Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grant application for mature student

• 26-04-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey Guys
    Wondering could anyone help. I am returning to college as a mature student in an undergraduate conversion course, I already have a marketing level 8 degree. Which I completed in 2007. I am currently being educated in a fetac level 5 course run by fas, so I am getting about €200 a week.

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to a grant? I am 28 so my parents salary would have nothing to do with the application.

Hope ye can help
    MG x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

As you already have a qualification at level 8, you need to be progressing to a higher level in order to get funding. You won't be eligible unless you attend a course higher than a level 8. eg postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 moongal

But then I would have to be doing a post grad in the degree I have already, and as I want to move from marketing to psychology I was told you can't do a post grad because I didn't complete enough psych based subjects and would have to get a degree in it first. I would happily do a post grad if it were available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

moongal wrote: »
    But then I would have to be doing a post grad in the degree I have already, and as I want to move from marketing to psychology I was told you can't do a post grad because I didn't complete enough psych based subjects and would have to get a degree in it first. I would happily do a post grad if it were available to me.

Unfortunately because you already have a degree that is the rule - you might also be ineligible for "free fees" and you may have to pay the full fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ryanmj

If you have been claiming social welfare then You can apply for BTEA if the conversion course is a HDip some colleges call it a HDip others call it a postgraduate diploma.... It actually depends on the title of the course.

• Advertisement

No it's not post grad it's undergraduate degree, so I'd only be getting my level 8 again. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 26going80

hey just some ideas for you moongal..
    is there online courses that dont cost as much that could bring you up to a level 8.. i seen online courses that go the whole way to doctorate in applied pyscology... yes you would have to pay abit for these courses but i get from your messages that you live at home... so maybe you could work your way up that way?

Hey I would do that no bother, and I will have a look at that. I'm wondering is the cost going to be what I would have originally have to pay of €5750 per year over two years, I like the idea of going back to college full time because if you have any questions there is someone always there to help but if online courses are cheaper I would defo go.
    Thank you.

Hey did you find anything?
    Alot of online courses have videos, blogs and you can go on skpe and actually talk to lectures so although it would be as good as a class room environment yal still get help...
    alot of us are in the same sorta boat im trying to find out about fees and back to college too and its not going to well so i wish ya the best of look!!!

Hey thanks for that, no luck as of yet. Oh best of luck with yours, quite a crappy situation when you realise what you really want to do:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 EricC

I'm in the same boat myself. Qualified in 2010 in a course that is worthless....looking to go back to full time education only prob is the course I'm looking at is 4 yrs..... where am I going to get the funds together for that, I've estimated it'd cost the guts of 40K - 45K, taking into account college fees, rent, and living costs.... maybe even more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

EricC wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat myself. Qualified in 2010 in a course that is worthless....looking to go back to full time education only prob is the course I'm looking at is 4 yrs..... where am I going to get the funds together for that, I've estimated it'd cost the guts of 40K - 45K, taking into account college fees, rent, and living costs.... maybe even more....

But if you're going to be employable at the end of it then it's worth the hassle and expense.

Better getting a qualification and debt than doing nothing or something you hate for the rest of your life.

I would defo agree with that long halloween...if only I had known then what I know now eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelongwait08

has anybody heard anything since submitting their application , anyone received anything in the post?

Hey Moongal whats your update on the course?

Advertisement