Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

WANT
    NEW
    3DS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    I see we now have a decent 3DO emulator after many years.

It's no wonder it took so long though. The 3DO like the Saturn used Quads and the architecture was almost as bananas!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Slight thread derailment , but withdrew the broken VCS I had for sale on adverts as I wanted to have a crack at repairing it (plus there wasnt exactly a rush of decent offers).
    Anyway , took it apart completely , put it back together checking everything was tight , adjusted the (pot?) screw on the RF module and voila , working again.
    Those things are built like feckin' tanks!
    I'll throw it up for trade in the next day or so I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

As uninterested as I am in Miiverse, I did like how Nintendo pitched it.

You have Microsoft and it's horrible attempts to be cool by rolling out Usher and then you have Nintendo who knew they couldn't be cool so were deliberately naff and it was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Has to be said, giant controller aside, the WiiU and it's features are absolutely biblical. What a console it's shaping up to be. :eek:

..Meh , its a Nintendo console , I havent been excited about a new Nintendo console since...actually I've never been bothered about any Nintendo console's release.
    I know I'm alone here but I just cant get excited..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ..Meh , its a Nintendo console , I havent been excited about a new Nintendo console since...actually I've never been bothered about any Nintendo console's release.

YouMad.jpg?1260647699

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Dr Bob wrote: »

It doesn't excite me either. I'm more interested in what hacks and mods I can do with the new controller. Which is not a good sign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think if nintendo can get the third party support for WiiU it could be good. Nintendos games on the Wii have been superb and it's a system a lot better than the shovelware label it has suggests. It just took a while to get there and it's been the N64 all over again with only Nintendo really supporting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought I heard the Mirror's Edge theme at the end of the EA conference there.

But it was just elevator music. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, but I'd by a ball of sh1te if it had a Nintendo logo on it, and having bought a 3DS at launch I know what I'm talking about..

Timescale of the new 3ds

3ds Xl announced

Sales of 3ds original stop

Price slashed on 3ds

Hack for original 3ds and flashcard come out

All original unsold 3dses fly off the shelves

Nintendo profit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Timescale of the new 3ds

3ds Xl announced

Sales of 3ds original stop

Price slashed on 3ds

Hack for original 3ds and flashcard come out

All original unsold 3dses fly off the shelves

Nintendo profit :D

I don't think anyone/company who is capable of hacking the 3ds is interested really. The possible costs involved of exploiting the console likely wouldn't outweigh any potential profit...as well there hasn't been much stuff to actually pirate until relatively recently.

As the 3DS grows though, I'd expect that to change.

There's no way I'm buying any potential 3DS XL, I'll definitely wait a while

True but if ninty by mistake release an exploit then someone will snap it up surely:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sparks43 wrote: »
    True but if ninty by mistake release an exploit then someone will snap it up surely:eek:

For sure, but usually these things have to be actively searched out & that means paying people/investing time & money/general expense.

Some lucky bedroom coder could find something, it's doubtful though

5 player Rayman looks like crazy fun on the WiiU

They better announce Overblood 3. Actually I'd piss myself laughing if Sony announce Legend of Dragoon 2 :)

Ubisoft are pretty much going all out for the WiiU

They actually have a zombie game set in London called, no joke, ZombiU

Ubisoft have always been one of the first to support a new platform so it doesn't surprise me. I'm just surprised that they aren't turfing yet another port of Rayman 2 on to it.

There is some sort of Raving Rabbids game...

It's all live here.

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

The best thing is you can vote second per second to show how impressed or not impressed you are... Always fun to watch the thing plummet when the hip presenters come on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh, the Dead Space 3 demo is painful. Always upsetting to see a potentially promising franchise have all the life just sucked out of it.

Metal Gear fans.... They won't have a bad word said about MGS4 despite it being quite terrible in many ways yet think that the amazing looking MGS Rising is an abomination. Muppets.

MGS4 was my favourite... but then I did not enjoy MGS series.

In non-E3 news I was in Galway at the weekend and nearly **** myself when I saw this in a 2 Euro store until I realised what it actually said:

207653.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Haha! I think we need cut your face out of that and use it as the official new Troll Face!

I'm after buying another Laser Blaster Gun for the PS2, complete with pedal this time.

Was only used once and put back in the box, looks in great nick.

I was the only bidder & @ £1 + £6 p+p from the UK,
    i had to PM the selller who was really nice and bump that upto £16 and see if he was okay with it.

Made the sellers day!

He was real nice too when I asked him how much would shipping be to Ireland in advance.

Think of it like,
    he's only selling the bloody thing for a pound really as he has to pay the postage himself and paypal fees on top of that.

It's the ethical thing to do.

I'll probably try and use the light sensor in the crappy one, for the vectrex light pen project if its suitable.

This is a bit cheeky and completely non retro so sorry mods :o
    My girlfriend and some co-workers are doing the Four Peaks Challenge at the weekend for charity (Focus Ireland, where they work). They've called themselves the Tenacious Turtles for some reason and unfortunately they still haven't gotten to there fund raising goal yet.

Some paintings my GF did earlier for the the team:
    dsc1650b.jpg
    dsc1659b.jpg
    dsc1657b.jpg

Info on the event(video in there as well):
    http://www.focusireland.ie/index.php/get-involved/take-part-in-an-event/upcoming-events/the-four-peaks-challenge/?gclid=CMKJ1oGKtrACFYFN4Qodw36LMQ

You can sponsor them here if you'd like, every little helps(1 euro or 1000). Also, feel free to share the link around if you have any charitable or insanely wealthy friends :)
    Sponsorship link:
    https://www.focusireland.ie/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm%2Fcontribute%2Fpcp%2Finfo&id=122&Itemid=285

/begging mode now disabled.

Well, since I have that new 3DO emulator I decided to pop in my absolute favourite 3DO game (perhaps favourite game ever on any system) and make a nice video.

I know, I know, you guys are all jealous that I have this game on many systems and would kill me in a heartbeat to aquire them all. But you're just going to have to live with it and get your ROTR fix from the below vid.

All emu enhancements were turned off by the way, no hqx2/3/4 or any of that sort of thing.

Edit:
    As you can see from the video the gameplay is still as fluid and dynamic as it's always been and this game is one of the few that has really aged well. I just love the flow of the game and lets not forget the massive amount of moves available. And of course lets not forget the huge list of playable characters to choose from.

Also,
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They better announce Overblood 3. Actually I'd piss myself laughing if Sony announce Legend of Dragoon 2 :)

01552.jpg

tena.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0 is no lady!

So far, according to e3, what should I be looking out for? Haven't watched or read anything about the event yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement