Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football anyone?

• 09-01-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Myself and Klong, were wondering if people on this forum would be interested in arranging football once a week during the semester. On the astro-turf, 5-a-side if possible.
    What do you think? Would you be interested??

As a side note to that, we need a break from the FYP work, and are going to the astro-turf this Sunday [11th] for a kick-about, so if anybody is around, and wants to join in you are more than welcome to join. It could provide the necessary distraction from FYP for some.
    Thats 1pm, Sunday ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kopykat

id love to play a bit of football if your stuck for numbers,i wont be around for that sunday game but i will be around during the semester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Thats cool, I understand that there arent too many people here at the minute, but there are some 4th years, postgrads, and stragglers who might like a game.

Definitely keep you for the semester!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

If I was around I would :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Anyone know of a 5 or 6-a side league we could enter if we get numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kopykat

klong wrote: »
    Anyone know of a 5 or 6-a side league we could enter if we get numbers?
    id play in that if we could get it organised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Absolutely interested in getting a league going and entering a team. Always struck me that there isn't any tag/5-a-side leagues ran through the semesters when there would be so many willing students and the facilities available to do so.

You could look at block-booking one of the indoor courts for the semester, I think they're better for 5 a side than the astroturf. Also, after 6pm the astroturf is pretty much constantly full with various teams training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I'd be up for it and I might even be around Limerick tomorrow at 1pm too, thinking of heading down tomorrow morning to sort a cupla things.

I'd say the best thing to do is to try and get 10 together and play 5 a side in the Arena indoors. I'd prefer to play on the Astro as its a miles better surface but its very touch and go whether you'd get any space there after 6pm as Funkstard said.

Good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 procstar

good idea, would be interested alright, will there be sandwiches provided?

wouldnt mind being a referee either...if only to take down djcr's particulars :D

Cool, its still on for tmrw, 1pm astro for anybody who is around.

We'll try do something for the semester alright, and indoor sounds like a good idea if we can guarantee numbers. AFAIK its expensive though, so we'd need guaranteed numbers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

procstar wrote: »
    good idea, would be interested alright, will there be sandwiches provided?

wouldnt mind being a referee either...if only to take down djcr's particulars :D

I'll be there but there will be no shenanigans - P this is getting really disturbing !!!!

Jesus man - I live with you - do you really find it neccessary to say these things.

Anywho - I see a slight problem with your plans !!!!!

From your reaction tonight when I said "I can't wait for match of the day" I gather your not really a football fan.

However, from seeing you cook I now you've prob forgotten how to make a sandwich (your cooking is pretty savage).

So to solve the problem here's how to make a sandwich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ery8FcQOgLU&feature=related - the video thingy isn't working

Soccer is too hard to explain at 5 in the morning!!:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Well myself, Mossin and B.A.Baracus braved the elements (and the astroturf) this afternoon and managed a four a side with a bunch of guys who turned up. Mossin turned in a classic strikers performance, netting 6 (and having to hop into a stream to get the ball at one stage), I bagged 4 and B.A.Baracus got one. Liam was our goalie; thanks to our tough, hard-working play we only conceeded 3. Score: UL Boards 11 - 3 Random Guys.

klong wrote: »
    Well myself, Mossin and B.A.Baracus braved the elements (and the astroturf) this afternoon and managed a four a side with a bunch of guys who turned up. Mossin turned in a classic strikers performance, netting 6 (and having to hop into a stream to get the ball at one stage), I bagged 4 and B.A.Baracus got one. Liam was our goalie; thanks to our tough, hard-working play we only conceeded 3. Score: UL Boards 11 - 3 Random Guys.

Taking the "swim" was the highlight of my day, and shows that us UL boardsies cater for many sporting events when we go out :p

It was a good laugh, not too serious, only Klong was keeping score.
    Not bad for our first outing.

We are aiming to do the same again next Sunday. Hope fully more people will turn up for that!!

Have discovered that there does be an astro league out in Mungret, matches on Mondays. Trying to find out more. Also, might be an astro league in Castletroy College.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I know there are astros in Castetroy College, didn't know there was a league out there. Would indeed be worth researching, let me know what you find out if you can

So do we have any potential victimsteam members...?

I have a whistle, so I'll take on the bainisteoir role :D

(and Dirk Kuyt role of busy but not very good midfielder!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

This all sounds very lovely. However, taking inspiration from my alias, I may as well not have any feet at all when it comes to athletic participation so, alas, you will have to do without bluedolphin. Maybe I could do match reports.* :pac:

*not a real offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

For fear ye would have thought about doing this when I was in Limerick!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I hereby challenge the UL boards team to a game of soccer. I don't care how many a side or what day. I can get people as needed.

I'm currently on co-op and I'm back on the 25th of january. If people are interested, we could get a mid week game and/or a weekend game going.

As for leagues, there is a Molly's (Nightclub/bar) 6 a side league on, on Fridays around 7-9 in Casteltroy College. And as for the astro turf in CC, it'll be too expenisive to book. I tried before and lets just say astro.ie were anything but pleasant. They might've changed, but somehow I doubt it. Thats all I know on that front.

Anyway, shall we say Monday the 26th of January at 6 on the astro-turf? (Not booking the astro-turf) I'd arrange a different time, but I want to see my timetable for next semester before I suggest a time before 6. And I'm busy almost every weekend in Feb, bar the first weekend back in ul.

Good plan. How do you register for the Mollys league? I'd checked out astro.ie before, no sign of a Limerick league there. Let's see how many people are interested now...

As for the Mollys league they are half way through their current season. So I don't think you can enter this season. Go into Mollys and ask them could you enter a team next season. (Starts around March til May i think)

As for the boards team vs my team. Klong will you be responsible in getting the boards side together? And how many aside are we aiming for? 5? I'd love to make it a weekly kinda thing. Maybe we could even field a team against a boards CIT/DCU/etc team!

• Advertisement

Burial wrote: »
    I hereby challenge the UL boards team to a game of soccer. I don't care how many a side or what day. I can get people as needed.

I'm currently on co-op and I'm back on the 25th of january. If people are interested, we could get a mid week game and/or a weekend game going.

Anyway, shall we say Monday the 26th of January at 6 on the astro-turf? (Not booking the astro-turf) I'd arrange a different time, but I want to see my timetable for next semester before I suggest a time before 6. And I'm busy almost every weekend in Feb, bar the first weekend back in ul.

No chance of a game on Monday the 26th!!
    My FYP is due that day, and I plan on drinking like a trooper!

We are planning on playing on Sundays.
    I know a few people who are back and really interested in playing.

As for a league, hopefully we can get some sort of teams together.

The 26th was just a suggestion...

I can get a game going on the Sunday I'm back, but it mightn't be my strongest side.

As for a league, I can probably get a team to play in it.

Burial wrote: »
    The 26th was just a suggestion...

I can get a game going on the Sunday I'm back, but it mightn't be my strongest side.

As for a league, I can probably get a team to play in it.

Based on Sundays match, we aren't the strongest side in the world. I think the UL boards team would be more of a social team, burial, you seem to be looking for a bit more of a serious challenge.

Ah cool. I just presumed ye'd be somewhere close to the level of the Mollys league. We're below that standard. Really I'm just mad for a game of soccer. Being on co-op has left me miles away from a football. Going back to college will change that! :)

Basically we'd be either. I could get a really strong team or a team for the laugh. Or a mix of both. Anyway, my offer still stands, if you want a game someday.

Just what would be the level of the Mollys league? Seeing as we've only played one match (and 4 v 4 at that!) I think its a bit early to gauge what level we'll be playing at.

But my hope would be for a reasonably competitive team, playing for some craic.

The level would be around Sunday leaguers playing. They wouldn't be subs, but they wouldn't be the star players either. That would be the average Mollys team. They're two teams in it who are there for the laugh and lose every game. As I said, my team are just below the Mollys standard, though we're trying to get to the Mollys standard. When I say my team, I mean I play for them. I don't actually run the team or organise it.

I've played a few games in the Molly's league.
    A team was missing a player last year and asked me to fill in for a few weeks. I ended up a regular, and they got rid of the other player.
    It's fairly competitive and the standard varies drastically from game to game.
    We got hammered 6-2 in one game, and the following week we won 7-1 [me scoring 6 out of the 9 goals we scored]...
    I was raging we never finished the season due to the lads doing FYP's and going out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just a word of warning. The Sports Dept has spent €250k on the astroturf recently, so security will be all over unauthorised use like flies on sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

Hello all i would be up for a game at any stage during the week .. just not weekends ... if any1s short on here to make up a 5/6 a side or just for casual outings give me a pm , cheers:)

• Advertisement

Game proposed again for tomorrow Sunday 17th Jan @ 1pm on the astro.
    This game is weather permitting this week.
    We dont mind a bit of rain, but if these gale force winds dont subside then the game wont be on.

If you are around Limerick tomorrow, then do come along for the laugh.

I'll update tmrw regarding the go ahead

Advertisement