Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Here's my two cents worth, sorry if it rambles. I seem incapable of writing a short report.

What a scorcher!

After running the Craughwell 10 comfortably in 82mins recently I decided to set a target of 1.50 for the half in Connemara. I spent days looking at the course elevation on MapMyRun & plotting out my pace band, allowing myself some extra time for the hill at Leenane & the HOTW. I finally settled on my fourth incarnation after many deliberations..

I’d been watching the forecast all week & was expecting a mild but clear day. By arrival at 10am in Leenane I knew we were in for a hot one, and of course had not brought the sun cream. Myself & a mate had decided to go off together & aim for the 1.50. We also had my mates neighbour who said he was aiming for 2.00 (he’d been sick & injured lately). Midday and we’re off and within half a mile the neighbour is out ahead and soon out of sight (him being a first time Conn I was sure I’d see him later).

I’d given myself slow splits (10.00 & 9.20) for the first two miles coming up the hill from Leenane but the starting adrenaline had me well ahead (8.30 & 8.23) so I had time in the bank straight away & felt comfortable. Myself & Keith stayed together until about mile 4 (7.34 & 7.54 splits) & I think we both started to feel the pace a bit. We both slowed & at some stage here I lost Keith & ran the rest on my own. I put the head down & kept at it. I’d forgotten how undulating the middle of this course is. It became a story of ‘get to the top of the next rise and you can rest then’. I was hurting & it was still fairly early. It wasn’t a good sign.

I managed to keep plodding away with miles 5 – 9 averaging at 8.20’s - below my predicted splits but not by much. I had taken a gel pre-race & one at miles 3 & 6. I couldn’t get my usual Powerbar gels & instead went for Kinetica. They taste nice but there is a lot in them. By mile 8 my tummy was cramping a bit & I was unsure if I’d be able to take my next scheduled gel at mile 9 in time for the HOTW.

By the time I hit the Hell I was feeling relatively comfortable again bar the tummy. I got stuck in and was able to keep a steady pace going although I did feel I was weakening. I took the gel with plenty of water about quarter way up & was willing to deal with the consequences:o. I was passing plenty of people & after every bend I thought ‘nearly there, nearly there’. How wrong was I. Even though I’m very familiar with this area the road seemed to be playing tricks on me, it was never ending. Along the top half of the hill the spectators were in full flow & there were plenty of shouts for ‘C’mon Athenry’ – if I didn’t acknowledge you I apologise but I needed everything at this stage, I was telling myself ‘just one more step, one more step’. I managed to get up the hill in splits of 9.09 & 9.53, again ahead of my predicted splits for the hills.

After losing time in the middle of the course, at mile 11 (the top of the hill) I was about 30 seconds off my time. This wasn’t exactly a good thing as I soon realised that I was a bit over exuberant with my predicted final two mile splits. I really had to go for it. So I did. Mile 12 down the hill was 7.33 & I was hurting. 1 mile to go & I was feeling it. I could feel myself slowing but kept at it. I was passing plenty with few passing me so I knew I was doing something right. With about a half mile to go three ultra-lads passed me, one of them was wearing a t-shirt that said ‘Never Give Up’ on the back. It was all I needed to put the boot down again. A quick wave to Pam & my little Rachel on the side-lines & I was off for a 7.43 13 mile split & 6.51 (pace) split for the last .21 on the garmin.

Crossed the line in 1.50.54 chip time. Missed the target by 54 seconds but delighted all the same. I honestly couldn’t have given it another second. 34mins off my time from last year & a PB for the half by 9mins.

Learned a lot about myself too. I now realise how big a part mental attitude plays in a race. A lot of times I wanted to stop to walk but wouldn’t allow myself. Whereas before, especially if I was running on my own, I would have stopped too easily. I kept telling myself the pain would pass, and most times it did. I can only remember talking to 3 people on the whole course, I was just in my own little world talking myself through the race. Usually I’m chatty & enjoying the banter.

Secondly I now realise how important a target is. It’s the first time I’ve targeted a specific time. Previously I would say ‘Ah, I’d be happy getting under 2hrs’ & anything under that would be a bonus. But with the 1.50 target I kept pushing myself, especially on the last two miles. Without that target I probably would have took it easy on the last two, safe in the knowledge I’d get under the 2hr mark.

It was easily my best ran race to date, if for no other reason than my dogged determination out there, so happy out:)………..oh yeah, my mates neighbour who was training for a 2hr (after being sick & injured)………..1.47. Sickener isn’t it.

Congrats to all who took part. See ye all next year for the ultra:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks Patrick. I managed to find one of myself there that's actually presentable (unlike the offical photos). I'm guessing that was near the finish line? If so i am really surprised I was still able to bend my left knee :pac:

I thought that was yourself alright. Yeah that was at about 38.5 miles for you :-) To be fair you didn't look too bad passing us, I wouldn't have guessed the pain you'd gone through. Well done.

Excerpt from Diary of a Rubbish Runner - TFB's Connemarathon Ultra report.

'I had by now passed the majority of the half marathon field (as well as 90% of the marathon field) and the runners around me were of reasonable standard, roughly 2-hour half-marathon runners and sub-3:30 marathon runners, but the Hell is a challenging climb for everyone.'

Woo-hoo, the legend that is TFB thinks I'm a runner of reasonable standard. It's the little things in life that make it all worth while.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

i presume the "noise" in question is the same as in BC!!!!

I presume so, too :rolleyes:

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Excerpt from Diary of a Rubbish Runner - TFB's Connemarathon Ultra report.

'I had by now passed the majority of the half marathon field (as well as 90% of the marathon field) and the runners around me were of reasonable standard, roughly 2-hour half-marathon runners and sub-3:30 marathon runners, but the Hell is a challenging climb for everyone.'

Woo-hoo, the legend that is TFB thinks I'm a runner of reasonable standard. It's the little things in life that make it all worth while.:D

When I wrote that I was worried someone would accuse me of being elitist. Glad you're happy. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Thoroughly enjoyed my first Connemarathon weekend. Race was very tough but a beautiful course. Well organised especially with all the busing people about. Only complaint is that I was given an x-large t-shirt when I asked for small and only noticed it when I got home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm still on ahigh after Sunday and my first Connemara Ultra.
    Connemara is a race I would recommend to anyone whatever the distance, the fact that it sells out so fast every year speaks for itself. The wonderful volunteers along the course ranged in age from approx. 4 years old to over 80 and every one of them had a smile for us all. I know we were blessed with perfect conditions but the scenery is out of this world, this is a race I would do again and again although I suspect the HOTW will always be a tough goingwink.gif
    VERY long emotional report of my race can be found here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77934269#post77934269

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

or even the Italian tv crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Great reports & even better running by everyone here, it was enough to push me into registering for the ultra myself this evening for next year, think I have to get a piece of this action next April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

there was a stand at the number collection expo handing out leaflets for a half in clontarf.. main selling point was "irelands flattest half marathon"............ just wondering was he at the finish line?????...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

opus wrote: »
    Great reports & even better running by everyone here, it was enough to push me into registering for the ultra myself this evening for next year, think I have to get a piece of this action next April :)

See you there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

opus wrote: »

Same here:D

seanin4711 wrote: »
    or even the Italian tv crew?

RTE Plyer has the Six One news from Sunday. It had a couple of minutes coverage on it. Not sure about the 9 o' clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Anyone else loving the fact that the first bit of bad weather this year coincides with recovery from Connemara and guilt-free staying indoors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    Anyone else loving the fact that the first bit of bad weather this year coincides with recovery from Connemara and guilt-free staying indoors!

+1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    RTE Plyer has the Six One news from Sunday. It had a couple of minutes coverage on it. Not sure about the 9 o' clock news.

9 O'Clock news showed the exact same report as the six one, I even got a cameo roll as I was taking the pics on the finish line.

Have separated all the ultra photos out from the weekend and there are currently 1100 of them so planning on getting them down to a sensible number and will have them up on Flickr sometime tonight.

Was a great weekend to be out there, and fantastic performances all round. Was great to see people run the invitational and then do the full/ultra the next day AND put in some good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

9 O'Clock news showed the exact same report as the six one, I even got a cameo roll as I was taking the pics on the finish line.

And thats me being interviewed in the red t-shirt holding my daughter. Never thought I would make the RTE sports news!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Official splits are now up on the Conn website..

My Conn Ultra thoughts are here for anyone whose interested. Ye might want to crack open a can of Dutch Gold :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77946868#post77946868

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again to everyone who took part in this fantastic event!! I have nothing bad to say about it so take my silence as nothing but positive feedback! (I did write a 10,000 word love letter/essay in the feedback book that was handed to me in the pub on Sunday night so I apologise to whomever has to read that.

My race report can be found at the link below, but be warned – it is for insomniacs alone! ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77930657&postcount=1941

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There are loads of photos on the Connemarathon facebook page Thankfully I don't feature in any of them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really tough day at the office for me. Got through the full in 3:29 bang on target but felt cramp in the left hamstring coming up the hill after lenaune and it stuck for the first time at about mile 29 (a full 4 miles sooner than last year). From there on it was a matter of run/shuffle quarter a mile, stop stretch walk a few minutes repeat.
    Managed to jog the last 2 miles just under 10 min/mile to come in just under 5:40 (2:10 for the last 13.1 after two halfs of 1:44:xx :o)

Stil a PB on last year by 11 minutes so not all doom and gloom.

Here's my full race report for anyone who is bored interested enough to read it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77910169&postcount=2575

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Here's my full race report for anyone who is bored interested enough to read it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77910169&postcount=2575

Well done again on the PB. It was great running so many miles on Sunday with you. I know it became hard work out there but remember you managed a PB by 11 mins. Best of luck with the training for Berlin.

OK, so alcohol got in the way yesterday and so didn't get the pics up.

First gallery is now up which includes the Ultra briefing and the start of the Ultra race:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51512923@N07/sets/72157629380405062/

Ultra finishers will be going up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Just a quick update but my first ultra and was amazing.....even if the wheels came off a bit between miles 27 and 32 but finished in 6.59, pretty happy but sore and sunburnt. Will def be back next year, a lot wiser and fitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

A huge congratulations to eveyone who ran in Conn on Sunday...it sounds like one hell of an ordeal a day. :D

I'm so inspired that I will be signing up next year for the full. Congrats to anyone who got a PB as that's some course to do it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just a quick update but my first ultra and was amazing.....even if the wheels came off a bit between miles 27 and 32 but finished in 6.59, pretty happy but sore and sunburnt. Will def be back next year, a lot wiser and fitter!

Very similar experience to me Running Fool...My race died around those miles as well before spluttering back into life later on!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

yeah, even splits for me for the first two thirds, then lost seven or so minutes on HOTW which surprised me as I'd done a lot of hill running to try & prevent this, but as we all know it's where it comes in the ultra: 1:52:19 1:51:54 2:00:03
    going to avenge the HOTW next year! had a dream about it last night!!!

OK, after wading through 1100 Ultra photos I have a gallery of 177 pictures of ultra finishers. Apologies to those I missed, it got busy at some points and a lot of people came across together, also I ran out of memory cards (rookie mistake I know - but I had shot 17Gb of pictures) after about 7h30m.

Enjoy

Iain

P.S. Pleae feel free to post them to facebook profiles/blogs etc but please let me know if you plan to sell them :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51512923@N07/sets/72157629745912301/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wonderful photos, doctorchick. Almost makes me regret not doing the ultra, so I could have a nice finish line photo. :)
    Did you take any photos of the top Half marathon finishers (e.g. between Keith white and Mick Rice)? :)

Wonderful photos, doctorchick. Almost makes me regret not doing the ultra, so I could have a nice finish line photo. :)
    Did you take any photos of the top Half marathon finishers (e.g. between Keith white and Mick Rice)? :)

KC - I have heard that the sole reason for some people doing the ultra is to get a finish line picture - but i do question their sanity sometimes :)

I will have photos of the half and full up next week but there are 3000 of those to go through :(

I think i did get most of the top HM people though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

KC - I have heard that the sole reason for some people doing the ultra is to get a finish line picture - but i do question their sanity sometimes :)

The photo was definitely the reason I signed up for the Ultra and you didn't dissappoint docchick, thanks:)
    I've already uploaded my photo to Bragbook Facebook for some more adulation but I think most of my friends are now unfriending me....

Advertisement