up. I heard about http://www.bishopstowncu.ie/ it looks good, but can get it only in Cork.

The bishopstown credit union pre-paid credit card is probably the best one going.However you can only get it in cork and if your a member.

The reasons why it is better is because there are no fees like there is with 3V Credit.

I have used 3V and a swirldcard(visit swirlcard.com) to order one.

3V Pros

Can be used everywhere online with the VISA sign.

Can send remaining funds to bank account.

Can check how much credit is left on 3v.ie

3V Cons

Fees of €2.50 on 3V credit at 30€ or more.

Fees of €2.50 for transferring remaining funds to bank account or other 3v credit.

Lowest you can buy is 20€

Swirlcard Pros

Same as above.

Minimum of 10€ can be bought!

Swirldcard Cons

Cannot be added to your ebay account to pay fees etc.

A fee of €2.50 applies to every voucher bought!

Hope this helps.

P.s Swirlcard is Mastercard not VISA

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dannyod

The Bishopstown Card is the best by far and their policy for limiting it to members in Cork may change when forthcoming changes to credit union policy is announced by the regulator.

Keep in touch with them and you may become eligible for one of their cards soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

It would be great if everyone could get the card that Bishopstown Credit Union offer. Even without being able to avoid the Ryanair fees it is still the best offering out there bar none!

I love the fact that they text you each time you use it. That freaked out some of my friends when i showed it to them first. Now they wonder why the so-called 'leading' financial institutions don't offer this service to their customers! They would probably only charge for it if they did. Am delighted to say Bishopstown don't.

Perhaps Credit Unions will become the alternative to abnks for everyone. It certainly has for me. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wildBoarding

I've been looking at prepaid credit cards aswell, particularly for buying off amazon...

I also saw swirlcard.com

does anyone know:
    1. minimum of €10 can be bought = I can only buy €10 or more off amazon?
    2. and obviously I would top this card up from my bank acc?

thanks

Advertisement