Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Let me the first to put this out there..

C'Mon Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

Great to have two big competitive matches at HQ in preparation for championship. Good luck Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

patrickn wrote: »
    Looking through the subs list what position does Michael Walsh play in.

Was corner back on under 21 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

A long while since an Ardnaree man appeared on a Mayo Senior Panel. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Have to get a bus back to Dublin today at 4 with no radio whatsoever and unless there's wi-fi on the bus I'll miss the whole game, devastated! :(

I'd hate to just hear the result if they do manage to beat cork.
    really hope they win it today, myself and my dad have been through enough heartache when it comes to mayo and finals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Have to get a bus back to Dublin today at 4 with no radio whatsoever and unless there's wi-fi on the bus I'll miss the whole game, devastated! :(

I'd hate to just hear the result if they do manage to beat cork.
    really hope they win it today, myself and my dad have been through enough heartache when it comes to mayo and finals!

Why didn't you just go back a few hours earlier and go to the game itself, then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Syferus wrote: »
    Why didn't you just go back a few hours earlier and go to the game itself, then? :confused:

I've an exam tomorrow morning, also the bus times are ****e so there's no chance of me going to the game... there's lots of other reasons that are irrelevant to this thread and i dont want to go off topic so let's just leave it at that... :o
    so yeah i'm fairly sickened i cant see the game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

damn foreign commentary , tv muted radio on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

damn foreign commentary , tv muted radio on

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I posted this in the other thread but if people dont see it I thought Id put it here. Mayo v Cork being streamed here: http://tykestv.eu/channel1.php#schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

mayo playing decent stuff so far ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

mayo playing decent stuff so far ,

The keeper is well dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Att. 22,827.
    Poor enough, very poor Cork turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'd hope Horan knows what he is doing.

Barry Moran has offered very little over the last 2 games, and Gibbons has been brilliant.

To take Gibbons off seems a bit odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Att. 22,827.
    Poor enough, very poor Cork turnout.

There was never going to be a big Cork crowd travel for this match.

I reckon there will be a far larger crowd travel for the hurling final next week.
    Mayo fans can have a week off for that;)

Having won 4 league titles in a row ( 1 div 2 then 3 div 1) that Cork team have an abundance of experience and I think they used it well today, particularly in the second half and that was the difference.
    Mayo needed to be more than 4 up at ht. The conditions didn't really help either team I think. I fully expect to see Mayo back in Croker though and be very competitve aswell.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Having won 4 league titles in a row ( 1 div 2 then 3 div 1) that Cork team have an abundance of experience and I think they used it well today, particularly in the second half and that was the difference.
    Mayo needed to be more than 4 up at ht. The conditions didn't really help either team I think. I fully expect to see Mayo back in Croker though and be very competitve aswell.
    No real complaints from Mayo, Cork serious contenders this year.
    Would their at times poor kicking be a concern down there?

No real complaints from Mayo, Cork serious contenders this year.
    Would their at times poor kicking be a concern down there?

Contenders yes, but still far off the mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

The Mayo fans were brilliant today. Cork had no one. Tyrone had a few down too and of course the other crowd out the road were well represented!

Feel sorry for those who have travelled up so many times over the years returning with very little, takes a lot coming from a Tribesman! Surely a lot of it has to be mental. They played well first half then capitulated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

TomKat wrote: »
    The Mayo fans were brilliant today. Cork had no one. Tyrone had a few down too and of course the other crowd out the road were well represented!

Feel sorry for those who have travelled up so many times over the years returning with very little, takes a lot coming from a Tribesman! Surely a lot of it has to be mental. They played well first half then capitulated...

In fairness they were playing one of the best teams in the country. It's debatable too saying that Kerry are the team to beat. Since 2010, Kerry have no major silverware bar munster medals. Cork have 3 leagues won and an all Ireland in 2010 so for now Cork are the team to beat but saying that Kerry would beat Cork if we met in the championship for sure, must be a physiological thing or something.

• Advertisement

teednab-el wrote: »
    In fairness they were playing one of the best teams in the country. It's debatable too saying that Kerry are the team to beat. Since 2010, Kerry have no major silverware bar munster medals. Cork have 3 leagues won and an all Ireland in 2010 so for now Cork are the team to beat but saying that Kerry would beat Cork if we met in the championship for sure, must be a physiological thing or something.
    I would not be so sure.
    Having played Cork and Kerry twice recently, I would have to say Cork are in much better shape right now.

Never mentioned Kerry... I mean a mental thing for Mayo...

I would not be so sure.
    Having played Cork and Kerry twice recently, I would have to say Cork are in much better shape right now.

I agree 100% but Kerry won't be far off come Championship time. Feel its certainly between the two of them. Still can't get over Dublin and the ref winning last year...

TomKat wrote: »
    I agree 100% but Kerry won't be far off come Championship time. Feel its certainly between the two of them. Still can't get over Dublin and the ref winning last year...
    Munster Championship match is going to be huge for Kerry, would they have the hunger for the "chicken and chips" circuit?

Cork haven't beaten Kerry in 3 years in Championship football and have not knocked Kerry out of the Championship in 13 years. Kerry are the team to beat with 7 All-Ireland final appearances in 8 years and 4 AI titles in the same time. Kerry lost last years All-Ireland by one point thanks to some hard luck. I will however give Cork this they are a far superior team to Dublin and will beat anything put in front of them with the exception of Kerry.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Cork haven't beaten Kerry in 3 years in Championship football and have not knocked Kerry out of the Championship in 13 years. Kerry are the team to beat with 7 All-Ireland final appearances in 8 years and 4 AI titles in the same time. Kerry lost last years All-Ireland by one point thanks to some hard luck. I will however give Cork this they are a far superior team to Dublin and will beat anything put in front of them with the exception of Kerry.

Marry me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Stinicker wrote: »

Every team has a bogey team. For Cork its Kerry. For Kerry its Tyrone or Down. That doesn't hide the fact that Cork have more won this decade than Kerry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good effort yet lacklustre at times by Mayo today against a very good Cork team. Alot of improvements especially in midfield and attack to be made but its better to realise that now..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Mayo were nearly there.
    Im afraid Horan made a mistake in taking Gibbons off instead of Moran.
    Don't think it lost the game for them, but it certainly didn't help.
    Cork's experience over the last 4 years certainly stood to them, as well as a superior Subs bench.

Mayo were unlucky in not getting a free when Keegan burst through and was fouled by Pierce O'Neill (who was also on a yellow card). Cork wen't straight down and put the ball in the net, which effectivly ended the game.

Cork were the better team and deserved it, but Mayo certainly didn't lose any respect out there. They are still a little short in all areas of the field, and need to figure out their best Full Forward line. They need to get Cillian O'Connor into the game, as he is one of the most talented young footballers in the game. Michael Shields shut him down today in the second half, after he was productive in the first.

A Semi Final spot is a strong possiblility again for this Mayo team, maybe more. Horan is a very good manager, and has some great players to work with.
    O'Connor, McLoughlin, Boyle, Cafferkey, Vaughan, Moran, Dillon, Keegan.
    Lovely footballers. Fit, Pacey, Strong and hungry.

My advice is to cancel any holidays for August. A couple of big days in Croker beckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Blackjack

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Mayo were nearly there.
    Im afraid Horan made a mistake in taking Gibbons off instead of Moran.
    Don't think it lost the game for them, but it certainly didn't help.
    Cork's experience over the last 4 years certainly stood to them, as well as a superior Subs bench.

Mayo were unlucky in not getting a free when Keegan burst through and was fouled by Pierce O'Neill (who was also on a yellow card). Cork wen't straight down and put the ball in the net, which effectivly ended the game.

Cork were the better team and deserved it, but Mayo certainly didn't lose any respect out there. They are still a little short in all areas of the field, and need to figure out their best Full Forward line. They need to get Cillian O'Connor into the game, as he is one of the most talented young footballers in the game. Michael Shields shut him down today in the second half, after he was productive in the first.

A Semi Final spot is a strong possiblility again for this Mayo team, maybe more. Horan is a very good manager, and has some great players to work with.
    O'Connor, McLoughlin, Boyle, Cafferkey, Vaughan, Moran, Dillon, Keegan.
    Lovely footballers. Fit, Pacey, Strong and hungry.

My advice is to cancel any holidays for August. A couple of big days in Croker beckon.
    Agree with the above. Cork deserved the win, were the better team overall, but lots for Mayo to draw from and learn from today. Conditions for both teams atrocious so that did have an impact and probably took a lot away from what could have been a more entertaining game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement