Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seller sent incorrect item

• 14-02-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭

I bought a replacement charger for an old laptop on eBay last Monday. The listing had the correct laptop name and model number, the size of the connector, voltage etc. However, when it arrived yesterday, I noticed both the connector size and voltage was incorrect (5mm/19V instead of 7.4mm/19.5V). I emailed the seller outlining the error, and they replied with the following:
    Thanks for your useful message,
    Sorry for late reply,we're afraid that our supplier may pack wrong item,could you kindly to keep the item and pay for 2GBP?then we send right item to you,or give better advice,forwards,thanks,
    Warm regards,

The item came from the UK, but the seller is listed as being in Hong Kong.

This is the second time I've received an incorrect item from a seller on eBay. The first time (over 5 years ago now) the seller, a guy in the US, sent me the correct item as soon as I drew his attention to the error. He did this out of his own pocket, didn't ask for the incorrect item back, didn't ask for extra postage.

I'm concerned because the seller is requesting more money. I know it's only £2, but is there anything further that could go wrong if I agree to pay it? Any PayPal scam I may not know about? The fact that they state I don't have to post back the original (to HK I assume) makes me trust them somewhat as £2 is cheaper than whatever registered post would be, but I'm still wary. Saying "or give better advice" seems strange, but it could just be a language barrier thing.

What's recommended? Contest the £2 as it's the seller/suppliers fault, pay the £2 and hope that's the end of it, or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Check up on ebay's and paypal's policies on this issue. As far as I'm aware ebay are a little iffy on who pays the return postage so your best bet may be to pay the £2 as you could get stiffed for return postage. On the other hand you could email them back with the suggestion that you not pay the £2 and they forward the correct item anyway. Other than conversing with the seller you can open a case with ebay. I'm not aware of any scam that would cost you more than the £2 if you choose to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The buyer must cover the cost of return postage.
    However, if the seller values their reputation and feedback, then they might reimburse you.
    If you open a pp dispute, then you will be required by paypal to send the item back to the seller, and if the seller is a dropshipper, then you will have to cover overseas postage cost.
    Plus, you might never see the item or your replacement/refund if you dont send via registered mail..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Zab wrote: »
    Check up on ebay's and paypal's policies on this issue. As far as I'm aware ebay are a little iffy on who pays the return postage so your best bet may be to pay the £2 as you could get stiffed for return postage. On the other hand you could email them back with the suggestion that you not pay the £2 and they forward the correct item anyway. Other than conversing with the seller you can open a case with ebay. I'm not aware of any scam that would cost you more than the £2 if you choose to go that route.
    Theres no "iffy" about it, the buyer always pays for return shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Theres no "iffy" about it, the buyer always pays for return shipment.

Fair enough. Easy decision to pay the £2 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Normal post £2 yes, but he can always claim he never got the returned item...and you wont be able to prove it, and will lose the claim..

• Advertisement
Advertisement