Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Marty in the Morning, music for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

I don't know if this is in any way relevant to Marty on Lyric but it just struck a chord with me.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/bland-on-bland-2995778.html

I don't know if this is in any way relevant to Marty on Lyric but it just struck a chord with me.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/bland-on-bland-2995778.html

Not only does the good doc write better than anyone working for the Indo stable but he is bang on. Marty is a particularly distressing symptom of the RTE malaise, being allowed to babble on inanely between bouts of dead at birth MOR.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lyric just tweeted that Marty is off for a couple of days and Trish Taylor is sitting in. Rejoice.

Must re-tune for tomorrow morning!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Lyric just tweeted that Marty is off for a couple of days and Trish Taylor is sitting in. Rejoice.

Must re-tune for tomorrow morning!!

Happy days :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I could happily listen to Trish Taylor read the phonebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I only caught part of the show this morning but did she not really just go through the same sort of playlist marty would normally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Yes, ntlbell, I believe she largely did..... many many John Barry tracks including Born ****in Free (again), Superman main theme, Ella Fitz and a showtune from Oliver!

In fairness, it wasn't as bad as an average Marty Whelan morning (Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street' followed by Grieg anyone?) with probably a bit more core classical content.

It would suggest to me that the production people involved are now so abused by the terrible mix of music on MITM that they don't know any better. That or they're tone deaf anyway and were recruited specifically to work on a train wreck like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

ntlbell wrote: »
    I only caught part of the show this morning but did she not really just go through the same sort of playlist marty would normally?

I have to agree with you, not only was the music disappointing but having to listen to Her natter on about some bloody tv program and who got Oscars for whatever. Lyric have already set aside program slots for this rubbish we don't need it at breakfast time. Looks like I'll have to go back to Radio 1 and the bailouts, ECB, etc etcfrown.gif

Perhaps the time has come to close Lyric and save the taxpayers money, the station has clearly failed in its mission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I listened this morning - the music wasn't terrible but it wasn't brilliant either. She did go a bit with entertainment news.

:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't think it really matters who presents this show. The production team behind it rightly or wrongly have a direction they want to push it regardless of who's in the chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

ntlbell wrote: »

Bound by management to play the same rubbish as Marty I would guess. You couldnt have a sub coming and improving the quality of the programme. People might enjoy it. More people might listen to Lyric. Which would be contrary to the Lyric policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Hahah, Hugo is trolling the comments section. :D

This is the comment that Hugo left on the latest JNLR figures. Where does he get the evidence on a surge in listenership for MITM?

Hugo:The rise in RTE Lyric FM's figures is very encouraging. It demonstrates that the station is in tune with the public mood. The shift towards a more broadly-based conception of public service broadcasting in the musical field is clearly paying dividends. The public now wants a warmer musical output in cold economic times, and gets it. The surge in listenership for Marty in the Morning is particularly pleasing. It's the foundation in the morning, building an audience to stay with the service throughout the day. Hoping for yet further increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Fair play to him. I like the comment left by someone after his, saying Hugo must be 'Jim Corr's brother'.

There was an increase in the MITM listenership to 25000 listeners.
    That's up 6 thousand, year-on-year. Up 1 thousand, book-on-book.

Is that a surge?

It seems John Kelly increased his listenership to 35,000 playing Mongolian noseflute music and Leonard Cohen.

The daily programme with the highest listenership is Classic Drive - a show that seems to just play classical music with 57000 listeners each day.
    Is there perhaps a lesson in this? Anyone?......Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hugo is also practically a daily contributor to MITM at this stage with his observations on life and the antics of his erstwhile 'wife' Daphne. It is often quite amusing and pretty well written.

It's a pity he dirtied his copybook around here as I enjoyed his wind-ups...

Heard a few minutes of mitm today. I will never be a fan of mw but i was really disgusted to hear his snide comment after an advertisement for Gerry Godley's "Reels to Ragas" was played. Whelan's aside was "Well i'm convinced". Whelan we know that this genre would not be his scene but don't insult his audience please. Showed a lack of class and a nasty side to marty.

Later on in the day Whelan was doing a voiceover advertising the Met Opera's HD production of Verdi's opera "Ernani". Really beggars belief doesn't it.

Later on in the day Whelan was doing a voiceover advertising the Met Opera's HD production of Verdi's opera "Ernani". Really beggars belief doesn't it.

What idiot though getting him to advertise an opera would actually help sales? It would be like David Norris advertising for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I will never be a fan of mw but i was really disgusted to hear his snide comment after an advertisement for Gerry Godley's "Reels to Ragas" was played. Whelan's aside was "Well i'm convinced".

I think that's a hilarious comment from Marty. :D

I saw Gerry Godley on The View one night a few years back. The guy took himself way too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just happened on this thread today, Hurrah! I'm not going out of my mind. Someone else hears it too! I have just gone back to a commute in the morning the last month, and was happily listening to Liz for a few days, when Bammo, Marty Whelan comes on the scene. I thought he was a stand-in. But no, he is the permanent. Has lyric become a retirement home for those past their appeal on the other stations?

I am gutted. I used to love the Opera 'Cereal' segment ... where there would be a quick description of the opera and what was going on, and a short piece of music. I'm no aficionado by a long shot, so I felt I was getting a very accessible introduction to some opera, which I don't normally have time to listen to.

Some of the choices are ok, but I've heard them all before. Where is the adventure, the sense that I am hearing this for the first time in ages. The playlists are put together in a very disjointed way, and far too much Marty Waffle. Why does he put on voices and accents? Annoying.

A better indicator might be my passenger, who at 10 months old, waves and claps her hands on our commute to the music, which is all new to her, and screams blue murder when Marty starts to "speak".

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

pwurple wrote: »
    A better indicator might be my passenger, who at 10 months old, waves and claps her hands on our commute to the music, which is all new to her, and screams blue murder when Marty starts to "speak".
    + 1

(And I'm a grown adult! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

Nevore wrote: »
    Hahah, Hugo is trolling the comments section. :D

God I miss Hugo, he was hilarious. He got up so many people's noses off here, it was pure trolling genius. :D

I think that's a hilarious comment from Marty. :D

I saw Gerry Godley on The View one night a few years back. The guy took himself way too seriously.

So,it's hilarious to make sarcastic remarks on other presenter's shows. No, it is plainly rude. MW should be in sack-cloth and ashes. The temerity of this mis-fit is baffling. It demonstrates that he has no grasp on the importance of music in the lives of many people. Gerry Godley has introduced me to many artists i would not have had the opportunity of being acquainted with. MW and music are not even fourth cousins. Ronan Gilligan used to be a good boy on AA Roadwatch but he has fallen into Marty's wormhole of incessant tripe and natter. This morning he seemed to be obsessed with Neven Maguire becoming a father of twins. Who cares?

Heard a few minutes of mitm today. I will never be a fan of mw but i was really disgusted to hear his snide comment after an advertisement for Gerry Godley's "Reels to Ragas" was played. Whelan's aside was "Well i'm convinced". Whelan we know that this genre would not be his scene but don't insult his audience please. Showed a lack of class and a nasty side to marty.

So,it's hilarious to make sarcastic remarks on other presenter's shows. No, it is plainly rude. MW should be in sack-cloth and ashes. The temerity of this mis-fit is baffling. It demonstrates that he has no grasp on the importance of music in the lives of many people. Gerry Godley has introduced me to many artists i would not have had the opportunity of being acquainted with. MW and music are not even fourth cousins. Ronan Gilligan used to be a good boy on AA Roadwatch but he has fallen into Marty's wormhole of incessant tripe and natter. This morning he seemed to be obsessed with Neven Maguire becoming a father of twins. Who cares?

Is that you Hugo?? ;):D
    Marty started the show with a movement from Vivald's Four Seasons again today. How does he do it? Absolute brilliance. He seemed a bit shell-shocked with the announcement of the impending depature of Kathryn from WS. I sent him an encouraging text. If you can somehow get a copy of Saturday's Independent weekend supplement you will find a sumptuous Christmas pudding recipe originating from the old days of MacNean. Time to get out the plastic bowls, tin foil and twine.

pwurple wrote: »
    Just happened on this thread today, Hurrah! I'm not going out of my mind. Someone else hears it too! I have just gone back to a commute in the morning the last month, and was happily listening to Liz for a few days, when Bammo, Marty Whelan comes on the scene. I thought he was a stand-in. But no, he is the permanent. Has lyric become a retirement home for those past their appeal on the other stations?

I am gutted. I used to love the Opera 'Cereal' segment ... where there would be a quick description of the opera and what was going on, and a short piece of music. I'm no aficionado by a long shot, so I felt I was getting a very accessible introduction to some opera, which I don't normally have time to listen to.

Some of the choices are ok, but I've heard them all before. Where is the adventure, the sense that I am hearing this for the first time in ages. The playlists are put together in a very disjointed way, and far too much Marty Waffle. Why does he put on voices and accents? Annoying.

I know how she feels.

What you say about opera cereal makes a lot of sense. To introduce people to new music you don't have to package it with a gabby DJ or dilute it with a pile of MOR elevator music. An informed presenter who loves the music and wants to share the pleasure with others is way way better.

Years ago RTE1 used to have Des Keogh who presented "music for middlebrows". The man (incidentally way more talented and funnier than MW) loved the music and introduced a lot of people (including me) to it. It wasn't perhaps the most adventurous playlist but it didn't aim to be. For opera there was the wonderful O'Brien on Song playing truly great singers that will now never be heard again on Irish radio.

I wish Marty no ill. There is a place for his inane patter and easy listening music. Its called 2 FM and it has a much bigger audience. Maybe they can bring him home.

Is that you Hugo?? ;):D

You have taken those quotes out of their context. I got fed up of Hugo trolling the thread so i said |"if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". I have always been against MW on Lyric but to give Hugo his due he certainly livened up things on here.

You have taken those quotes out of their context. I got fed up of Hugo trolling the thread so i said |"if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". I have always been against MW on Lyric but to give Hugo his due he certainly livened up things on here.

Well Maggie, it wouldn't be the first time that Hugo has carried on conflicting conversations with himself using two separate accounts........

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

I can remember when Lyric FM started a dozen years ago or so. I remember thinking what a pleasure it was to have lovely music and knowledgeable presenters (anyone remember that great guy from the US who used to present the original breakfast show?).
    Now we’re reduced to RTE’s version of a cheesy game-show host playing Peter blessed Gabriel and Rod blinking Stewart interspersed with third rate witless Terry Wogan impressions .
    I have literally given up: he’s driven me from Lyric completely.

• Advertisement

Coleyoscar wrote: »
    I can remember when Lyric FM started a dozen years ago or so. I remember thinking what a pleasure it was to have lovely music and knowledgeable presenters (anyone remember that great guy from the US who used to present the original breakfast show?).
    Now we’re reduced to RTE’s version of a cheesy game-show host playing Peter blessed Gabriel and Rod blinking Stewart interspersed with third rate witless Terry Wogan impressions .
    I have literally given up: he’s driven me from Lyric completely.

+1

RTE take a bow. The thing is, the people currently in charge are different from those who set it up so maybe they just don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement