Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi skills test

• 11-05-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

About time too.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0511/breaking53.htm
    Taxi drivers given 'no warning' of skills test
    TIM O'BRIEN

The campaign group Taxi Drivers for Change has said it was not given advance notice of this morning's introduction of new driver skills tests, by the Commission for Taxi regulation.

The Commission announced it will be mandatory for all new entrants to the small public service vehicle (SPSV) industry to engage in a skills development programme, and an area knowledge test.

The skills development programme will be rolled out to existing drivers on a phased basis.

From today new entrants to the industry will face a test on:

- The basic rules of operating in the SPSV industry, including licensing, regulations, rights and responsibilities

- Vehicles, including standards, testing and maintenance

- Area knowledge, route selection, map reading, testing and fares

- Delivering customer satisfaction, including disability awareness, diversity and equality and complaints

- The SPSV business, including planning, promoting and running a business

- Safety, including personal security, health and safety and emergency situations.

Commissioner for Taxi Regulation, Kathleen Doyle commented; "I acknowledge that many drivers already offer an excellent service, however, ongoing personal development is a necessary requirement of any successful business and it is part of the Commission's objective to ensure that the SPSV industry has highly skilled drivers delivering high quality services."

However Frank Byrne of Drivers for Change criticised the lack of consultation with existing drivers before the announcement.

While he said the skills programme was a good idea, he said it did not go far enough.

He said it should include a far greater practical element similar to that used in London.

He also criticised its extension to existing drivers remarking that he had sixteen years experience.

"Am I to have to now sit a test to keep my job?" he asked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

He also criticised its extension to existing drivers remarking that he had sixteen years experience.

"Am I to have to now sit a test to keep my job?" he asked.
    Yes Frank, you are. What's the problem if you know your job (shouldn't that read: business?) anyway?

Hopefully the start of an in-depth knowledge of London style test that will put the cowboys (including the ones with 16 years experience) off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Great idea and so long overdue. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Its unreal the reaction from this Frank Byrne...
    "Am I to have to now sit a test to keep my job?"

Yes. You will be tested for competency in your chosen field of business.

No doubt some sort of protest will be fashioned.

DAY DUCK UR JIBS etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yes. You will be tested for competency in your chosen field of business.

It would be kind of funny if he failed the test, with his 16 years experience.

I'd break my hole laughing if all the old heads failed and the "foreigners" and "part timers" passed. It'd be so ironic. I would hope to God though that anyone driving for 16 years would pass with flying colours. Perhaps the test should be made a bit harder for them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

In my experience, a simple refresher course on the Rules of The Road would work wonders. If they used their indicators as much as their horns, the streets would be much nicer places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭patrickc

maybe taxi drivers will learn what hazard lights are really for, and not an emergency stop for a passenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Just looking at the Taxi Regulator website, and there is a link to spsvtest.ie and another to http://eu-securereg3.prometric.com/ProfessionalHome.aspx.

So basically the old system of €3 at the motortax office and drop your application into the Garda station is gone now?

Am I right in thinking that you now do these tests, submit the results to the Gardaí, get cleared and off you go?

How does this differ to the past? Just the area knowlege test or is their more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Introducing this stuff at short or no notice is indicative of an arrogant and stupid regulator wiping her own arse as she goes along, Frank is quite right to complain .

This should have been brought in as an entry condition to having the right to drive a plated car and not as a measure to belatedly clean up the hideous mess that she herself has created . It should also go with the driver not the car of course .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I e-mailed her about the protests when that started and she told me about the test then, I would assume other people knew too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

IIMII wrote: »
    Just looking at the Taxi Regulator website, and there is a link to spsvtest.ie and another to http://eu-securereg3.prometric.com/ProfessionalHome.aspx.

So basically the old system of €3 at the motortax office and drop your application into the Garda station is gone now?

Am I right in thinking that you now do these tests, submit the results to the Gardaí, get cleared and off you go?

How does this differ to the past? Just the area knowlege test or is their more?

The old Garda based system will be done away with from July 1st, yes. The new procedure is listed here and to be fair, it's well laid out here. Interesting to notice that the cost of a PSV has now shot up which should slow up applicants from those who see it as pocket money or a nixer type job. I am not too impressed at the sound of a mere 36 locally based questions on the test; unless there is a bank of thousands of questions that are quite stiff, it may be piecemeal.

http://www.spsvtest.ie/getting_licensed/steps-to-licensing/

http://www.spsvtest.ie/faqs/

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I e-mailed her about the protests when that started and she told me about the test then, I would assume other people knew too.

The word on the rank over the last year was that these tests were coming in soon but there was no indication as to when; not too many knew that it was a computer based test as it wasn't heralded too much.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The old Garda based system will be done away with from July 1st, yes.
    What was the old Garda based system? In the country it was an interview, but in Dublin (all cities?) there wasis already a gepgraphic test? So applicants until the July 1st do the old test and then have to do the new test again before December? :confused:

Did I not read somewhere recently that the PSV badge element is also going up from €3 to €250 or something? What's this about?

Hamndegger wrote: »
    not too many knew that it was a computer based test as it wasn't heralded too much.
    Betcha it's the e-voting machines converted

Betcha it's the e-voting machines converted
    Computer: "What is the shortest route from Dublin Airport arrivals to the Shelbourne Hotel?"
    Candidate: "Erm, that depends bud...are ya local?"
    Computer: "You have selected: Fianna Fail, 1,2,3. Thank you for voting Fianna Fail"
    Candidate: "eh, wha?"

What was the old Garda based system? In the country it was an interview, but in Dublin (all cities?) there wasis already a gepgraphic test? So applicants until the July 1st do the old test and then have to do the new test again before December? :confused:

Did I not read somewhere recently that the PSV badge element is also going up from €3 to €250 or something? What's this about?

To me, it seems pretty much akin to the Driver Test situation whereby you need the Theory Test before you attain the licence process; this new test will be required prior to the paperwork being handled for your PSV itself with the 36 local questions being unique to each local area and the other questions making the licence more standard than it was. The PSV licence end of it will now be €250 and to some extent it may deter those getting one as a "back up". Obviously some drivers will be passed out under the old system; this being an application to a Garda station, vetting of references, tax clearance and criminal records, testing and issuing of results.

Get you. At first it just seemed a bit all over the show. Are the older drivers not already supplying references, Garda checks and Tax Clearance certs as it stands?

Get you. At first it just seemed a bit all over the show. Are the older drivers not already supplying references, Garda checks and Tax Clearance certs as it stands?

That is a good question that I am not sure of.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

murphaph wrote: »
    Hopefully the start of an in-depth knowledge of London style test that will put the cowboys (including the ones with 16 years experience) off the road.

Be under no illusions this new test will be no where near the London style knowledge test. 90 Multiple choice questions is a joke tbh. This in no way goes far enough to run out the cowboys and only allow in those with the required knowledge.

I have no problem sitting this test, other professions re-train so why shouldnt we, and to be fair there will be no cost for existing drivers (assuming they pass first time).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Be under no illusions this new test will be no where near the London style knowledge test. 90 Multiple choice questions is a joke tbh. This in no way goes far enough to run out the cowboys and only allow in those with the required knowledge.

I have no problem sitting this test, other professions re-train so why shouldnt we, and to be fair there will be no cost for existing drivers (assuming they pass first time).

Existing PSV drivers DO NOT have to sit the area knowledge test! I wish they did - they're are soooo many drivers who haven't a clue where they are going... :( Existing drivers only do the rules & regulations section of the test for which there is a charge - SPSV skills assessment – €85.05 + licence renewal €250

The full charges for NEW Drivers:-
    Manual €30
    SPSV skills assessment – €85.05
    SPSV area knowledge test - €85.05
    SPSV ID Validation - €30.38
    Licence €250

I don't have a problem with the tests - long overdue!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

amtaxi wrote: »
    Existing PSV drivers DO NOT have to sit the area knowledge test! I wish they did - they're are soooo many drivers who haven't a clue where they are going... :( Existing drivers only do the rules & regulations section of the test for which there is a charge - SPSV skills assessment – €85.05 + licence renewal €250

The full charges for NEW Drivers:-
    Manual €30
    SPSV skills assessment – €85.05
    SPSV area knowledge test - €85.05
    SPSV ID Validation - €30.38
    Licence €250

I don't have a problem with the tests - long overdue!:D

According to Kathleen herself talking on The Last Word on Monday, the first test is free for existing drivers.

I think its terrible existing drivers dont have to do the area knowledge section. The regulator made the point they need for upskilling due to changes in regulations, but does she not realise that areas change and grow and new traffic measures come into play which can vastly change routes you may have to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

An interesting thought when/if drivers renew their licenses and fail....

Is the Social Welfare going to allow them to sign on? At the moment, being self employed, if you leave the job you are entitled to no SW assistance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 khanna10

hello is there anyone or anywhere on the forum that can help me with the questions that are in the skills development test thanks very much

khanna10 wrote: »
    hello is there anyone or anywhere on the forum that can help me with the questions that are in the skills development test thanks very much

Do you mean help you cheat with answers?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you need help passing the test, you probably shouldn't be driving a taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Turn on your GPS perhaps ? You do know the way from Rathmines to Ringsend d'ont you ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have had guys who can't even manage the GPS.
    On a few occasions I have been asked to put in the location for them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I take Ringsend to Rathmines and back a lot:

Have ended up at St.Stephen's Green. Told him to buy a map. Said he was going to call the police. I said the carriage office you mean.

Had to direct a bird down once. She said it was her first day.

Another guy said he does not normally do the southside.

Nowadays I just get out of the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭Trampas

should include clean and dress code

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »

Nowadays I just get out of the taxi.

That would be my advice to anybody if you get into a taxi and they don't know how to find the part of Dublin that you are going to. It's one thing not to know the back lanes but basics like the better known areas or landmarks is a disgrace and you as a punter should deal with it with your feet.

Advertisement