Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Has Almost No Public Transport Really

• 06-12-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Check out this link to all the traffic cams in Dublin City and suburbs and you might as well be looking at webcams from Dallas, Manilla or some Middle Eastern City. There is hardly any signs of public transport. The odd bus shows up now and again (mainly as a result of BAC 1930's culture), but the numbers of cars on the city streets is simply staggering by European stadards. Pull up a similar series of webcams from cities in Europe such as Hamburg, Amsterdam and Helsinki and you see buses, trams and trains everywhere even in suburban streets (not to mention underground metros and rail links you cannot see) and by comparison to Dublin very few cars.

http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/traffic_cameras/

You really have to wonder about the sanity of this Government and the likes of Ivor and Cullen building the crackpot Western Rail Corridor up through rural Mayo to "tackle congestion", or the chambers of comerce in Ireland demanding a crackpot undersea tunnel to Wales while our capital city is practically a public transport free zone.

Do these peple ever get out of their company cars and have a look at what we haven't got already in terms of public transport. This country is a joke really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I know this is only one specific example. 1pm is a time that wouldn't be that busy anyway but I saw quite a few buses! And the new liffey ferry thing

Site0Camera10.jpg

Site0Camera88.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I think you blame the people not the government . Trams and trains that serviced the whole country before became disused. The govermenet didn't do that the people did that by buying cars and using them instead.

The goverenemnt let the builders build becasue people wanted 3 bed semis. If the said no the people would not be happy. People now expect to drive to and from these houses in their cars becasue they want a car not public transport. People now complain about the congestion and the lack of public transport. THe goverenment has no back bone and never stands up against what people want versus what they need and what is best for all.

People here complain about bus lanes and cyclist all the time. They want bigger and wider roads not more public transport .People in Dublin used to cycle to work just look at the old pictures. THe people to blame are the people who wnat public transport so they can drive their cars toi their houses that are in poorly serviced areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The govermenet didn't do that the people did that by buying cars and using them instead.
    Actually the government did do that. The public transport systems from last century (I mean last last century) were still being widely used. But transport ministers in the 50s and 60s dismantled a lot of public transport systems including the trams and the old Harcourt Line (that had to be rebuilt for the Luas), along with a lot of the western rail lines.

The reason being that cars were the "wave of the future" .. this was the "we have to look forward" period of Irish planning and development, that gave use a load of horrible buildings and got rid of the old "out of date" public transport infrastructure. Which is now, ironically enough, being rebuild. In the 50s it was possible to get a train from Harcourt Station (where the Odeon bar is now) all the way to Shankill. It will be 6 years before they rebuild that stretch of the Luas line.

I totally agree with you thought that the people of Dublin have to make a choice, and take some responsibilty. It still amazes me when I hear of people taking their cars to work when the bus, luas or Dart would serve them just as well. Unfortunately you can't force people to take public transport, only encourage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

You can force people to take public transport, by banning or limiting the use of cars. It's the only way to do it. Given the choice, people will take the car, or they'll use public until the rainy day comes when they can't be bothered any more. Other cities have used enforcement (congestion taxes, banning cars) as well as incentives.

Here's the rule: Given a high enough density of population, roads will fill to capacity. Cars will rule if allowed. The number of cars will grow and grow until things almost reach a stand-still. It is up to government to step in and enforce change. But with so much tax money to be made by designing things around cars instead of bicycles or public transport, why should they? We currently have the "car" government.

Personally, the idea that able-bodied people should take cars from the suburbs of Dublin into the centre, instead of walking, catching a bus or train or especially cycling, is absolutely preposterous and if you'd told someone from 100 years ago that this would be the case, they wouldn't believe you.

And yes, Dublin's tram system was apparently a marvel. It was demolished because cars were the thing.

Wicknight wrote:
    Actually the government did do that. The public transport systems from last century (I mean last last century) were still being widely used. But transport ministers in the 50s and 60s dismantled a lot of public transport systems including the trams and the old Harcourt Line (that had to be rebuilt for the Luas), along with a lot of the western rail lines.

The reason being that cars were the "wave of the future" .. this was the "we have to look forward" period of Irish planning and development, that gave use a load of horrible buildings and got rid of the old "out of date" public transport infrastructure. Which is now, ironically enough, being rebuild. In the 50s it was possible to get a train from Harcourt Station (where the Odeon bar is now) all the way to Shankill. It will be 6 years before they rebuild that stretch of the Luas line.

THey closed public transport due to lack of use and there was a bit of the view that people won't want it too.
    Lack of use made thing unviable so not capable of paying fot themselves. Public transport has commonly been an expense not profit making so to expect the government to fund a loss making industry that was not being used was perfectly sensible.
    The Harcourt Tram line , I thought, went a different way to the new line.

Anyway forcing people out of cars is the only way to make transport get more money. I want a congestion charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dublin's tram system (the most extensive in the world at the turn of the last century) was not removed because the car was king-it was removed because CIE believed that buses were the wave of the future. How wrong they were. They weren't the only transport body to do that however, most of the UK's larger towns and cities had a tram network (including Belfast and Cork) and most today, do not, being displaced by buses.

Nowadays, trams are far superior in terms of passneger comfort than buses, even buses on QBCs which deliver predictable journey times. Trams attract people who otherwise wouldn't use public transport to it, that's the crucial point. Post 10 year plan, I hope to see further significant investment in Dublin's trams. The QBC network needs to be properly looked at-there are really only one or two true QBCs, the rest are bits of bus lane here and there. This is not good enough for a city with such a high dependency on the bus.

I have to say though, I'm more optimistic today about the future of Dublin's transport network than I was this day last year. If we can just get T21 implemented in full there will be no stopping further expansion as it will be a major political issue in every constituency and no sitting government will be able to get away with it because people will have come to expect it!

At some point congestion charging has to be introduced. Currently we don't even have enough P&R to cater for a major modal switch, so it's impractical right no IMO. The car however cannot be pandered to in the central area-bus lanes and bus only streets have to be given 100% priority over making way for the private car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭PandaMania

Dublin's tram system (the most extensive in the world at the turn of the last century) was not removed because the car was king-it was removed because CIE believed that buses were the wave of the future.

That and intensive lobbying by city centre commerical interests at the time to create more car parking spaces in the city centre. Mainly around Dame Street were the bankers wanted to park their cars and the cluster of tram lines in the centre prevented this. Now move forward 55 years and look at the IFSC views on Luas. Not much has changed with these people.

There was even an order for new trams being placed a few years before closure but that was killed stone dead by CIE top brass. They looked just like European single deck trams. One of the more bizzare parts of Dublin's tram history is that the last passengers on the trams destroyed them like they were viking longboats being set on fire. Really weird.

There is a superb history of Dublin trams called Through Streets Broad and Narrow written by a guy called Corchrane who claims that a significant element of this anti-tram mindset was rooted in the then Dev Holy Catholic Ireland ideal of real Irish people live in the coutryside and dance at the crossroads and people in Irish cities were looked upon as less Irish and therefore their needs were secondary, if even catered to at all.
    But transport ministers in the 50s and 60s dismantled a lot of public transport systems including the trams and the old Harcourt Line (that had to be rebuilt for the Luas), along with a lot of the western rail lines.

Not true regarding the Western Rail Lines. They survived long after the Harcourt Street, Dublin and Blessington and Dublin tram network were ripped up. The Western Rail Corridor was still operational in 1975, the year the Dublin Rail Plan was first mooted. It'll be 2015 before the Dublin Rail Plan is completed and irnoically the Western Rail Corridor will be reopened before then.

There is a really disturbing document on public transport planning in Ireland from the late 1940's which lays out the future for public transport in Ireland. It suggests closing down all the railways in Dublin as they are not only old fashioned, but having to climb stairs to get to them is a major problem as well. The document finished with Dublin's public transport being car based and the only public transport which to serve Dublin in future will be wind powered canal barges and airports in the city centre which will be served by buses, verticle landing and takeoff aircraft. Natually the Intercity Rail Network was to be retained, only Dublin commuter rail and tram lines were to be closed.

I am not kidding. I wish I had a link for this report, it is only halarious but sickening at the same time. You can see from reading it were it all went wrong for Ireland and public transport. From the Oxford City Guide citing Dublin's Tram network as the best run and more comprehensive on earth" in 1900 to were we are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

There seems to be a general feeling on these forums that people prefer to drive and spend hours in traffic than use public transport...

I drive because there is no viable, reliable and financial alternative at present to driving to work. If there was I would use it.. and im sure others people would get out of their cars and use it too...

A congestion charges will not solve anything if there is little or no public transport for the people who would have been driving to use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

I am not kidding. I wish I had a link for this report, it is only halarious but sickening at the same time.

Ask and you shall receive

http://web.archive.org/web/20041010084542/http://indigo.ie/~kfinlay/New+Dublin/section1.htm

It's a total gem for all the wrong reasons.

There seems to be a general feeling on these forums that people prefer to drive and spend hours in traffic than use public transport...

I drive because there is no viable, reliable and financial alternative at present to driving to work. If there was I would use it.. and im sure others people would get out of their cars and use it too...

A congestion charges will not solve anything if there is little or no public transport for the people who would have been driving to use...

The point is there is transport that some people don't use and can. People who need a car to get to work does not mean they need to bring it all the way to the city. They can just drive to the transport. They could even just car pool.
    THey aren't doing these things because there is no real incentive. THe best way to to do this is make a car more expensive to bring to certain areas and also just make it plain expensive.
    I cycle and practicly ever car only has one person. THere is guy on my road who drives to the Dart and goes from there. It would be quicker and better if he used a bike for the 5 minute cycle but he will only do this if it is so expensive that it is cheaper.
    There are very very few people around dublin that have to use their cars for the full journey. The over use of cars for all journeys such as driving kids to school and quick shopping visits. It is actually more dangerous to drive a child than have them walk. People don't drive based on logic but desire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

THere is guy on my road who drives to the Dart and goes from there. It would be quicker and better if he used a bike for the 5 minute cycle but he will only do this if it is so expensive that it is cheaper.

Isn't cycling already cheaper than driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

The point is there is transport that some people don't use and can.
    Sure, if you don't mind spending 20 minutes waiting for a bus, 40 minutes on the bus, 10 minutes walking to the bus stop for the next bus, another 20 minutes waiting for it and 40 minutes on it, rather than an hour's drive, covering 6 miles.

Even an rush hour, you'll get there faster in the car.

In every other city in europe, a fully occupied car can use bus lanes.
    In Dublin, those wonderful quality bus corridors:rolleyes: are empty because they don't co-incide with any actual bus routes and nobody else is allowed use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

and people dont drive to the dart station/bus stops etc because there is nowhere to park.. so they drive all the way...

Gurgle wrote:
    Sure, if you don't mind spending 20 minutes waiting for a bus, 40 minutes on the bus, 10 minutes walking to the bus stop for the next bus, another 20 minutes waiting for it and 40 minutes on it, rather than an hour's drive, covering 6 miles.

In every other city in europe, a fully occupied car can use bus lanes.
    In Dublin, those wonderful quality bus corridors:rolleyes: are empty because they don't co-incide with any actual bus routes and nobody else is allowed use them.

Nobody ever siad there were no benifits to driving.

For me to use a car to get to work will take longer and the most congestion is casued by people not obey rules of the road when I drive in my area.

Cars aren't fully accupied here which is the problem. Name the countires that allow full cars in bus lanes becasue we aren't the only ones who don't allow cars in.
    and people dont drive to the dart station/bus stops etc because there is nowhere to park.. so they drive all the way...

The 2 DART stations near me have car parks. I already stated that my neighbour drives to the DART station too. OPertation freeflow includes parking for this behaviour too. Being ill informed doesn't make for good points of argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭dam099

PandaMania wrote:
    I am not kidding. I wish I had a link for this report, it is only halarious but sickening at the same time. You can see from reading it were it all went wrong for Ireland and public transport. From the Oxford City Guide citing Dublin's Tram network as the best run and more comprehensive on earth" in 1900 to were we are today.

Anyone have any links to maps of the old network before it was all torn up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gurgle wrote:

Sounds like my drive to work, except that it's a 15 minute walk to the first bus stop. Also when the schools (hint: school buses !) are off I can do an alternative 10 mile route in 35 minutes.

Almost all of the shortest route from home to work is on the R113 most of it with 24 hour bus lanes. The nearest thing to a direct route is the 76 Still have to get too buses - but you don't have to change in the city centre. It would litterly be quicker to walk, I reckon if the bus lanes were used the R113 trip could be done in about 25 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

dam099 wrote:

This is possibly the best one

http://www.ucd.ie/library/services_&_facilities/library_collections/archpdf/civicsurvey.pdf

Its 4.2mb but its worth it

dam099 wrote:

They are very rare (amazingly the IRRS have the most detailed maps, drawings and other artifacts from the most obscure rural Irish railway branch lines, but almost nothing of the world class tram systems of Dublin.

If you want to see the last Dublin tram system map, there is one framed in O'Neills pub on Pearse Street in Dublin. At the end of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭gjim

It's a total gem for all the wrong reasons.
    I disagree completely. I've read a couple of sections of it and the vast majority of what I've read was not only completely sensible but weirdly prescient. This was drawn 50 years before they started the M50 - principalroads.gif

They spend quite a bit of time on roads and cars but they also discuss the railways in a completely rational way although they were a bit overly optimistic about the advantages offered by the newfangled (at the time) buses.

If you think that Dublin's unsustainable pattern of sprawling development is something that happened by accident during the economic boom of the last 15 years, then you should read this section. Their notions of urban planning and development are entirely modern. The sad thing is that they observed that Dublin was in the fortunate position to avoid the undesirable fate of the sprawling cities of Britain. Well we've blown that one despite a warning 65 years ago.

They recognise the need for Busaras. They predict that the Harcourt line might be replaced by an electrified light-rail line. They correctly diagnose the problem with the main city rail lines (that they don't come "in" far enough) - effectively stating the problem that the interconnector solves.

They get some things wrong but I don't see anything to scoff at in the report.

Garibaldi wrote:
    Isn't cycling already cheaper than driving?
    A lot of people take the view that if they are spening all this money on their cars they will use it as much as possible. A general view change is best but increasing costs is considered the best as it also has a financial reward for the government too. People aren't wrong saying they get screwed over with car costs. The point is the governments position is very defendable due to the very nature of cars. It is very similar to the tax on fags except popular view is now firmly against them it just took a little while. All the kids being raised in cars may really dislike spending time in them as a result. THere will also be higher density so I see the next generation moving back closer to the cities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of people take the view that if they are spening all this money on their cars they will use it as much as possible.
    we live on an Island. A little negotiation with the lads up north and we could have an increased tax on fuel to replace road tax/basic insurance so people pay per usage and get real saving by leaving the car at home.

congestion charging is not yet an option as there are no free flowing circular bus routes. the few non-radial ones are rare, slow and unpredictable.

Looking at the map posted inspired me to get out my copy on the history of Dublin trams by M Cochrane. It is a facinating insight into were it all went wrong when it came to public transport in Dev's Holy Catholic Gaelic Ireland.

In its final year of operation the Dublin trams were carrying 50 million passengers a year - let me repeat that again FIFTY MILLION PASSENGERS A YEAR. (the "vital" Western Rail Corridor which lasted 25 more years than the Dublin trams carried less than 50 passengers a week.)

People at the time who protested against the tram closings on the grounds that the system was busy and not dependent on imported oil were potrayed as luddites and "scared of progess".

The Dublin Trams electricial system was consider a marvel of engineering and their generating stations became international meccas for engineers from around the world who were in awe of the genius and brilliance.

The Dublin Trams despite drivers being killed, continue to run under fire during the 1916 Easter Rising and while German bombs fell on the city in 1940. (compare that to the pussy boy DART drivers and their stress payments for hauling two extra carraiges!)

When CIE was formed it was hoped that well run Dublin United Tramways would help educate the directors of the Great Southern Railway (who were mostly Fianna Fail political appointees from rural Ireland along with landed gentry types who knew more about fox hunting than urban living) in the hope that CIE would operate a well run public transport system. What happened was that the DUTC managers were isolated from decision making and the trams were instead subjected to the GSR incompetence rather than the railways being subjected to DUTC professionalism.

One of the first acts of CIE was to levy a huge fare increase on the Dublin and Cork trams and Limerick city bus services in order to subsidies rural rail services (social justice eh?). Upgrade and maintainance on the Dublin Trams was slowly stopped to the point were a fully integrated tramway system which was the envy of the world, had no more importance within CIE as the rural branch lines west of the Shannon.

I suggest that people who are interested in public transport in Ireland and have wondered why we have a third world system read Through Streets Broad and Narrow, you'll be amazed at a history most Irish people do not know about (yes but we all know about Peig Sayers don't we...).

Although CIE did get better in time, the early years can be viewed as little more than settling scores on former rival rail companies of the GSR. It was not only Dublin commuters who were screwed. The Waterford and Tramore was a decent little (non GSR) commuter railway which CIE closed even though it made a profit from the day it opened to the day it closed. The West Cork lines (non GRS) although they were poorly used (still carried way more passengers than the WRC) for the most part, they also contained decent commuter traffic on some sections, CIE binned the whole lot).

One of the more amusing parts of the book is that CIE always placed high value on PR and spin and used this tool to cover their ineptitude and poor customer service. Howya Barry!

we live on an Island. A little negotiation with the lads up north and we could have an increased tax on fuel to replace road tax/basic insurance so people pay per usage and get real saving by leaving the car at home.

congestion charging is not yet an option as there are no free flowing circular bus routes. the few non-radial ones are rare, slow and unpredictable.

The problem there is congestion is only a problem in some places so that would not really solve the problem. You don't need a circular bus route just routes for cars. TH ecanals are the natural limits of the city which is effectively an Island.

Road tax will eventually be paid by use of roads. THe technolgy exists now just not great for people's civil rights.

It's all very depressing really isn't it. Imagine if we hadn't fcuked the whole thing up by lettin the gombeens in to run the show (fcukin deValera the c*nt didn't even want the ESB to be set up, he loved the whole rural thing, dancin at the crossroads and all that b0ll0x, hated the cities). Dublin and Cork might still have world class tram networks, recently upgraded with cash from the tiger to include longer trams and more grade separation.

Thomas that 50 million pax/annum is a staggering figure for the time. There's no doubt in mind that if the trams had been upgraded to single-deck european style articulated ones and so on that the city would have naturally densified around them. The population of the city of Dublin has hardly moved in a hundred years-all the population growth has been on the periphary on the greenfield sites. Ah it's more depressing the more I think of it-could have had nice 6/7 storey apartment lined streets instead of the cottages with massive back gardens in Dumcondra. :(

You think that is depressing Phillip, just been reading more of the book and get this. Dev forced the Dublin Trams to have their tickets and all printed materials in Irish and English and the cost of all the machines and bi-lingual printing nearly bankrupt the company. It's just unreal really.

Another thing, you know all them CargoTrams which they are using in cities such as Dresden and Zurich for carrying freight on tramlines. Well the DUTC were doing this starting in 1909 and it became a very profitable business for them. Dublin was light years ahead of the rest of Europe. They carried huge volumes of freight on the tram network at night, much to the annoyance of the rail compaines. Their advertising department was one of the best ad agencies in Ireland. They made as much from tram advertising as many of the national newspapers from print ads.

The Dublin Tram system was simply amazing, something all Irish people should be proud of and yet we know almost nothing about it.

I can't help but wonder if it was still around when Todd Andrews was the gaffer would it have survived. He almost brought CIE into profit when he made the rail network useful and would he have seen the logic of keeping the trams running as he was the man at the EBS who understood the potential of electric power and even offered CIE's predecessor, the GSR spare capacity to electrify the rail network for free and they said no (of course).

Yeah I remember reading that the Lucan tram carried oodles of freight. It doesn't surprise me at al to hear deV fcuked the DUTC et al over by making them bi-lingual (a legacy still plaguing Dublin Bus' timetables!).

We can but hope that as Luas expands it becomes something that people expect and no government will be able to ruin it like deV and Co.

That map was vey telling-the 1p flat fare boundary is a simple zonal fare structure that should be reintroduced immediately on Dublin Bus within a certain radius of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Charles Darwin

murphaph wrote:
    That map was vey telling-the 1p flat fare boundary is a simple zonal fare structure that should be reintroduced immediately on Dublin Bus within a certain radius of the city.
    Reintroduction of the 1p flat fare would be a great idea!:D

The old trams used to go over Ringsend bridge. I don't know if our modern trams would be able to make it.

murphaph wrote:
    It doesn't surprise me at al to hear deV fcuked the DUTC

You have to wonder if this was a vendetta. The DUTC continued to operate during the Easter Rising and was praised for doing so and having their system repaired and up and running while a lot of the city centre lay in ruins. The DUTC also had more medals for bravery awarded to it's employees than any other company in Ireland for their service in the First World War.

Is there any group or society devoted to the trams of Ireland? I would like to join if there is. This is a part of our industrial, economic and social heritage which has been buried for far too long.

Again, wouldn't surprise me, he was a small minded git and if he hadn't been such a weasel in avoiding the bullet we might have prospered as a nation a lot sooner. Anyways, here's a few sad links to think what might have been....

Cork Tram
    Dublin & Blessington Steam Tram
    Lucan Tram

....and that's only a fraction of what existed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

murphaph wrote:
    Again, wouldn't surprise me, he was a small minded git and if he hadn't been such a weasel in avoiding the bullet we might have prospered as a nation a lot sooner. Anyways, here's a few sad links to think what might have been....

Cork Tram
    Dublin & Blessington Steam Tram
    Lucan Tram

....and that's only a fraction of what existed. :(

I have rarely read such unadulterated ****e in my life the 3 tram lines that you link to were closed or closing before dev first came to power in 1932

the DUTC did not keep running during the rising one line did the lucan line which closed in 1925 (it reopened in 1928 and finally closed in 1940 when they were replaced with double decker buses)

The DUTC which was still a privately owned company started to transfer over to Bus operation and close its tram lines during the 1920s this trend continued into the 30s and the final lines closed in 1949.
    Buses were seen as the future as they were cheaper to run and more flexible cities all over the world ripped up their tram lines during that period.

And if CIE managed to increase fares on the Cork trams they did an excellent job especially when you consider that the trams had stopped running in Cork 14 years before CIE came into existence

Advertisement