Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toughest Climb in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Another poster (can't recall who) created this map, which is fairly comprehensive for Wicklow.

If you want to know elevations and gradients etc. you'll have to map the road out in bikeroutetoaster or mapmyride. Tedious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

fignon03 wrote: »
    towards the windy gap

That climb is in the Junior Tour on the Time Trial and another stage where it goes up it twice. It's not long but bloody steep after 100+kms of racing (and for 5 or 6 days consecutively)! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

probably nothing compared to some of the hills you lads are mentioning, but i used to do Devil's Glen in Wicklow twice a year when i was 10-14 and found it an absolute killer. I literally had to cycle sideways just to keep moving at some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Raam wrote: »
    Keeper Hill, which I think is the one Blorg referred to earlier?
    It was on the route in 2008, which is the year I did the TOI.

I'm almost certain that the ToI climb was the Step rather than Keeper Hill. They're very close to each other. From the top of the Step you can see Keeper Hill just across the valley to the SW. There's just a private service road to the top (like Kippure in Wickla or Mullaghanish in Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cantalach wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that the ToI climb was the Step rather than Keeper Hill. They're very close to each other. From the top of the Step you can see Keeper Hill just across the valley to the SW. There's just a private service road to the top (like Kippure in Wickla or Mullaghanish in Cork).

Could well be. I'll have to check the DVD at home cos they defo gave the hill a fair bit of air time. They are bound to have mentioned the name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I found this hill 2 weeks ago as I was looking around the Silvermines for a decent climb to prep me for The Lost Sheeop Tri in Kenmare.

Its about 2.7km to the peak from Sivermines village and about 300m climb so averages about 11%. Saying that though there are sections on it that are 18%. I had to drive up it in 2nd gear. Lovely view from the top. I haven't cycled it yet. There is another one beside Shalee thats 3km and about 6% average with 10% max which I did a few repeats of last week. The 'Step' is my graduation hill, I'm going to give it a lash next week. Climbing it will be one thing but descending could be extremely scary as it twists sharply. Maybe I'll do it on a mtb first :)

Lads I don't think road bikes went up Keeper Hill. I ran up it last week, fireroads up to 2km befopre top then its strictly mtb territory i'd imagine. Can't wait to get my mtb and give it a go!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not a road cyclist, but i have driven this..and it is steep..
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.857305,-10.364485&spn=0.024385,0.055189&t=p&z=14

it's past port mageee in kerry heading down the coast..looks about 200m climb in less than a Km..20%?

we drove it a few times going scuba diving and always remember it was very steep

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

mossym wrote: »
    not a road cyclist, but i have driven this..and it is steep..
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.857305,-10.364485&spn=0.024385,0.055189&t=p&z=14

it's past port mageee in kerry heading down the coast..looks about 200m climb in less than a Km..20%?

we drove it a few times going scuba diving and always remember it was very steep
    Yes, I agree, that climb south from Portmagee is savagely steep. If you ride towards it from Knightstown on Valentia you see the line of the road in the distance cutting a very intimidating diagonal up the hill - it looks too steep to be a road but it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

MCOS wrote: »
    Lads I don't think road bikes went up Keeper Hill. I ran up it last week, fireroads up to 2km befopre top then its strictly mtb territory i'd imagine. Can't wait to get my mtb and give it a go!

As stated earlier I live quite near here and I have never heard of road bikes going up Keeper. Members of the local cycling club, North Tipp Wheelers, generally agreee that Step is the toughest climb in this region and that they rarely experience anything as difficult anywhewre else.

The Tour of Ireland sportive definitely went up here last year but I can't say for certain about this year.

Just a word of warning to anyone trying this for the first time - when you get to the carpark and the viewing point - you are only half ways there!

Anyway back to my original question - do people generally feel it would be a good project to convince the relevant authorities to map and sign the toughest climbs in Ireland? If there is sufficient support for this I would be happy to put in some work but would need help in particular in the area of deciding on criteria and picking the climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

michaelm wrote: »
    The Tour of Ireland sportive definitely went up here last year but I can't say for certain about this year.
    It was skipped in 2009 as it broke the field up too much in 2008- I had been dreading it all day, only realised we were not going over it towards the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think it's a great idea. To have Irelands toughest climbs clearly marked on maps and with signposts - similar to how the Wicklow Way has been marked - would be fantastic, giving cyclists targets when arranging cycles in areas they are unfamiliar with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Yes, I agree, that climb south from Portmagee is savagely steep. If you ride towards it from Knightstown on Valentia you see the line of the road in the distance cutting a very intimidating diagonal up the hill - it looks too steep to be a road but it is!

aye, that's the way i have driven in, reckon it's the steepest road i have been on in ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Anyway back to my original question - do people generally feel it would be a good project to convince the relevant authorities to map and sign the toughest climbs in Ireland? If there is sufficient support for this I would be happy to put in some work but would need help in particular in the area of deciding on criteria and picking the climbs.

I think it's an excellent idea, but I think it will stand more chance of being successful if it isn't just the toughest climbs in Ireland - toughness should probably be one criterion among a few others, like the attractiveness of the view when you get up there. Not every cyclist is into grunting up a 20% grade but I think most of us enjoy the view from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The signs thing is a cool idea :) I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

fignon03 wrote: »
    This is called glenisland booster station, you take the belmullet road leaving castlebar but head off at glenisland church towards the windy gap, ive done it ina car but ist more for MTB as the approach raods are gravel
    I did this during the week,road is very poor,took chunks out of my tires :mad:.Quite hard to stay on the bike with the gradient and stones but well worth it for the view.
    There is a much more road-bike friendly climb about 20k away at the Windy Gap.
    Sorry,can't seem to post photo's,will try again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

The climb up to Barley Lake in Glengarriff (Co.Cork) is pretty good. 1.7km and sections of 32% (Garmin 305 figures) Its a dead end though (pretty scenic up there).

Across the valley the climb is 1.8km and 25% (Garmin again.) this takes you up near the tunnels and you can drop down from here towards Kenmare, and up the Priests Leap from the Kerry side to make a nice hilly loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Greyspoke wrote: »

Sweet, i'm heading for Valentia for a few days tomorrow so i'll add this to the climb list. Any others of note in that area worth a gander?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

rottenhat wrote: »
    Not every cyclist is into grunting up a 20% grade
    What?? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I found this hill 2 weeks ago as I was looking around the Silvermines for a decent climb to prep me for The Lost Sheeop Tri in Kenmare.

Its about 2.7km to the peak from Sivermines village and about 300m climb so averages about 11%. Saying that though there are sections on it that are 18%. I had to drive up it in 2nd gear. Lovely view from the top. I haven't cycled it yet. There is another one beside Shalee thats 3km and about 6% average with 10% max which I did a few repeats of last week. The 'Step' is my graduation hill, I'm going to give it a lash next week. Climbing it will be one thing but descending could be extremely scary as it twists sharply. Maybe I'll do it on a mtb first :)

Is the Step tougher than Woodcock Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Sweet, i'm heading for Valentia for a few days tomorrow so i'll add this to the climb list. Any others of note in that area worth a gander?

Harder/more rewarding to climb from the St Finians Bay side, the hairpins are exceptionally steep, plus because the road to Port Magee is straight and well surfaced you can descend without braking, if you like that sort of thrill!

• Advertisement

I, like many people around here have been reading this (quite old now) thread and thinking, jeez I must try that one some day! Well, the one I picked to do today was the "Step" climb in the Tipperary Silvermines as part of a lovely 80km sunny trip. Just so others can see all the conversation relating to this climb in this thread, I have quoted many of them below for you to see. If you ask me, it was talked about more than any other climb which lead (and still leads) me to believe that it is certainly one of the toughest climbs in Ireland.

I am definitely a climber myself, and always trying to test myself that bit further. Well today this climb pushed me right to the limit, and for the first time ever the idea of stopping to get off the bike went through my head (but I didn't and thats all that matters :p). It is bloody steep alright, averaging 11% with about two sections of 18%. It is quite sheltered compared to other climbs I have done but matters were not helped when I was hit with a blast of a headwind about halfway up. I have no data for the climb itself because I forgot to hit the lap button on the Polar computer at the top! Next time. The bloody descent is fairly sketchy alright, I felt like I would be more at home on a down hill mtb with hydraulic disc brakes. You go up it all the way in your smallest gear (39x25 in my case) and come down it almost all the way on the brakes. My €40 Swisstop pads are definitely ready for replacement now! I'm just glad it wasn't wet and on my carbon rims, because I just wouldn't be comfortable at all in my ability to stop and control speeds effectively.

I felt like I would need a sat nav for the trip but I managed perfectly OK without it (would have been nice though). For anyone thinking of doing it, just coming into the town of Silvermines from the direction of Nenagh/Birdhill take the right turn up the road where the church will be facing you. Almost immediately you veer off left and on the ground you will see a TOI marking. At the T junction ahead take the right turn and you will soon feel pain, believe me! It hurts :D
    I'm almost certain that the ToI climb was the Step rather than Keeper Hill. They're very close to each other. From the top of the Step you can see Keeper Hill just across the valley to the SW.
    Yes, twas the "Step" they did alright because the road markings are still visable! ;)

As stated earlier I live quite near here and I have never heard of road bikes going up Keeper. Members of the local cycling club, North Tipp Wheelers, generally agreee that Step is the toughest climb in this region and that they rarely experience anything as difficult anywhewre else.

Just a word of warning to anyone trying this for the first time - when you get to the carpark and the viewing point - you are only half ways there!

Are you sure? - there are markings on the road for the Tour of Ireland (only appeared in early May) and they have nothing to do with last week's race as it was going in the other direction.
    Head south from Silvermines village - see partial GPS trace below.

62475.PNG
    In my own area (North Tipp) the hardest climb is believed to be what is locally known as "Step" - this is located just outside the village of Silvermines about 6 miles from Nenagh. This is where Paul Kimmage, when making a lone break in one of the Nissan Classics , famously got off his bike and was about to abandon but for the encouragement of a few locals who helped him on his way. This year it was looked at as part of the TOI route but they regarded the descent on the other side as too dangerous.

Hope this inspires others to give it a go at some time! Although it is short, the altitude you achieve is just amazing and gives a lovely view. Next time I'll take a photo, never even stopped today. Good luck :)

EDIT: I just thought I would post a link to the route including some of the gradients and profile! See below:

[url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/183126/87915.JPG[/url] including route profile.
    [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/183126/87953.jpg[/url]
    [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/183126/87954.jpg[/url]

I meant to say that the surface of this climb is top notch, but it still doesn't make it any easier!!! All I remember is absolutely standing on the pedals but hardly going anywhere and having to watch my balance as a result! Haha, thats not a good sign! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

oh easy,
    havin 9 pints in the summit inn howth ,thinking thats grand ill cycle home. Then forgetting your house keys and having to cycle back up. Now thats HARD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Jumpy wrote: »
    Is the Step tougher than Woodcock Hill?

Don't think Woodcock hill is considered all that bad by serious cyclists.

I'm not exactly a serious cyclist but nope the main climb isn't too steep at all...except for that ridiculously steep climb up from the Ballintlea crossroads,now that's a challenge :)

Anyway I must get over to the Step sometime and see how far I can get,by the sounds of it,it's the toughest climb in the country.Fair play for making it up there Ballyhoura!There's no way I'd make it at my current fitness level but it'll give me something to build up to at least.

No it's not at all! Looking at this post I made earlier in the week you can see that it really is nothing special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No it's not at all! Looking at this post I made earlier in the week you can see that it really is nothing special!

Interesting, I would consider your second option (up through the old cratloe) as a tougher hill than the one from Cratloe village. That steep bit just beyond the entrance to the woods has been bad to me.

Ballyhoura well done on getting up the Step!! Great climbing! I've done Gallows just once and although longer I wouldn't imagine its a patch on the step. In Fact the Shalee hill in the same vicinity as the Step is even tougher gradient than Gallows but shorter (3km avg 6% incline with a 10% section

I cycled up keeper hill last night, well up to about 500m and I was on the mtb so spinning a very easy gear (still hard work though). You definitely would not get a road bike up there. Fun descent however!

In Fact the Shalee hill in the same vicinity as the Step is even tougher gradient than Gallows but shorter (3km avg 6% incline with a 10% section

Whereabouts is that climb of Shalee hill? I think its nice to combine a couple of climbs into the one trip (I prefer it to just doing hill repeats, not that I think I could have got up the Step again anytime that day!) especially seeing as its like 40kms from my house to that area! Could you point it out to me somehow on a map? Cheers ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Ballyhoura,

I had trouble with the link so just pasted it into a doc for you. Its en route to the Step. If you are heading out the N7 from Birdhill, take the right turnoff to Silvermines and follow the road heading into the Silvermines. About 2 miles before Silvermines Village you will pass a crossroad, turning left will take you into Nenagh, Shalee hill is on your right. It starts off gentle enough and just gets steeper as you go along. Its pretty straight too so you can fly back down at 60+ km/h.

Advertisement