Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting wee out of carpet

• 24-11-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Tegan had a bit of an accident in the living room and I need to get wee out of the carpet. If it were a hard floor I'd use bio washing liquid, but I'm not sure what to do with carpet. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Buy a product called Rug Doctor Urine Eliminator - I got one from Woodies and it works wonders - no smell and leaves no stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We treat pee with one of two things - either an enzyme cleaner from the pet store or bio washing detergent in warm water. I use a "colour" washing detergent so it doesn't fade the carpet but be careful if you are using one with a brightener in it, maybe test it out on a hidden part of the carpet. Scrub the living bejesus out of the carpet, bang with dry towels, rinse and bang again (I tend to put a towel down and jump up and down on it). This may need to be repeated if the smell doesn't come out but it's the only way I have gotten pee out of carpet totally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

The best thing for the smell is Bread Soda. My guy decided that he wanted to pee all around his litter tray, even though we have a piece of lino under it, some got to the carpet. Not pleasant.

I just washed with warm water and used kitchen towel to dry it out and soak up the excess then sprinkle bread soda, leave for a few hours then hoover. It worked wonders, the smell of cat pee is so strong I didn't think it would work but my mammy assured me :p:p And she was right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Would the bread soda get rid of the ammonia though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

kylith wrote: »
    Would the bread soda get rid of the ammonia though?

To be honest I'm not sure how exactly it works. I washed the wee first, a few times to be sure that the water was coming clear and then the bread soda neutralised the smell somehow?

With my guy if I was to try wash that with anything else other than water, he feels obligated to wee in the spot again. (I ended up throwing out a futon before I realised that!!:p) I find water works best, keep it hot enough that it doesn't discolour my cheap carpet and dry out with kitchen towel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

Bread soda is great.
    Then wash with carpet cleaner.
    My pug pi**ed on bedroom carpet (after gf warned me not to let her in to bedroom)
    I managed to get rid of it!!

sambuka41 wrote: »

To be honest I'm not sure how exactly it works. I washed the wee first, a few times to be sure that the water was coming clear and then the bread soda neutralised the smell somehow?

With my guy if I was to try wash that with anything else other than water, he feels obligated to wee in the spot again. (I ended up throwing out a futon before I realised that!!:p) I find water works best, keep it hot enough that it doesn't discolour my cheap carpet and dry out with kitchen towel.

Advertisement