Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

• 14-02-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Hi Mods,

Would it be possible to start up a Galway GAA discussion thread for both hurling and football?

I'll get the ball rolling :D

http://www.hoganstand.com/Galway/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=142184

Galway football has been plunged into uncertainty following the news that experienced pair Kieran Fitzgerald and Niall Coleman have withdrawn from Tomás O Flatharta's panel.

Coming a week after the county's first game of the Allianz National Football League, the withdrawals come as a major surprise and a significant blow to the county's hopes of making an impact in Division 1.

O Flatharta's first league game in charge ended in a five-point defeat to a Monaghan side who went into the campaign as relegation favourites, leaving Galway facing an uphill battle to maintain their top flight status.

Fitzgerald's retirement from inter-county football is all the more surprising given that the Corofin man was named as one of three joint captains by O Flatharta just last month.

He has been a fixture in the Galway defence for more than a decade, winning an All-Ireland medal and an All-Star award in 2001.

Appointed captain of the county in 2007, Fitzgerald also appeared at the launch of the 2011 Allianz NFL at Croke Park just two weeks ago.

Coleman, meanwhile, has worn the maroon jersey since 2004.

He cited work commitments as the reason behind his withdrawal from the panel.

Galway take on Down in Newry next weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Is there one or two bad apples in the barrel that need to be cleared out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The poster 'Brain Stroking' posted last week that there was rumours of problems within the camp, and it seems he was probably right. Without knowing the details it's hard to know who's at fault, whether it's the manager or just some disruptive players.

I'd be inclined to blame the manager here though, as it's his job to unite the group and maintain harmony in the squad, that's the man-management side of his job. Never felt O'Flatharta would do much for us and this certainly isn't a good start to his tenure. Losing to NUIG and then an understrength Monaghan, and now two players withdrawing. It doesn't bode well. We're slipping back to the bad old days of the early 90s, way off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I wouldn't mind if we dropped two divisions while we rebuild with a new squad but there seems to be conflict somewhere that needs fixing.
    The Football Board have their hands full at the moment.
    The players didn't want Sammon there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think the general viewpoint is that we've been in the top tier for too long without getting past AI Q-Fs at the very best.

Even in the second division there are the likes of Meath, Klidare, Down, Derry and Sligo that are far better than us. Think we could beat Tyrone though.

Fitzgerald and Coleman are no loss. If we could get Mattew Clancy out too we'd be doing OK.

At least the hurlers are looking good. Impressed with Dónal Barry yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

The team to play Down shows a number of changes from the Monaghan game in defence Colin Forde and David Reilly start in place of Kieran Fitzgerald and Niall Coyne while Joe Bergin returns to the no 10 spot

Galway Team to Play Down
    1 Adrian Faherty
    2 Alan Burke
    3 Finian Hanley
    4 Kieran McGrath
    5 Gary ODonnell
    6 Colin Forde
    7 David Reilly
    8 Garreth Bradshaw
    9 Eddie Hoare
    10 Joe Bergin
    11 Cormac Bane
    12 Gary Sice
    13 Matthew Clancy
    14 Cillín De Paor
    15 Sean Armstrong

Good luck lads

• Advertisement

Hurlers had a great win over Offaly, 1-24 to 1-10. Good shooting lads.

Down 1-07 Galway 0-6 at half time in the football.

Final score Down 2-11 Galway 1-09. Better performance this week. Down scored there second goal in the final minute.

Mayo next, hopefully all Galway supporters get behind the team.

Bergin in the half forward line?..... he's made it pretty clear through the years that he can't kick an accurate ball.

Shame when the two lads left that another 10-12 didn't leave with them, the crisis won't end until we have a clear out which yet another new manager has avoided, has he not watched a Galway game these past 5/6 years?... the squad is much the same now from 2005. :(

Why is there such reluctance to clear out the football squad?... it's happened with the hurlers

OK let's make a list of all the players who need to go.

Mathew Clancy
    Gary Sice
    Joe Bergin
    David Reilly
    Seán Armstrong (hasn't had a good game in at least 3 years)

Who else?

Great to see the hurlers doing well. Really think Farragher can become one of the best Galway mid-fielders ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Why is there such reluctance to clear out the football squad?... it's happened with the hurlers

Sean O'Domhnaill was in the paper today saying the best footballers in Galway are already in the panel. There isn't anyone else.

Bar the minors in 07 and last year our underage teams have not been very good the past 5 years. The U-21's haven't even managed to win a match since 2005. He may have a point. I'd love to see a clearout as well but what's the point of a clear-out if you're only going to be bringing in inferior players. It would be like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It all starts at underage. This is where Galway have got to invest serious time, effort and organisation now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ye're footballers are really a bit up and down at the moment but the hurlers are playing nicely, and farragher is a super hurler - great determination and engine!

• Advertisement

Mathew Clancy
    Gary Sice
    Joe Bergin
    David Reilly

Great to see the hurlers doing well. Really think Farragher can become one of the best Galway mid-fielders ever.

I'd actually keep Armstrong in some capacity.
    Reilly in fairness has only being there one year and didn't get much game time bar last years league where i taught he did well.
    I'd agree on the others though.

Not looking like Farragher will be midfield this year, so far it's been Barry/Burke.
    Sean O'Domhnaill was in the paper today saying the best footballers in Galway are already in the panel. There isn't anyone else.

Bar the minors in 07 and last year our underage teams have not been very good the past 5 years.
    I'd love to see a clearout as well but what's the point of a clear-out if you're only going to be bringing in inferior players. It would be like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It's irrelevant whether or not they are individually the best players in the county.
    Wearing the maroon and playing for Galway on championship form the past 5 years they are among the bottom 10 counties(only notable wins against Mayo).
    If a county like Louth can make a run at the AI with players who are deemed inferior to our own lads, that tells you that there's more to team sports then just ability.

For years now this core of players have proved they cannot beat counties who don't even dream of making AI semi finals, someone somewhere has to say enough and forge a team of players who can commit to an individual task.

So in a county the size of Galway there aren't 15 players who could put the likes of Westmeath, Wexford, Sligo away?.... I agree there isn't the talent to match 1998-2001 but with the tradition in this county there is always enough talent to make a semi final here and there and barely making the 1/4s which is what we've got with this present bunch.

It's not as if this squad has produced here and there, we've consistently being one of the worst counties on Champ form the past 10 years(most of the present squad have been there since 2005 loss to Westmeath), a new bunch could only improve on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mathew Clancy
    Gary Sice
    Joe Bergin
    David Reilly

Who else?

Agree with Gilberto; Clancy and Bergin not going to improve now. Reilly hasn't had a chance yet to establish himself, Sice more of a wing-back and now nearly on his last chance too. Armstrong is the kind of player that has to be 'carried' but is a good scorer and we have no better presently.

No, last year proved that Farragher won't cut it at midfield in the c'ship. Like Galway hurlers themselves, he always seems to do well in the league but fade somewhat in the c'ship. A shame, he's a great talented, sjillful and honest player but perhaps hindered by a lack of pace. Maybe wing-forward will suit him more. David Burke is shaping up to be a really big player for Galway now, hopefully he can steer clear of injury. If he can get a similar partner, still not fully convinced by Barry, then we might at last have a viable platform in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mathew Clancy
    Gary Sice
    Joe Bergin
    David Reilly

Gary Sice played well yesterday, is a good player with a good attitude who can fufill a number of roles. A good squad player.

If you can name any better midfielders in the county than Bergin then be my guest. He is inconsistent, frustrating etc, but on his day he is very good. We need him at the moment.

David Reilly is only young and has had no chance to prove himself yet. What did he do against you, rob your girl at a youth disco or something?

Sean Armstrong is one of the most talented players in the country never mind county. Yes, he's also inconsistent, frustrating, goes missing, but he's serious at his best. We once said the same about Meehan. I'll go on record that Galway will not win anything of note until both Armstrong and N.Joyce are playing at their best. The talent is there, what they need is a manager to get it out of them.

So, all in all, a fairly retarded post. I love how people keep looking for clearout's etc without offering any opinions on who should replace them. Yes, there's a wealth of football talent in the county who just can't get a look in :rolleyes:

Mathew Clancy
    Gary Sice
    Joe Bergin
    David Reilly

Who else?

You're being very harsh on David Reilly, he's relatively new to the setup and deserves more time. Bergin and Clancy I would agree on, Sice was fine at wingback so why didn't they leave him there?

Definitely don't agree with you about Armstrong, inconsistent he may be but he has the ability and for me he has to be in the team, when fit and well he's still one of our better forwards. I can understand why some people might be losing patience with him but he's had a lot of injury problems.

The hurlers seem to be moving well though and we're definitely shaping up as the only realistic challenger to Tipp and KK at the moment. There's huge strength in depth, some really good young players coming through and a manager that's passionate and who I would have faith in, so there's reasons to be optimistic.

I'm very happy with McIntyre so far, he has brought unity to the squad and has them playing with great intensity, something we thought Loughnane would do but he didn't. Galway have always had stylish hurlers but we were lacking a bit of steel that the likes of Brendan Lynskey and Pete Finnerty brought to the mix, that seems to be there now.

Don't agree on Armstrong. Just because he was decent at u-21 he is given a starting place. He isn't good enough. One of the main players who needs a kick up the hole. At least people like Cormac Bane have have great matches for Galway.

Really felt that McIntyre should have left after the Tipp match last year. But when Tipp went on to win I thought he deserved another chance. He seems to be grafting a great side together and he deserves credit for as you said bringing unity to the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Don't agree on Armstrong. Just because he was decent at u-21 he is given a starting place. He isn't good enough. One of the main players who needs a kick up the hole. At least people like Cormac Bane have have great matches for Galway.

Really felt that McIntyre should have left after the Tipp match last year. But when Tipp went on to win I thought he deserved another chance. He seems to be grafting a great side together and he deserves credit for as you said bringing unity to the side.
    Agree with you on the football, how long ago since Mike Meahan and Sean Armstrong were the new terrible twins? While Meahan has lived up to that Army has failed to deliver . I would always have him in the squad but as an impact sub.
    Cormac Bane is good enough to merit a starting place there is a bit of class to his style of play( he got the score of the match against Monaghan I thought ) I wish we had 6 or 7 more players as good.

With great respect to the lad, it's more than I can remember. The odd good bit of play maybe......

MfMan wrote: »
    With great respect to the lad, it's more than I can remember. The odd good bit of play maybe......

Cormac Bane is one of our most accurate forwards, he may not do a lot in general play but he can kick 3 or 4 points from play in any game, and that's good enough for me.

And Disbhal Beag, John McIntyre is the best hurling manager we've had in years. We'll win an All-Ireland during his term of management. Or we'll be thereabouts I guarantee you.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Cormac Bane is one of our most accurate forwards, he may not do a lot in general play but he can kick 3 or 4 points from play in any game, and that's good enough for me.

That's what Sean Armstrong does, and IMHO he's a bit more accurate than Bane. Much of a muchness anyway.
    And Disbhal Beag, John McIntyre is the best hurling manager we've had in years. We'll win an All-Ireland during his term of management. Or we'll be thereabouts I guarantee you.

We're thereabouts most years, we really have to cross the line soon.

You want to get rid of Sice, Bergin, Clancy and Armstrong.

Right, so by your logic, we should start with a front 6 the next day consisting of....

Breatnach, De Paor, Bane, Cummins....em who else, who else, who else???

I can see Mayo quaking in their boots with the prospect of playing against 1 decent forward, 1 youngster and 2 club standard players.

How can people be so ****ing niave. We have had 2 new managers in the past 2 years. Do you not think they have tried out every half decent footballer in the county? Hell, Kernan was searching out Junior clubs looking for footballers. EVERYONE HAS BEEN TRIED OUT. This is it, our current squad is the best there is, so will people shut up asking for clearout's, X & Y to be dropped and just start supporting the team.

This isn't just directed at you Diabhal, this is a response to every retarded thing Ive read or heard in the past 2 years.

Drop Padraig Joyce......He might have been our Man of the match in all 4 games last year, but still, he's too old, get rid of him, we need new blood......sure your limbs fall off once you reach 33.

Drop Nicky Joyce......He has the wrong attitude etc, doesn't want to know etc, what does it matter if he's one of our most consistent score getters, what does it matter if he was the single best player the club championship last year, drop him.

Drop Joe Bergin.....He frustrating, he's inconsistent, can't catch a ball, can't kick a score. It doesn't matter that he basically beat Tyrone on his own in the league the past 2 years. It doesn't matter he carry's a Mountbellew side to county contention most years. He might be easily our best midfielder, but he kicked 2 wides the last day, drop him.

Drop Sean Armstrong....Hasn't fufilled his potential, blah, blah, blah. Forget all the injuries he's had. Sure forget that he's widely regarded ads probably our most talented player. Forget that in recent years, while not playing to potential, he has still been one of our better players. Don't blame the manager who can't get the best out of him. No, sure teams always fare better by dropping their most talented player. Get rid

Drop Finian Hanley. It doesn't matter that he's only played 1 bad game in 3 years, drop him.

How about we start with Meehan up front against Mayo in the championship and surround him with 5 minors? Sounds like a winning formula.

I could say the same as above about Sice, Clancy, Conroy, Bradshaw, Blake....Do people actually think there is better talent in the county than them?

And for all the countless idiots that seem to be able to talk about Galway football, very few of them seem to be getting of their arse and going to matches. 2,000 at a home championship match to Wexford...PATHETIC. The support up in Sligo for the important Connacht replay....PATHETIC.

People giving out about their being no spirit in the camp. How the f**k are they supposed to have spirit when every 'Jonny come retard' up on the high stool is giving out about them. How the f**k are they supposed to have spirit when they have to travel to Down and know that about 10 or so fans will bother to make the trip up. Its embarrassing.

We're going out against Mayo in Tuam this Sunday. Local derby, near most, no reason why there shouldn't be a big support there. But no, we'll be outnumbered 5/1 by the travelling Mayo support once again. Why?? "Oh, well I went to the Connacht match on Friday, I couldn't possibly go to another match". "Oh, a tenner on the gate is a rip off, no way i'm paying that". "oooh rain, im staying in". People would rather go support mickey mouse Connacht Rugby, or the perennial losers the hurlers, and forsake the one team that has consistently brought success and pride to the county..the Galway footballers.

So will people shut the f**k up giving out, and go out and support. Not just in league games. Don't let us go up to Sligo again for an important match with a travelling support of just 1000.

Btw, this is probably Padraig Joyce's last season playing football. If for nothing else, at least come and watch him play, because we won't see or have one as good again for a very long time.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands you're not having a sh1t morning by any chance? :rolleyes:

Maybe so but at least it's showing a bit of passion.

Drop Padraig Joyce......He might have been our Man of the match in all 4 games last year, but still, he's too old, get rid of him, we need new blood......sure your limbs fall off once you reach 33.

I've seen this posted a few time alright, for the love and honor of god!!!

Drop Sean Armstrong....Hasn't fufilled his potential, blah, blah, blah. Forget all the injuries he's had. Sure forget that he's widely regarded ads probably our most talented player. Forget that in recent years, while not playing to potential, he has still been one of our better players. Don't blame the manager who can't get the best out of him. No, sure teams always fare better by dropping their most talented player. Get rid

A starting forward for Galway and people want to drop him:eek:

Drop Finian Hanley. It doesn't matter that he's only played 1 bad game in 3 years, drop him.

Yet to see this one but i'm sure it's been said.

And for all the countless idiots that seem to be able to talk about Galway football, very few of them seem to be getting of their arse and going to matches. 2,000 at a home championship match to Wexford...PATHETIC. The support up in Sligo for the important Connacht replay....PATHETIC.

So so true......PATHETIC

I will say this much I wanted big Joe out early on in the year last year, that didn't stop me going to almost every game. (Missed the Cork Game)

Get out and support Galway, Match in Tuam so none of this I hate Salthill craic.

Maybe. This is probably the wrong place to post it too, hoganstand or one of the others would be better. Its not directed at anyone here, just a build of frustration from everthing ive heard recently

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You want to get rid of Sice, Bergin, Clancy and Armstrong.

Right, so by your logic, we should start with a front 6 the next day consisting of....

Breatnach, De Paor, Bane, Cummins....em who else, who else, who else???

I can see Mayo quaking in their boots with the prospect of playing against 1 decent forward, 1 youngster and 2 club standard players.

How can people be so ****ing niave. We have had 2 new managers in the past 2 years. Do you not think they have tried out every half decent footballer in the county? Hell, Kernan was searching out Junior clubs looking for footballers. EVERYONE HAS BEEN TRIED OUT. This is it, our current squad is the best there is, so will people shut up asking for clearout's, X & Y to be dropped and just start supporting the team.

This isn't just directed at you Diabhal, this is a response to every retarded thing Ive read or heard in the past 2 years.

Drop Nicky Joyce......He has the wrong attitude etc, doesn't want to know etc, what does it matter if he's one of our most consistent score getters, what does it matter if he was the single best player the club championship last year, drop him.

Drop Joe Bergin.....He frustrating, he's inconsistent, can't catch a ball, can't kick a score. It doesn't matter that he basically beat Tyrone on his own in the league the past 2 years. It doesn't matter he carry's a Mountbellew side to county contention most years. He might be easily our best midfielder, but he kicked 2 wides the last day, drop him.

How about we start with Meehan up front against Mayo in the championship and surround him with 5 minors? Sounds like a winning formula.

I could say the same as above about Sice, Clancy, Conroy, Bradshaw, Blake....Do people actually think there is better talent in the county than them?

So will people shut the f**k up giving out, and go out and support. Not just in league games. Don't let us go up to Sligo again for an important match with a travelling support of just 1000.

Btw, this is probably Padraig Joyce's last season playing football. If for nothing else, at least come and watch him play, because we won't see or have one as good again for a very long time.
    I would you like to name those good Finian Hanley matches and why he deserves to be captain before calling my statements retarded.

You seem to think I'm a barstool football fan. I go every to single Galway GAA match I can (even some camogie matches every now and then) and my attendance is rewarded by heartless displays against Sligo and Wexford last year. That sure makes me proud of this team :rolleyes:

Armstrong has some talent yes. Our most talented player is a lie. Sure he's been injured but even the best get injured (sup Seán Kavanagh).But he delivers in one match every 12 months seemingly (I'm including league matches against Kerry away in the last good match I've seen him play).

I would never get rid of Padraig Joyce. He's the only thing that has kept us from getting knocked out of Connacht in the preliminary round and the 1st round in qualifiers. I went to the Sligo match last year. The one that Diarmuid Blake threw away for us. I respect the hell out of Padraig for his loyalty.

I'm not here to debate loyalty to my county. I'm sick of paying money to see Seán Armstrong lose possession and not even try to win it back. I'm sick of our non-existent midfield not winning a single kick-out.

I can't blame people for not travelling to away or even home matches when we get shown up to be the **** team in every important match. People aren't going to waste their money on matches anymore and you should never expect them to reward this "team" with good attendances in Pearse Stadium or Tuam.

I wouldn't mind if we lost while giving young players a run-out but we don't. You know it and I know it. Joyce forced to stay on, Clancy starting even Ja Fallon got games in recent times.

I get laughed at by my friends for paying to see the footballers. I feel obliged to stay loyal due to the good times like 98 and 01 when we weren't losing to Wexford, Meath or Donegal in qualifiers.

But hey, according to you I should be happy to continue paying to see us lose.

Should also say that Hanley isn't helped by his backline one single bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Gael85

What happened to likes of Damien OReilly,Conor Doherty,Toto Griffin&Damien Reddington from the 2007 Minor All Ireland winning team?

Gael85 wrote: »
    What happened to likes of Damien OReilly,Conor Doherty,Toto Griffin&Damien Reddington from the 2007 Minor All Ireland winning team?

Reddington went to college in England, Conor Doherty and Toto Griffin are knocking around the county panel now as far as I know. Not sure about Damien O'Reilly. Would have high hopes for Peadar O'Griofa though, looks a serious prospect.

Diabhal like I said before, that post wasn't directed at you. The only bit directed at you was the bit you didn't answer btw. What 6 forwards do you think we should start against Mayo on Sunday, seeing as you want rid of Clancy, Bergin, Sice and Armstrong?

• Advertisement

Should also say that Hanley isn't helped by his backline one single bit.

Very true. Hanley himself is good enough imo but he's had dodgy backs all around him for a few years now, with Kieran Fitz and Damien Burke doing way too much fouling, and Blake offering little resistance when teams run at the Galway defence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement