Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All i wanted to do was zoom out!!

• 28-04-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I turned on my netbook this morning, all fine and dandy until i get to the desktop home screen, it was zoomed in. i tried ctrl and minus but that didnt work then i went online to see what else i could do. i came across a question asking how to zoom out. they went through the whole "ctrl + -" thing also. but then someone said to restore it to the last update date. so i did this about 10 minutes ago and now theres a message appearing on the screen saying:

"The program cant start because urlmon.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"
    I've tried locating it in the recycling bin but its saying its not there.

All i wanted to do was get the screen right!!! :o what do i do? should i bring it back to where i got it and see what they can do? or can any one help?

thank you VERY much in advance :)

P.S what is a urlmon.dll anyway?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right click on your desktop, and click on properties, click on settings, then see what the screen resolution is set to, report back to us.

It should be 1024*600

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

yeah its 1024x600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ozmo

ianofitz wrote: »
    ... but then someone said to restore it to the last update date. so i did

You can always undo a restore... get you back to where you were - might get rid of the dll missing problem....

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

ozmo wrote: »
    You can always undo a restore... get you back to where you were - might get rid of the dll missing problem....
    ^^^yup, try this, back to a time before the one you used earlier.
    What is urlmon.dll doing on my computer?

urlmon.dll is a module that contains functions used by Microsoft OLE (Object Linking and Embedding). urlmon.dll is a system process that is needed for your PC to work properly. It should not be removed.

Are you using Windows XP and trying to start Internet Explorer? Which internet explorer is it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679 <-->Try the stuff in that link and see how you get on.

The very first site you get when you google urlmon.dll "apparently" has the file but unless someone gives that site the OK I wouldn't use it.

Have you the Windows Reinstall discs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sounds like you have the Magnifier enabled. Start > Ease of access center, make sure its disabled. if you see a magnifying glass somewhere on the screen, click it.

• Advertisement

I dont use internet explorer, i use google chrome.
    how do i undo a restore? if i go back to a further date it will still be missing wont it?

Overheal wrote: »
    sounds like you have the Magnifier enabled. Start > Ease of access center, make sure its disabled. if you see a magnifying glass somewhere on the screen, click it.

nope thats not it :/ this is very annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Open command prompt, type in sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /) and let it run. Once it's finished, restart and check if the screen is back to normal.

The urlmon.dll problem is fixed, i just undone the restore. but the screen is still f**ked
    DarkJager wrote: »
    Open command prompt, type in sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /) and let it run. Once it's finished, restart and check if the screen is back to normal.

i tried that, and restarted it but its still the exact same :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What is your OS? Are all windows zoomed, or just desktop? Can you post a screenshot?

its windows 7. i would but i cant use the computer properly as i cant see anything. the whole thing is zoomed in, its the whole screen. not just certain ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Noodle scratcher all right. Have you tried CTRL and mouse scroll down using the wheel ?

@Mr.Presentable, ive tried every possible way of zooming out even! the most annoying thing is it seems so simple yet it seems almost impossible to fix!

ill bring it into to Know How during the week and see what they say.

What graphics card is installed?

Reinstall or Update the drivers is pretty much all that's left to try.

What graphics card is installed?

Reinstall or Update the drivers is pretty much all that's left to try.

I wouldnt have a clue what graphics card is installed. haha how do i update the drivers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Take a picture of the screen on your phone or something if you can't get a screenshot. Seems a bit ridiculous, but even i'm curious at this stage!

I wouldnt have a clue what graphics card is installed. haha how do i update the drivers?
    Start-->Right Click Computer-->Manage-->Device Manager-->Display Adapter(s)-->what's listed here?

If it's just Intel 3000 then double click it-->click the driver Tab-->Update driver-->see if that sorts it.

Any other Windows driver and you could just delete it, turn off computer and it'll reinstall it itself on restart but that doesn't work (well) with the graphics one.

If AMD or Nividia are listed you'll need to go to their site to get the new drivers, delete the ones you have now and then install the new ones.

A windows Repair may fix your problem.

Have you some sort of Anti-virus installed, this all sounds abit virusy.

Don't give it to Know How, it's a Windows 7 Machine, you can have it back to the way it was when you bought it....in like 20 minutes and save yourself €€€.

It's as simple as pressing something like F8 on startup (the button depends on what your machine is, HP, Dell) and following the instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Hardly booting in Safe Mode?

Start-->Right Click Computer-->Manage-->Device Manager-->Display Adapter(s)-->what's listed here?

If it's just Intel 3000 then double click it-->click the driver Tab-->Update driver-->see if that sorts it.

Any other Windows driver and you could just delete it, turn off computer and it'll reinstall it itself on restart but that doesn't work (well) with the graphics one.

If AMD or Nividia are listed you'll need to go to their site to get the new drivers, delete the ones you have now and then install the new ones.

A windows Repair may fix your problem.

Have you some sort of Anti-virus installed, this all sounds abit virusy.

Don't give it to Know How, it's a Windows 7 Machine, you can have it back to the way it was when you bought it....in like 20 minutes and save yourself €€€.

It's as simple as pressing something like F8 on startup (the button depends on what your machine is, HP, Dell) and following the instructions.

thanks very much Avalanche,

i have the free version of AVG on it and i have had micro trend also. i am doing the update at the moment. it is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.

• Advertisement

This is what it looks like
    DSC_0715.JPG

the message in the bottom left hand corner is meant to be roughly 3 inches in height.

@avalanche, that update didnt work, it looks the exact same as it did before :/

This is what it looks like
    DSC_0715.JPG

the message in the bottom left hand corner is meant to be roughly 3 inches in height.

@avalanche, that update didnt work, it looks the exact same as it did before :/

And the resolution is set to 1024*600? It could be set to 1024*768!

Why is the task bar on the top of the screen?

What's the dock thing on the top of the screen with the arrow pointing down? Close this for a start. Move the taskbar to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Looks like Stardock or what ever that addition app is.

the task bar is at the top because i can see the task bar if its at the bottom! the drop down thing is like an ASUS Fun Centre.... its not able to be closed.

yes the Resolution is at 1024x600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

This is just a guess but don't some laptops/netbook touch pads have a screen zoom done by putting two fingers on the touch pad and pulling them together and pushing away for a zoom in zoom out.

This is just a guess but don't some laptops/netbook touch pads have a screen zoom done by putting two fingers on the touch pad and pulling them together and pushing away for a zoom in zoom out.
    yeah they do, i tired that but unfortunately that didnt work

Advertisement