Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobh. British navy ships 1945-1946

• 10-11-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Reposted from another forum for more information:

Hi, Anyone have any relatives who remembers British navy ships visiting Cobh in 1945-1946.

I met a man in Uk recently who served on a Minesweeper names HMS Orestes. He told me that he was here for ten months clearing mines after WW2 and how much he enjoyed spending time at Cobh Harbour or Queenstown as it was called then.

I have Googled the name of the ship and Ireland but no information comes up.
    Just wondered if anyones still out there that has any interesting memories of that time.

Thank for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thank you Johny D. That was most interesting.
    Appreciated.

no problem.

WW1 Queenstown/Cobh is more my interest so nice take a look at a different era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Unrelated but an interesting pic of a British warship in Queenstown -date uncertain - from a magic lantern slide that sold on eBay recently. What I found interesting was that such an old fashioned warship made it into the photographic era.

QUEENSTOWN.jpg

nice photo.

There's something similar on this page but not quite as good

http://www.sailcork.com/index.php/blog/full-story/irish-naval-service-and-the-navy-race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Unrelated but an interesting pic of a British warship in Queenstown -date uncertain - from a magic lantern slide that sold on eBay recently. What I found interesting was that such an old fashioned warship made it into the photographic era.

QUEENSTOWN.jpg

Details, please, if you can. I might be able to trace it!

tac

I think the ship imay be HMS Revenge, stationed at Queenstown till approx 1890.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'kay -

Launched 16 April 1859 at Pembroke Dock -

17 February 1875
    - 4 March 1878 Commanded by Captain Henry Rushworth Wratislaw, flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown
    4 March 1878
    - 26 February 1881 Commanded by Captain Charles Matthew Buckle, flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown
    26 February 1881
    - 1 March 1884 Commanded by Captain Philip Ruffle Sharpe, flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown
    13 August 1881
    - 6 August 1884 Commanded by Commander William Robert Clutterbuck, flagship of , flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown
    1 March 1884
    - 24 January 1887 Commanded by Captain Robert Peel Dennistoun, flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown
    5 February 1887
    - 28 July 1889 Commanded by Captain Frederic Proby Doughty, flagship of Admiral Arthur Farquhar, flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown
    3 August 1889
    - 8 March 1890 Commanded by Captain Francis Starkie Clayton, flagship of the Port Admiral, Queenstown (replaced by Triumph at Queenstown]

Broken up at Appledore in 1923.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Strange that she was launched as late as 1859 without steam - I wonder how long she was on the stocks? Some of the older two & three deckers were used as prison hulks at that time - There was one in Dun Laoghaire in the mid 1800's and it once was proposed to use her as a clubhouse for a yacht club.

Advertisement