Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

carrying passangers in the back of a van.

• 29-05-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

was just woundering what would the guards do if they seen you had pepole in the back of the van. with no seat belts or seats.

and if they cant see in to the back of the van can they ask to see in the back.

and what peneltys would you get???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

You might get a lot of seriously injured people if you have to suddenly stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What a daft idea. Your insurance would probably be null and void too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

You'd get a vanful of dead and mangled people if you crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭farrellniall

i under stand that. but what would happen with the gaurds if some one was cought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

was just woundering what would the guards do if they seen you had pepole in the back of the van. with no seat belts or seats.

I imagine dangerous driving at the least and if there were minors in the back you could also get charged with carrying unrestrained minors.

Mind you that never stopped me when I was younger hitching a lift in the back of a transit and kipping on a mattress :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A summons at the very least I would imagin for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

bazz26 wrote: »

Probably not. Passengers injuries and third parties would be covered.

Op, you'd probably be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not quite. The third party insurance (including the passengers) would still be paid out by the insurance company BUT they would likely choose to litigate against the insured party to recover some or all of the cost. Even unrestrained passengers in the back of vans have to be covered (there's an ECJ ruling from five years ago about it).
    i under stand that. but what would happen with the gaurds if some one was cought.
    As usual it would depend on the Garda. I be expecting a court summons for careless driving resulting in five points, a large fine of up to €1500. A court could even choose to apply a three month prison sentence but it's quite unlikely in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

As usual it would depend on the Garda. I be expecting a court summons for careless driving resulting in five points, a large fine of up to €1500. A court could even choose to apply a three month prison sentence but it's quite unlikely in this case.

Could they call that careless driving? I would imagine they could do you on some other type of charge for endangering the passengers, maybe not related to driving regulations.

I would expect a guard would just tell the passengers to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sf80 wrote: »

I would expect a guard would just tell the passengers to get out.

Which is why I have such a problem with people calling for the Gardai to "use common sense" whenever certain subjects come up. From relatively minor things like illegal numberplates to things like driving along on a learners permit, the Gardai sending people off and telling them to sort it just makes the stuation worse. There should at least be a culture of the Gardai logging every stop and the reason on to pulse then after5 3 stops for the same thing a fine and points should be sent out automatically by the system.

Living in Dublin, I can be fairly confident that I could be pulled 10 times by different Gardai for the same offence. If every one of them sends me on my way with a ticking off, how is that effective policing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I thought you were looking to put a peephole in the back of your van OP - I had you pictured as some sort of spy!(alright, perv) I thought it was standard to inform anyone travveling in the back of a van that if stopped, they had to hide under whatever was already in there or they would never get a lift again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

why is your only concern what the gardai would do, how about considering how stupid or dangerous the whole idea is,as mentioned already you are not covered by insurance, and are endangering the lives of any passengers in the back of a van

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

OP, you're asking because you know this is wrong.

I asked the same question about 2 years ago and got dogs abuse over it. And rightly so. It's all well and good doing your mates a favour, but if you're caught, it won't be them who gets done by the Gardai - it's YOU.

You know it's wrong, you know bad things might and will happen if you're caught... so save yourself the stress and headaches, and just refuse. It's easier on you, saves a Garda a stressful night, and also means you won't have your friends injuries and/or deaths on your conscience if the worst did happen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This came up in a conversation a few years back, and having talked it over, we couldn't actually find an offence that could be used. There isn't a law against carrying passengers in a vehicle that has no seats with seatbelts excluding the front seats. I don't see how a careless or dangerous driving offence would stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Get's my vote for Most Ridiculous Thread of The Year So Far award anyway.

OP what do you honestly think would happen? They're hardly gonna let you off without a hefty fine and a possible driving ban. Why take the risk just to help a few mates out? If you had to stop suddenly they are gone through the windscreen end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

166man wrote: »
    Get's my vote for Most Ridiculous Thread of The Year So Far award anyway.

OP what do you honestly think would happen? They're hardly gonna let you off without a hefty fine and a possible driving ban. Why take the risk just to help a few mates out? If you had to stop suddenly they are gone through the windscreen end of.

That is why you have a partition. Keep the mess in the rear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

When I was born in 1982 there were no child restraint systems, so I was traveling just lying (or later sitting when I grew up) on the rear seats. My parents got their first car equipped with rear seatbelts in 1997.
    I also remember in the beginning of the 90's we were traveling quite often with my uncle in his 3 seater renault traffic. Very often it could fit 2 families (7 people in total), so he had 4 kitchen chairs in the back. No one ever seen anything wrong with it. And miraculously we are all still alive.

I know times have changed, and people pay way more attention to safety these days, but it's not like some posters here write, that carrying passenger in the back of the van means instant death.
    TBH I can't see it being any worse than traveling in normal car seat without seatbelt, which many people do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Well seeing as I've awoken to find my laptop still on and STILL on the internet (how careless of me :mad:), time for my 2 cents...

I know a chap I went to school with who drove a carvan to school. The chap drove like a typical 18 yo to say the least. One day, he had the back crammed with 5 people and had a run in with the local gardai on his way back. Stopped and ordered everyone out. Even though he should have been accompanied, he was driving that van at the end of the day home and I didn't hear of any prosecutions or convictions.

Personally I wouldn't have people in the back of my cars while driving if I can help it, I wouldn't forgive myself if anything happened (hence why I drive a van) I think it stems from a crash I was in when I was 18...

The only time I have people in the back of my van is when its parked up out of sight and in the dark......... :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If the van was commercially taxed, couldn't you get into trouble, as you are not using it for commercial purposes? Unless of course you're a human trafficker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I know a clown that had 11 people in the very old type Corolla van one night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yeah we all did that sort of thing, but its not on nowadays, roads too busy and all that. Different world really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

We used to have ten to fifteen people in the back of an ould bedford van on the way to the beach, drinking and singing, stopping off at every pub, flying through the air at every bump, we were made of tougher stuff back then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

padma wrote: »
    we were made of tougher stuff back then :pac:

Actually, more than twice as many people died on the roads back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Yeah, but they were tougher dead people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Better roads, and better safety nowadays can't be disputed against. though it's not until the past 4 years that we see a decrease in road deaths, so I'd safely say it's due to better roads and driver awareness maybe http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Crash%20Stats/Road_deaths_Ireland59_to_09.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

At a checkpoint outside nenagh,
    I saw the cops taking 3 or 4 kids out of the back of a farmers jeep as it was a commerical jeep, and they were brought where ever in the back of the squad car.
    Dont know what offences the farmer was charged with though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

but people had more fun and the suicide rate was probably less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Recently sitting in traffic outside a primary school in Bray, Co. Wicklow when a van pulled up on opposite side of road outside a primary school.
    One of two female passengers got out and opened the side door, whereupon 3-4 small children climbed out, clutching their schoolbags. Looked like a normal school run to them.
    I did take the vans reg and thought of reporting them but shamefully I did not do so.

Advertisement