Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Wallet

• 04-09-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Well gents, here's a nice gentlemanly predicament to ponder.

Like any good gentleman, I have many many credit cards and like to keep them in a dapper leather wallet. However, I am constantly having to replace my cards because they are bending and cracking in my wallet.

In the past three years I have gone through five wallets, all of varying styles and sizes, and no matter how hard I try I can't find one that will protect my cards.

I know many will tell me that I should stop putting my wallet in my arse pocket but old dogs etc...

So what do you folks think, has anybody else endured this pickle before?
    Can anyone recommend me a new sturdy wallet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Same situation here. I keep having to change wallets every few months because I just can't seem to find a good one. I've been looking for a hard leather wallet but it seems hard to find one. Most seem to be really soft leather that wears badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Have a very nice Gianfranco soft leather wallet.

Got it as a gift about 4-5 years ago, and is fantastic. No tearing problems, loose threads and has definitely stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was given a leather Dice wallet as a gift. The section for cards is very sturdy. I've had it about 2 years now and no bendy cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Same problem here, one time I even went so far as to complain to the bank, suggesting they should have sturdier cards.

One thing I can recommend though is, to back up the cards with useless cards.
    For example, I have three subway cards, I slot them into the same slots as the important cards to reinforce them. Doesn't solve the problem but it gets a little bit more life out of the laser and credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Gentlemen. How are we all doing this evening ? I hope we are all doing good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've never had a wallet. IMO, if you lose your wallet, you lose everything!!

A friend got a leather Guinness one from one of those tacky tourist shop places in a panic, and says it's the best one he's had in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Get something like this:

DQM-Leather-Card-Wallet-4.jpg

I used to carry bi-fold wallets for years, and always in my back pocket, but cards always cracked. I got one of these and moved it to my right front pocket. It's light and small, I currently have 5 cards in it and the centre part I put cash in.

It also doesn't leave you with a big bulge in your front or back pocket.

Carrying your wallet in your back pocket, will always leave you with cracked and broken cards. Front pocket is the best place to avoid breaking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dord wrote: »
    Same situation here. I keep having to change wallets every few months because I just can't seem to find a good one. I've been looking for a hard leather wallet but it seems hard to find one. Most seem to be really soft leather that wears badly.

You clearly have far too much money. Give it to me to mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

There seems to be a fairly well-documented downside to keeping a wallet in a back pocket - apart from the problem with broken cards.

http://www.sciatica101.com/basics/causes/is-your-wallet-causing-sciatica.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

KTRIC wrote: »
    You clearly have far too much money. Give it to me to mind ;)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Have had my Ben Sherman one for 2/3 years now. There are 6 card places and 2 large compartments for notes etc. Also, 2 other less obvious compartments between where the cards and notes are kept. Handy for driving licence.

Think I got it in Debenhams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I had a great leather wallet that protected my cards very well...until my dogs ate it! Been meaning to replace it for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Have an oakley wallet from dubai that is about 4-5 years old and literally hanging on by a thread, but I consider it good luck! You should check them out, it even has its own little hiding space for condoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Gandalph wrote: »
    Have an oakley wallet from dubai that is about 4-5 years old and literally hanging on by a thread, but I consider it good luck! You should check them out, it even has its own little hiding space for condoms

I hear its a bad idea to keep them in your wallet as the wrapper can easily get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

KTRIC wrote: »
    I hear its a bad idea to keep them in your wallet as the wrapper can easily get damaged.

Been there for 4 years now, never ever plan on using it, but its become a part of me at this stage, can't just throw it away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Been there for 4 years now, never ever plan on using it, but its become a part of me at this stage, can't just throw it away

Going by your username do you shout "You shall not penetrate!" at it when you see it?

:pac:

Don't suppose you have a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

rsz_gandalf_rotk_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Is it not really uncomfortable to put your wallet in you back pocket?

Never understood it to be honest, always kept mine in my right front pocket

But hey in a few years with nfc technology there will be no need for wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Tazium

Got one of these recently - http://www.koyono.com/wwSlimmy-Special-Edition-International-Slim-Wallet-p/m997se.htm

It's a lot smaller than my previous bi/tri folds. I'm still testing it out but so far, so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Had a Fossil wallet for the past 5 years. Coming to the end of its life though.

Really handy though. Seems to have endless storage space. For some reason every pub in Leicester has some kind of Loyalty Card, and being a student I needed every discount I could get.

Sadly they're stopped making this model, so I'll have to look into a new one, and maybe throw out some of these cards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Got myself a brown leather Oriano wallet in February '06-ish. Keep it in my front left pocket with no card problems..

Opens with a fold left and right with card slots each side and a flap over the middle with more card slots behind and to the side, two picturecard spaces, a zip section for coins and then the cash part at the back. There's probably cards lost in it that are 5 years old or long forgotten about. The folds have held up very well, one loose thread over the flap and the fold points are only slightly wearing

Touchwood, I've left it on several Red Line Luases and numerous buses including the 77s and it has always been recovered untouched, sometimes days later. I won't say anymore as I don't want to tempt fate and have to find another one which just won't be the same :mad: :pac:

Tazium wrote: »
    Got one of these recently - http://www.koyono.com/wwSlimmy-Special-Edition-International-Slim-Wallet-p/m997se.htm

It's a lot smaller than my previous bi/tri folds. I'm still testing it out but so far, so good.

Wow, that looks awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I recently got my second Mont Blanc wallet to replace once I got about 8 years ago. It's a great size and I love the look of it.

p30618b.jpg

cost me 175.

tbh wrote: »
    cost me 175.

Say what!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I got myself a nice Kenneth Cole leather wallet in TK Maxx a few years back. It's still in great nick. Only the 2nd wallet I've ever owned. My 1st one lasted almost 10 years. Can't remmeber the make of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

These are all great suggestions for nice wallets, but are they any good at stopping your cards from cracking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Jada Millions Technology

tbh wrote: »
    I recently got my second Mont Blanc wallet to replace once I got about 8 years ago. It's a great size and I love the look of it.

p30618b.jpg

cost me 175.

I'd have no money left to put in it if I spent that much on a wallet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

These are all great suggestions for nice wallets, but are they any good at stopping your cards from cracking?

i've not had one problem yet. never had a card crack. do you put your wallet in your arse pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

BDJW wrote: »
    I'd have no money left to put in it if I spent that much on a wallet :P
    Say what!?!

yeah - It's expensive :D a lot more than I'd usually pay for something like a wallet, but it's fantastic quality and lasts for years. I think it works out about 20 a year or so.

Advertisement