Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating over 40

• 18-02-2012 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

and not over 40 people at the same time...although...

Anyway. Anyone dating? What's it like? Am considering online dating but going by a thread in another forum (youngsters! bah!) it may be full of hidden snags and codes. Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Go for it Julius! Over 40 is young as is over 50. And over 60. Lots and lots of single, seperated, widowed and divorced out there ......... and most of them like hugs etc. Before leaving Ireland I knew quite a few people of that age that were seeing someone and over here it's all the rage.
    A few years ago, two people I know from LA - both partners dead - got married and honeymooned in Europe. The called to our place in Dublin for a couple of nights on their way home. He then was 83, she was 80 (and almost blind). Exceptional of course but it goes to show you how two people who like each other's company hook up. Incidentaly all their children and grand children were for it. Sooooooo Julius ........... there's someone out there that often thinks of you and would love to be with you. You go gal! :)

Today is my birthday WeyHey! Going to see the stage version of The Wizard of Oz tonight, then a bite and a few gargles. 63 years young and flying it. :D

For JC and all the single folk out there:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

and not over 40 people at the same time...although...

Anyway. Anyone dating? What's it like? Am considering online dating but going by a thread in another forum (youngsters! bah!) it may be full of hidden snags and codes. Advice?

I am not dating myself just now, but I see no reason for you not giving it a go. You have nothing to lose and perhaps a lot to gain. Just be careful on giving out too much info, and if you meet up. Meet up in a public place. Other than that I wish you all the luck in the world mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Anyone tried it? What's the etiquette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Dunno, and don't wanna know. However, just a warning, remember what happened to Paul McCartney! BUT, you could find happiness too as Maria Del Rosario Cayetana Fitz James-Stuart did! Check out http://news.yahoo.com/rich-spanish-duchess-weds-third-time-age-85-124341285.html

Take it easy, and good luck JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

JC did it for two years (internet dating)
    my friends have implored me to write a book on my experiences!
    not for the faint hearted, you feel like a bit of meat on a shelf and the men in my experience even though they are in their 40s wanted younger women!

It made me very cynical so i stopped doing it...

Give it a go if you are not too delicate of heart.. whilst i wouldnt do it again i was glad i had the experience (hope that makes sense)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    just a warning, remember what happened to Paul McCartney!

Yeah, well, I'm not rich! Goldiggers would be very disappointed!
    Take it easy, and good luck JC.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I did internet dating for about a year, and similar to another poster, my pals keep telling me to write a book about it!

It was my first experience of dating in years and I was very disillusioned after it I have to admit. I have heard people having great experiences, and marrying their life long partners from it, but the men I met (apart from one) and the men I was in contact with, were pretty much all the same:(.

Give it a shot though - you have nothing to lose - but without trying to be too much of a cynic, don't believe everything you read;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Southern Hero

Any women in their 40s into dating guys in their 20s or is that a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, I think the idea is that they would be looking for grown-ups.

• Advertisement

I just asked HSH about people she knows that dated and hooked up for at least one year. Seems 70% - 30% ....... the latter being the unsuccessful and eventually going their own way. Personally, I know of two couples that met on the net and they both seem to be doing OK. One of them was from Ireland, met his soul mate on here about 7 years ago and now lives in NY. They are in their 50s so have no kids. The other pair are doing IVF due to some minor problem so are obviously committed.
    I don't really see how it can be any more fraught than meeting someone in a pub/festival/dance/holiday. Go for it. The world is full of people who have different needs/priorities. Don't get offended if someone tries to get you in the sack on the first date ........... have you ever seen a single fella refuse a bit of slap 'n tickle? State your parameters ......... this can be done in a nice friendly way. And if the guy is still interested ....... well!
    I'd approach it all in a very positive way. You'd take the normal precautions as you would in doing anything. But most men are not perfect (excluding moi :D) so ideals may have to be watered down a little. However, best of luck and I really mean it.:)

To be honest if they are using this site they can not be so blind as to need zit braille to know which end needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I meet my second husband on a dating site when i was 45, I was in my 40s when I tried Internet dating... its not for the faint hearted!! but why not try it and see how you get on, as someone said to me nobody is going to knock on your door and say I'm here to take you out.

Among the things that amused me were the men who were only looking for commitment free sex. I asks one of them about it and he said if I get in touch with enough women one of them is bound to say yes!, Then there were the ones who were lying about there age!, That appeared to be about not accepting ageing along with being down right delusional about them selves.

On the otherhand I met lots of great men, and ended up marring someone wonderful.

Is there anything more calculated to make you feel like a teenager than trying to guess how many days he'll take to phone you, after saying he'd like to meet up again?

(Personal answer: I'm not a teenager. If he doesn't phone within a week, I'll phone him. If he's changed his mind or met someone else, he should have had the courtesy to let me know! He's not a teen, either!)

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

mariaalice wrote: »
    I meet my second husband on a dating site when i was 45, I was in my 40s when I tried Internet dating... its not for the faint hearted!! but why not try it and see how you get on, as someone said to me nobody is going to knock on your door and say I'm here to take you out.

Among the things that amused me were the men who were only looking for commitment free sex. I asks one of them about it and he said if I get in touch with enough women one of them is bound to say yes!, Then there were the ones who were lying about there age!, That appeared to be about not accepting ageing along with being down right delusional about them selves.

On the other I met lots of great men and ended up marring someone wonderful.

Er, I guess that's not really what you meant? Or did you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

You have got me giving it serious consideration now JC. Have been prompted of late to aim for better than coasting through what time I have ,so why not?

@Spread,
    The track that John Peel always championed as his favourite comes to mind -
    "Teenage Kicks" by The Undertones. Capturing one of life's highs so succinctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would never mar anyone I am far too gentle:D

JC why not get in touch and ask him if he is interested in meeting up.. the whole thing is a bit of mind field so you are better off being upfront from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Wonder what the chances are that an O and an O would meet up on a dating site and not know that each other is an O and an O?

mariaalice wrote: »
    JC why not get in touch and ask him if he is interested in meeting up.. the whole thing is a bit of mind field so you are better off being upfront from the get go.

I did. No reply. It'd be good to get a definite answer, even if it's negative. It's just plain cowardly to not say "actually I've changed my mind" "actually I've met someone else" or whatever.
    Wonder what the chances are that an O and an O would meet up on a dating site and not know that each other is an O and an O?

If it's one of you lot, I'm NOT HAPPY!

But having said that, I've moved on. Two more dates lined up. :-)

PS I've met Old Goat - looks just like himself! At a Burlesque Social Club evening, which is really the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Im a regular poster on the online dating thread so they aren't all youngsters on it! :D
    Been online dating for quite a while. Single at the mo but theres always fresh meat signing up! :P:D

• Advertisement

What online dating thread, Dovies? Any experiences you wouldn't mind sharing here? (Are you M or F?)

Apologies - assumed this was the thread you were referring to in your first post!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056478598

Im f!

I did try internet dating many years ago. Had some nice encounters, and some not so nice.

I no longer do it as I don't think it is for me really. But there are some nice happy endings out there.

Not sure it is a bad thing to try if you are on your own. BUT you really do need to exercise some caution. NEVER believe anything you are told online until you know for certain it is true.

And always be careful with information you give out. One girl I met had a good idea when she met me for the first time, she turned up with a couple she knew and we made up a foursome in a public place. She felt safe, and we had an enjoyable first date. And being in a public place ( a popular watering hole) I too felt safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Has anyone tried online dating while unemployed? Like everyone who's unemployed I'm doing everything to find work so the meantime I'm a volunteer teacher at Castlebar's Family Resource Centre (basic computer skills).

Oh and I'll be 43 on the 3rd March. I had a look on google but all the results were negative about unemployed.

Galen wrote: »
    Has anyone tried online dating while unemployed? Like everyone who's unemployed I'm doing everything to find work so the meantime I'm a volunteer teacher at Castlebar's Family Resource Centre (basic computer skills).

Google is not your friend when it comes to opinions!! There are lots of people on dating sites who are unemployed. The general consensus of opinion is that as long as you are looking for work etc then it isn't a problem. Its the ones who make it a lifelong ambition that don't get far. Now I get this info from reading the forums on the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Met my bf online... two years later we are still together...

He's my lobster... <3

But I had to kiss a fair few cyberfrogs to find him!

Thanks Dovies, I feel a lot better now that I'm not doomed to one of those old men propped up against the local bar :-D

Go for it Galen. You don't have to meet up after the first exchange of eMails ........... getting top know each other's sense of humour that way could be fun. A recent photo would trim down the applications :).
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

I joined one for the first time about 2 months ago. You definitely get a variety of messages. A lot of messers and younger men looking for one thing only but you can ignore them or just subtly (or not so subtly;)) tell them where to go:).
    On the other hand I have messaged some men who I would now consider as friends and 1 or 2 which have progressed further. You can take things slowly but then might lose out to someone else. Its a chance you have to take.
    As other posters have said just be very careful not to give too much details on line and arrange to meet in busy areas - preferable ones that the woman knows in my opinion. Good luck to those who are thinking of trying.

• Advertisement

Hi rebelwoman, your response reminded me to get off my arse and get on with online dating lark. I'd put it off because of other distractions - most due my own carelessness :-D and computer breakdowns. So thanks.

Advertisement