Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which name on passport?

• 04-06-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21 bunalunhoney

Does the Irish passport show both the name on your birth certificate and the name you prefer to be called by? I booked flights to USA using my official birth certificate forename Jacqueline and I'm now applying for an irish passport for the first time and I want to have the name I've always been called on it, Jackie. Will it be clear on the passport that I'm officially Jacqueline, in order that the details of my flight match up. I have always been called Jackie and I'd love to have this on my passport but I'd be screwed if it jeapordised my check in at the airport. Has anyone had successful/unsuccessful experience of this? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

As far as I know if you send in your birth cert with the name Jacqueline lets say "Smith" on it and on you passport application form put Jackie Smith this will be what will show on your passport. If I'm wrong...apologies :o
    Does the Irish passport show both the name on your birth certificate and the name you prefer to be called by? I booked flights to USA using my official birth certificate forename Jacqueline and I'm now applying for an irish passport for the first time and I want to have the name I've always been called on it, Jackie. Will it be clear on the passport that I'm officially Jacqueline, in order that the details of my flight match up. I have always been called Jackie and I'd love to have this on my passport but I'd be screwed if it jeapordised my check in at the airport. Has anyone had successful/unsuccessful experience of this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bunalunhoney

Thanks. I think I'll check in the post office when I leave my form in. They should know the right way to do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's just an abbreviation of the same name that you prefer to have your mates call you by, what does it matter which version you have printed on some government document? Now if you were actually changing your name by deed poll then I could see the problem with making sure that they use the right version of you.

What do you suppose Bono has written on his passport?

You can get a form signed by the garda station to say you go by Jackie and this will be printed on your passport. There is also an option to have your birth cert name included on the passport and this will then be print on the page adjacent to the photo page. Personally, I think you are safer to stick with your birth name especially going to the US as you may cause yourself unneccessary hassle.

edit; just re-read the OP. Now that you have booked the tickets using Jacqueline, you must use this name on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Hi Jackie, there's a section in the passport application form for you to put down the name you want on the passport and then a separate section where you put in your Birth Cert details. You can then tick a box to say you want your birth cert details listed on a separate page.

I got this done years ago (I use a different spelling of my name) because the Passport office told me that putting in "my" version only could lead to problems down the road getting visas for the US etc. I had to submit proof of usage of the different spelling too, and they returned these to me.

I always book flights under "my" spelling, the one on the photo page.

Also, on the electoral register I'm under my birth cert spelling, so it's handy to have that listed on my passport so I can show them I'm the right person! (As I discovered yesterday!)

But I guess this is info only as the passport name needs to match the flight name so it seems you don't have a choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement