Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traps and Tricks and Such

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Gonna eat loads again between now and April at the least. Kicked off with 2 all-I-can-meats in the mongol bbq since yesterday.

Anyway.

Deadlift
    Warm up sets
    200Kg x 2
    200Kg x 2

So glad 200 is still there at all. Who knew.

150Kg x 4
    150Kg x 4

These did feel heavy though.

Chins

Or something like that.

Calf ext crapulence

attempted a few sets of 30kg x 10 shrugs but couldn't make my calluses **** off so left it a bit quick.

Tried some ab rollouts. No idea what I'm doing. Stuck with familiar planks instead. 3 rounds of a minute or two each.

Yesterday

Bench
    60 x 8
    80 x 4
    90 x 4
    90 x 3
    90 x 3
    90 x 3
    90 x 3
    90 x 2
    80 x 4
    80 x 4
    80 x 4

Curls
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 5

Chest Fly Machine
    8 plates x 10
    10 plates x 10
    10 plates x 10
    10 plates x 10
    10 plates x 10

Dips

Today

Squat

60kg x 12
    100kg x 8
    140kg x 9
    140kg x 9
    140kg x 9
    140kg x 9

Bench

70kg x 9
    70kg x 9
    70kg x 9
    70kg x 9

Oh, and just so I've it recorded somewhere I won't forget: I was 91kg on like the 28th Feb. Think that's as low as it went.

Squat
    warm ups
    147.5kg x 7
    147.5kg x 7
    147.5kg x 7
    147.5kg x 7
    147.5kg x 7

Chins

Plank
    2:00
    1:35

Foam rolling quads and ITBs

• Advertisement

Bench

75kg x 7
    75kg x 7
    75kg x 7
    75kg x 7
    75kg x 7

Curls
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 6
    20kg DBs x 6

Squat

60kg x 10
    100kg x 8
    130kg x 7
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5

Yesterday

Bench

80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Curls

20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 6
    20kg DBs x 6

Bench
    85kg x 10 x 3

Squat
    167.5kg x 10 x 3

Yesterday

Bench
    80kg x 4 x 9

Squat
    157.5kg x 4 x 9

Some of the ugliest reps in a long time and I had to break the 2nd set in two after nearly failing from smashing into the safety rails from going too deep.

Curls
    20Kg DBs x 3 x 8

• Advertisement

Yesterday

Foam rolling ITBs and quads
    Messing around with a hockey ball, trying to wreck my glutes and stuff. Did this the last day too and I think it's doing something because I had glutes DOMs like never quite before.

Squat
    warm up sets

165kg x 7

165kg x 7

165kg x 7

165kg x 7

165kg x 7

Took me a while to get through these. Phew.

Bench

warm up sets

85kg x 7
    85kg x 7
    85kg x 6 + failed the 7th. Ugh. Came close.
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5

Disaster. Supposed to be all 7s.

Chins

Foam rollin' & hockey ballin'

Squat

175Kg x 7 x 5

Strong through them all. But I'm definitely after falling out with my right leg groin and probably left leg patella. ****.

Bench

87.5kg x 7 x 5

Squat

182.5kg x 10 x 3

Knee sleeves for these. Dead.

DB Curls

20kg DBs x 3 x 9

Foam rolling

Both my hip flexors (?) are very pissed.

This morning:

Squat
    warm up sets

162.5kg x 9
    162.5kg x 9
    162.5kg x 9

Had to leg it.

Later this evening, in another gym:

Squat

162kg x 9

They had really weird KG numbers on the plates but it was ~162kg anyway.

Then I tried to bench. Not happening.
    Elbow flexors are now the ones being extremely pissed. Tendinitis job. Feels bad, man. Just going to eat my fish oils, try some anti-inflams and get the hell through the rest of the days here though. Only 3 squat days left. I fell another day behind on bench, so 5 bench days left. I'll have like 5 days rest before this comp anyway.

Bench
    92.5kg x 3
    tendonitis x 255

Went off and did some curls and shrugs in a desperate attempt to make my elbow flexors cop on.
    It didn't work. Lashed on a load of winter green oil so. Elbows now on fire. May as well bench.

92.5kg x 3
    92.5kg x 3
    92.5kg x 3
    92.5kg x 3
    92.5kg x 3

Stabbing in the side of my tricep/shoulder won out at this point. **** sake.

If I'm able, I'll try doing the last 4 sets tomorrow before I squat. **** knows what I'll be like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭COH

I remember running double smolov... on my last day I spent the time between sets doubled over on the floor of the gym in pain. I then proceeded to fall apart, never tested, then my back imploded. Have fun :D

Didn't get the extra bench sets in so let's just say I failed yesterdays workout.

Today

Squat
    172.5kg x 5 x 7

Few ugly reps again. Might be happening when I've no mirror actually.

Oh there was actually an epic battle for my calves to keep me balanced (from falling over) at the top of one squat near the end. All my messing paid off finally, always knew haha.

Yesterday

Bench

85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5

Curls
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 8
    20kg DBs x 8

A ton of foam rolling legs.

Also, as a nutrional aside; I seriously have to stop getting breakfast confused with buckfast. Good god.

• Advertisement

Squat

60kg x 10
    100kg x 7
    Belt on:
    140kg x 5
    Knee sleeves on:

182.5kg x 5
    182.5kg x 5
    182.5kg x 5
    182.5kg x 5
    182.5kg x 5
    182.5kg x 5
    182.5kg x 5

Last rep was quite a fight. Nearly fell forward on one rep earlier too. Though I blame the distraction of people doing only the worlds silliest exercises all only in front of me between the mirror tonight.

Happy with this. One day of Smolov left. It's going to be hard.

^Forgot to post about the last day of Smolov: Did 192.5kg for 6x3 but had to leave before the last 4 sets. They were there but just didn't bother doing them the next day or anything, the IPO comp was just 4 days off at that stage.

Made the <90kg weight div and got 195kg, 95kg and 210kg at the comp anyway. Definitely had a few disasters. Failed 215kg squat twice. So disappointed with 195kg considering the squat training I'd just done. I suppose you can't really moan about coming away with anything you actually saw fit to pick as your opener though.

The only numbers I really had in my head anyway were to be 90kg and get 500kg total, which I just scraped. Definitely glad I did the comp, saw some lads lifting ridiculous weights even at low bodyweights.
    Thanks loads to COH and VIS for the bit of much-needed rope-showing on the day, didn't know what I was doing like.

I'll go to the Deadlift/Bench comp in a couple of weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done!

was that your first comp? Any vids?

Been trainin' a bit. Suppose I'll try updating it here again.

Today

Squat
    60kg x 11
    100kg x 8
    140kg x 6
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5

Dumbell Curls
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 9
    20kg x 8

So my squat has crumbled in the last week or two. I've been sick for a good 10 days now and been under-eating terribly I guess. Shouldn't be any surprise. Just have consistently felt the energy isn't there and had pretty uncool aching in my right glute and leg from drugs.
    Hopefully it'll all bounce right back when I recover and eat (i.e. immediately). I seem to be properly just under 90kg now too. Feels bad, man.

Forgot to mention upper body stuff is actually going okay. Not sure where my bench is at but it's been going alright (did 92.5kg for 8x4, felt good) and I got 10 straight chin ups for the first time this week also.

Ah yeah, haven't logged in 2 months anyway. I've been training regularly enough. Back to <3 times a week probably though.

Bodyweight is down yet more still. I haven't weighed in a week or two but I'd say I could even be under 88kg or something on an empty stomach right now.

My squat is in bits. Did 125kg for 4x9 yesterday and that was probably the least terrible squatting has felt in a good while. 150kg for 6x3 the other day fel like a struggle. Hips, groin and knees get angry basically every time I squat. I might just need to start taking glucosamine and fish oils again.

Bench is going okay actually. I don't think I've lost anything, not that there was much to lose. Not sure where the 1RM would be but I can still get a few reps over 100kg.

Deadlift hasn't changed either. 200kg comes up reliably for several reps. Haven't 1RM'd though.

I haven't been eating much, mainly out of carelessness. Happy enough to keep seeing where the defecit takes me though - with the possible exception of my squat; my relative strength is up on every lift and there's definitely a bit more leanness these days. Diminishing returns soon probably though. Not ready to attempt a surplus/bulk yet though, I'd only half-ass it.

Hit a small bench PR yesterday of 115kg and it felt like I could've succeeded with a heavier weight and all. Soon...

Still around 90kg, a little over it.
    Still squatting regularly, and feeling stronger and those patellar niggles faded away.
    Still deadlifting just around 200kg for a mixed handful of reps every once in a while.

I've just been dicking around training purely on habit for months now, thought the bench PR might (barely) justify an update. I might see where my squat is at soon, enjoying the heavy days.

I'm back doing BJJ and hopefully some striking very soon too. I'm pretty sure I'm going to (/should) give those priority over any strength training but as I said, find myself still just falling back on the comfortable habit of training the big three more often than not, albeit not always at 'comfortable' weights, at least.

Body comp isn't as good as it was earlier in year it seems; I'm able for slightly less dips and chin ups lately.

Like a sap, I've not been posting the last few months while my lifts weren't doing so good. Continuing in that vein, I thought I'd post a bit now that my stuff is sort of back to where it was.

To be honest, once I finally sort out my work schedule (probably January) I'm going to switch to just going to BJJ and MMA classes properly and do just enough powerlifting stuff to maintain something like a 180kg squat, 100kg bench, 200kg deadlift. That's conservative/realistic and I'd be annoyed at not being at least that strong any more.
    Thoughts welcome on what amount of / approach to training would be best to keep at least numbers like those. I think there's way more cool **** for me to learn in BJJ and definitely don't have time for both.

Bench
    85 kg x 8 reps
    85 kg x 8 reps
    85 kg x 8 reps
    85 kg x 7 reps

Squat
    60 kg x 8 reps
    100 kg x 6 reps
    140 kg x 3 reps
    170 kg x 1 reps
    192.5 kg x 3 reps
    192.5 kg x 3 reps
    192.5 kg x 3 reps
    192.5 kg x 3 reps
    192.5 kg x 3 reps

DB Bicep Curl

22.5 kg x 8 reps
    22.5 kg x 6 reps
    22.5 kg x 5 reps

Had a deadlift PR of sorts the other day also, with 210kg for 2 reps. Think I scraped 220kg once last year but 210kg was all I got in that comp this year so improving on that is nice.

• Advertisement

I didn't really want to post while I was doing nothing good but I eventually went for a few PRs over the last month.

My bodyweight hit maybe 95kg at the end of December, on the way back down, am like 93kg on an empty stomach now.

Squat was 210kg, just had a belt on (decided I'd go for the max the day I forgot my own belt and had to borrow someone else's :rolleyes: )

Bench was 120kg and then just today topped that with 125kg

and Deadlifted 230kg like two weeks ago

Not killing myself nor eating too strictly but enjoying training plenty anyway.

Advertisement