Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever won any big money off Scratchcards

• 19-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I love doing those €1 and €2 euro scratch cards like the All Cash ones.

I've never won anything more then a €5 or €10 euro though.

Have any of you actually won any considerable cash of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I usually win another scratch card and then win nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I won 25, threw a few scratch cards into my uncles birthday card and he won 50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I once won a free scratchcard, so i got one. Scratched that one to reveal that I'd won ANOTHER free scratchcard.:eek:

This scratchcard won me me nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

£10,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

These threads come up all the time. I belive the Irish national lottery are the hungriest bunch of chancers I've ever encountered. Has there ever been an audit done on the company to prove or disprove their claims of how much money they give away. Nobody ever seems to win on those scratch cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Steven81

2 euro if i am lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I got a few as presents for my 21st. Got €100 in an All Cash and €50 in a Winning Streak. There were a couple of €10s and € 2 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

€5,000. Bought 10,000 scratchcards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

House always wins, scratch card winnings are crumbs off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Not that someone would necessarily come back to the shop if they won a top prize, but I never saw more than €100 in ten years when I worked in a Lotto agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

€5,000. Bought 10,000 scratchcards. :D

There's 50c scratchcards now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

€50 on a €1 scratch card was my biggest win

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Even a 100 quid would be nice, to be honest.

I never really sink a lot of money in them, usually get 2 or 4 and just keep going till its gone.

Just realised though ive never met anyone who's ever even made 25 of one

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I was watching Winning Streak one night and one of the contestants had previously won €10,000 on one. Derek Mooneys reaction? "Jaysus, I never heard of anyone winning that amount on a scratchcard!" Great way of promoting the brand there Mooney.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Tree fiddy

spankysue wrote: »
    I was watching Winning Streak one night and one of the contestants had previously won €10,000 on one. Derek Mooneys reaction? "Jaysus, I never heard of anyone winning that amount on a scratchcard!" Great way of promoting the brand there Mooney.....:p

They won €10,000 and got on the show??

Thats some supernatural luck right there

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

I won €100 on a Cluedo scratch card last summer. Never won more than €5 ever before then.

Many years ago a relation of mine narrowly missed out on winning £10,000 on a scratchcard.
    I say narrowly because the very next one bought in the shop had the prize in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

There's 50c scratchcards now?

:o That's embarrassing I multiplied when I was supposed to divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

They won €10,000 and got on the show??

Thats some supernatural luck right there

I know, the jammy fecker....

I won €100 on a Cluedo scratch card last summer. Never won more than €5 ever before then.

Many years ago a relation of mine narrowly missed out on winning £10,000 on a scratchcard.
    I say narrowly because the very next one bought in the shop had the prize in it.

I was sure you were going to say it was narrow because he had already scratched two €10,000's and only had one more corner to scratch! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

this guy in galway that hardly ever gambles got given one of those big money game ones. got on the show. knowing him i was watching....the amount of money there get from that show is unbelievable. he won top prize a cool 267000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Almost as lucky as this guy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

my mother won a load on the scratchcards in the 1980's and one in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Instant 3 was the real deal, after that it became a scam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

theres very few slim pickings in between youre nearly better off doing the euromillions at your chances of winning the 100,000

VEN wrote: »
    Instant 3 was the real deal, after that it became a scam.
    They still have instant 3! Won a fiver of one today!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

They still have instant 3! Won a fiver of one today!

ah i just checked that, jayzuz 1987!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Two things to say.

1. Buying scratch cards and thinking you might make a profit is evidence of a fundamental lack of understanding of odds. Anyone who claims to have made a profit is either a liar our an outlier.

2. I understand that people enjoy that bit where they've bought the ticket and the ticket might actually be worth a few grand and that's why they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

€5 euro should be deemed a considerable amount to win these days ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Not that someone would necessarily come back to the shop if they won a top prize, but I never saw more than €100 in ten years when I worked in a Lotto agent.

That's probably the best statement required to make people see the futility of buying scratch cards.

Ta.:)

Advertisement