Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing INTB/IBL degree without year abroad?

• 31-07-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 softshock

I'm studying international business with Japanese, and I like the course but really, really don't want to do the compulsory year abroad.
    I know everyone says that it's the best year ever etc. but Japan is so far away, and I have no real interest in the culture or anything.
    Of course I'd like to go to Japan, but a whole year there is just not what I want...

Is there any way to complete the degree without doing the year abroad? Or could I just switch to a degree in business with no language?

Basically, how do I get out of this? :p

(I'm going into second year, by the way and passed all my exams)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

As a computing student I wouldn't know, but I would advise you to contact the education officer in DCU SU and see if he has any ideas, and/or your programme chair or year head. It's important that you let somebody know what you want as soon as possible, hopefully that will allow them to work around it.
    Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

softshock wrote: »
    I'm studying international business with Japanese, and I like the course but really, really don't want to do the compulsory year abroad.
    I know everyone says that it's the best year ever etc. but Japan is so far away, and I have no real interest in the culture or anything.
    Of course I'd like to go to Japan, but a whole year there is just not what I want...

Is there any way to complete the degree without doing the year abroad? Or could I just switch to a degree in business with no language?

Hello person who must be in my Japanese class! :)

Anyway, the basic answer is no. The year abroad is compulsory and they tell you that a million times before the start of the course (well they did in ALIS anyway). Unless there's some serious extenuating circumstances that would prevent you from completing your year abroad, there's no way you can get an International Business degree without doing it.

If you really, REALLY don't want to do the year abroad, I'd advise contacting your year head. The only way out of the situation would be to either withdraw from the course or move to another course. Changing courses has time restrictions and certain requirements though so the sooner you find out if it's possible or not, the better. It's definitely not impossible though and would be the best way to get out of doing the year abroad. I don't know what other sorts of business degrees DCU currently offers but bear in mind you probably won't be studying Japanese anymore.

Did you feel like this when applying for the course or is it just nerves as the year abroad draws closer? Either way, you should really think long and hard about this as once you change you won't be able to go back. But yea, get in contact with your course head first of all to find out the options :) Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Karina Stale Thief

softshock wrote: »

Could you maybe take a year out if you feel your not ready? maybe a year to become a bit more mature might help?

Advertisement