Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Round abouts.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

loobylou wrote: »
    Its not vague at all. The rules of the road say you should be in the left lane when going straight through the roundabout, unless roadmarkings dictate otherwise or EXCEPTIONAL circumstances exist, as quoted earlier.

Interesting second point though. You seem to suggest that its OK to be in the incorrect lane going straight through because nobody else will/should/might be in the incorrect lane while turning right.

If everybody were to obey the current rules, local anomalies could or should be sorted out by local authorities.
    Instead we have a situation where people decide which rules of the road they agree with and choose to obey.

I wonder why the rules are different in the uk. The Highway code says use the left lane for turning left, right lane for right and 'appropriate' lane For intermediate exits. To be honest I took my test in uk and was taught that you can go straight on in either left or right lane. I did not know until reading the Irish equivalent to highway code that the rules here were different although I still think if there is traffic in the left lane that would class as exceptional circumstances, there is no way a traffic jam would form at a roundabout if there were two lanes at each side of the roundabout.

I can't see many guards stopping you. I saw a guarda car drive towards charlesland from town in the left lane, he turned right in to charlesland estate using left lane at roundabout while a car in the right lane was coming out of charlesland turning right and that car almost drove straight in to side of guarda car. Guarda appologies with a nod and wave and dipped head and kept going. This was about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Jimjay wrote: »
    I did not know until reading the Irish equivalent to highway code that the rules here were different although I still think if there is traffic in the left lane that would class as exceptional circumstances, there is no way a traffic jam would form at a roundabout if there were two lanes at each side of the roundabout.

I can't see many guards stopping you. I saw a guarda car drive towards charlesland from town in the left lane, he turned right in to charlesland estate using left lane at roundabout while a car in the right lane was coming out of charlesland turning right and that car almost drove straight in to side of guarda car. Guarda appologies with a nod and wave and dipped head and kept going. This was about a week ago.

The first rule of the road (in Ireland naturally) is to keep left. Therefore it is unreasonable for you to suggest that traffic in the left lane as being an exceptional circumstance.
    To be fair too, traffic jams are not forming at Greystones roundabouts, although I do accept your point on a more regional level. This though ought to be up the local authorities to rectify on a case by case basis, ie by marking roundabouts appropriately.

The fact too that Guards are unlikely to stop you does not make what you are doing correct or legal. Most times they just couldn't be a***ed, which in itself perpetuates the problem.

BTW to keep this relevant locally, last week I had a beauty. From Eden Gate roundabout (where I joined), all along towards Greystones, guy in the right overtaking lane and for the very last roundabout he moved back into the left lane to make a right turn:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

If everyone obeyed the 12 o clock left lane only rule. Loughlinstown roundabout would be worse than it is at peak times. a right lane driver poses no threat to the left as long as everyone is staying on the correct side of lane lines. It's a ridiculous rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Huntthe wrote: »
    The rules.

If you are exiting at the first or second exit be in the outside lane.

Any other exit be in the inside lane.

Anything before 12 o clock position is left lane, anything after 12 is right lane unless signage dictates otherwise, ie on dual carraigeways confirmed by RSA after a query after this thread topic came up in motors

exit number does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

If everyone obeyed the 12 o clock left lane only rule. Loughlinstown roundabout would be worse than it is at peak times. a right lane driver poses no threat to the left as long as everyone is staying on the correct side of lane lines. It's a ridiculous rule.

The purpose of roundabouts is to improve traffic flow. If the design of a particular roundabout is not doing that, it is up to the local council to correct that.
    The confusion arises because many people decide that the law is ridiculous and therefore it should not apply to them.
    I agree with you about Loughlinstown roundabout, however the solution is to change the lane markings as opposed to everyone taking the law into their own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

The Australian rules allow 12 o clock straight ahead both lanes too,
    http://www.brisbanedrivingschool.com.au/road_rules/part_9_roundabouts.pdf
    But what would they know?
    They need to learn how to make cardboard licences and allow young people stick an L on a Porsche and drive away without any lessons :-)

Anything before 12 o clock position is left lane, anything after 12 is right lane unless signage dictates otherwise, ie on dual carraigeways confirmed by RSA after a query after this thread topic came up in motors

exit number does not matter.

I think we all get that. We are talking about 12oclock as far as i understand, not before 12oclock or after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jimjay wrote: »
    I think we all get that. We are talking about 12oclock as far as i understand, not before 12oclock or after it.

ah, well up to and including 12 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

I passed my test in the UK and also was a qualified motorcycle instructor and the rules were (are?) simple.

2 lanes in with 2 lanes exit > either lane can be used for straight on unless specifically marked out otherwise.

Right lane for straight on (only if 2 lanes exit) and turning right only.

Left lane, turning left or straight on. NEVER EVER turning right, that is, taking an exit beyond what we all understand to be straight ahead (12 o clock).

You must also give way to traffic ON the roundabout when entering. Except if you happen to drive on the island of Jersey.

Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭.243

I passed my test in the UK and also was a qualified motorcycle instructor and the rules were (are?) simple.

2 lanes in with 2 lanes exit > either lane can be used for straight on unless specifically marked out otherwise.

Right lane for straight on (only if 2 lanes exit) and turning right only.

Left lane, turning left or straight on. NEVER EVER turning right, that is, taking an exit beyond what we all understand to be straight ahead (12 o clock).

You must also give way to traffic ON the roundabout when entering. Except if you happen to drive on the island of Jersey.

Simple really.
    spot on
    is the ruling for the island of jersey the same for the roundabouts in france too ??

• Advertisement

.243 wrote: »
    spot on
    is the ruling for the island of jersey the same for the roundabouts in france too ??

Lol. I dont think they have rules for the roundabouts in france, even for the ones that seem to have five lanes :-)

The Jersey rule is alternative give way, so the car on the roundabout gives way and allows one car to enter the roundabout and so on.

It works well as it prevents the mad long queues to enter a roundabout that has prominent traffic from the right etc.

One car enters roundabout, one passes on roundabout, the next car enters the roundabout.

How bl**dy simple is that! Make it a traffic law, enforce it. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I think the bottom line is that the most frustrating thing about our local (and I suppose nationally) round-abouts, is people driving in the left lane attempting to turn right. It's completely illogical if nothing else.:confused:

Langerland wrote: »
    I think the bottom line is that the most frustrating thing about our local (and I suppose nationally) round-abouts, is people driving in the left lane attempting to turn right. It's completely illogical if nothing else.:confused:

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

We're all reading this cause we're responsible, conscientious drivers.
    The problem with cr*p drivers is that they couldn't care less about doing it right and so will never even read a forum like this if they came across it.

Langerland wrote: »

As a motorcyclist it is also attempted murder if I'm trying to go straight ahead on a 2 lane in / 2 lane out roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

The standard of driving around the town is appalling imo. People rarely indicate at junctions nevermind roundabouts. The killincarrig roundabouts are just painted on but that's no excuse for the drivers approaching at speed from Greystones towards (Delgany/killincarrig) the next one. They drive staright across them at speed and no indication so if you're trying to enter the roundabout from kilcoole side they'd nearly crash into you.
    Also another roundabout is the one at Shoreline. Cars coming from Greystones going to Charlesland should get into the left lane and indicate their intention. Cars going straight should be in the right lane and not cut the left lane on the roundabout and signal off when leaving. Approaching the roundabout from Charlesland they have painted arrows giving advanced warnings of what each lane is to be used for. Why can't this be done from both the other sides? (Straight only or right/left only)
    Also if you're taking the last exit or anything after 12.00 you should indicate right to let other motorists know you are going around. Then indicate left before your exit,not at the exit before your exit as then someone will pull out in front of you ie. me!

Advertisement