Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week in the Local Papers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy Guardian: St.Aidans school in Enniscorthy to triple in size..............now if they could only sort out the parking in the area.

4861edaf-2209-4d47_1019065t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

vicwatson wrote: »
    They are already out in the shops - Gold Bag ! They are handmade crisps and are retailing at 0.95 cent per bag :eek: nice though ;)

Looking forward to getting a bag of them now just to see what they're like. Although then again, cheese and onion is cheese and onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

More good news in the NR Standard ( page 30 ) :

quote : All the land necessary for the long-awaited bypasses in New Ross and Enniscorthy will be acquired this year .
    WCC are well on target to conclude the land deals after receiveing more finance from the NRA - .unquote

Hopefully job complete by 2020 !:D

More good news in the NR Standard ( page 30 ) :

quote : All the land necessary for the long-awaited bypasses in New Ross and Enniscorthy will be acquired this year .
    WCC are well on target to conclude the land deals after receiveing more finance from the NRA - .unquote

Hopefully job complete by 2020 !:D

.......how did I miss that? :o

Tuesday 21st February - massive 5 hour demonstration against the Household Charge outside Tholsel..............Councillors and Politicians jeered and heckled leaving Council Chambers .

It looks like they are going to use CCTV footage to bring some of the peaceful protestors to court !

Address :
    New Ross Courthouse , Ardcavan , Wexford .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

73710fb6-a807-49fd_1020053t.jpg

Those Gardai have done a fine job with this case........see how neatly they've lined up all those drinks.

Perhaps that's why they haven't had the time to catch some real criminals.:mad:

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/overwhelming-evidence-as-man-found-guilty-of-running-shebeen-3028481.html

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Losing 28 staff to retirement

WEXFORD County Council is losing 28 staff on early retirement but services will be maintained, the County Manager Eddie Breen has vowed.

'It would be foolish to say you can lose these people and they won't be missed.

'Of course, they will be missed,' the manager told Cllr Malcolm Byrne at a council meeting.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/losing-28-staff-to-retirement-3028404.html

I'm sure we'll get over it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Enniscorthy Guardian 28th February contained little of interest.

New Dad jailed for gun in gym bag - on the Promenade in Enniscorthy. :rolleyes:

400 protesters march against taxes.

A really famous visitor - the Heineken Cup was on tour and called in to Riverchapel NS last week. Enjoy it while you can as it will be going home to Munster shortly. :D

Castle to host ICA exhibition to be attended by Govt.Chief Whip - Paul Kehoe - a notable old woman IMO. Wine and Cheese reception on Friday 2nd March - protesters please note! Despite the ICA being founded by a close family relation I will be passing on this one unless I turn up to boo Paulie.

Anyway that's all the news - save for a goat having a record five kids at the Secret Valley Adventure Farm last Friday - I kid you not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Corvo

patff wrote: »
    73710fb6-a807-49fd_1020053t.jpg

Those Gardai have done a fine job with this case........see how neatly they've lined up all those drinks.

Perhaps that's why they haven't had the time to catch some real criminals.:mad:

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/overwhelming-evidence-as-man-found-guilty-of-running-shebeen-3028481.html

FFS, you would swear they were making their communion the way they are standing there. Useless gits.

Front Page:
    Garda Probe after protesters disrupt council meeting.
    This is the aftermath of the protests against the new Government charges at NRTC's meeting last Tuesday night.

Works on Quay from the Dunbrody to O'Hanrahan Bridge are due to start in March and will last for 6 months. This includes road resurfacing and the new quayside plan.

Inside:
    A hay barn blaze outside Gorey took 24 hours to put out starting last Monday afternoon.

Councillor Anthony Connick reckons a traffic warden in NR needs to back off. Numerous complaints have been made by the public concerning the ammount of fines being issued. Cllr. John Dwyer wants a 'comprehensive report' to be completed on the issue.

NRTC Council Report:
    Workmans' Club looks for Council Assistance and help with financing a 20,000 euro buyout of their premises in Mary St. A letter of approval is needed from the council for NR Credit Union.

Creywell (College Rd) due to reopen in April at last.

Works on the clock tower over the Tholsel are going well with a new clock face and repairs and installation of bells inside the mechanism.

Cllr. Kevin Dwyer, who is currently working in Australia due to lack of work here, has gotten approval from NRTC to keep his council seat for 1 year; after a vote was taken.

An investigation into the Albatros site is due to get underway after it was announced to be in line to be put onto the Derelict Sites Register.

Lastly there is a two page spread on places for school tours in the area; and another two page spread on The People of the Year Awards.

Ledger Out!

• Advertisement

Garda Probe after protesters disrupt council meeting.
    They were called 'professional agitators '
    Works on Quay from the Dunbrody to O'Hanrahan Bridge are due to start in March and will last for 6 months
    Hey Ledger .. Put a reminder in your calendar for a celebration party on 30th September .( 2 chances of completion in 6 months )
    Creywell (College Rd) due to reopen in April
    April in what year ?
    Works on the clock tower over the Tholsel are going well with a new clock face and repairs and installation of bells inside the mechanism
    And the total cost to the taxpayer is €€,€€€€
    Cllr. Kevin Dwyer, who is currently working in Australia due to lack of work here, has gotten approval from NRTC to keep his council seat for 1 year
    Unbelievable .......I heard he is going on Skype to attend Council meetings
    An investigation into the Albatros site is due to get underway after it was announced to be in line to be put onto the Derelict Sites Register
    Full of hazardous materials ... will be derelict forever
    school tours in the area
    New Ross area needs a massive cash injection ..........Go visit JFK Aboreteum - Dunbrody Centre - Hook Lighthouse - Secret Valley Adventure Farm .

They were called 'professional agitators'

I saw that yeah.
    Hey Ledger .. Put a reminder in your calendar for a celebration party on 30th September .( 2 chances of completion in 6 months )

It must be some good job if it would take 6 months. Jesus H Christ.
    April in what year ?

I'll guess May 2012.
    And the total cost to the taxpayer is €€,€€€€

Did anyone complain that the clock wasn't working? I doubt it.
    Unbelievable .......I heard he is going on Skype to attend Council meetings

Kevin is my cousin's partner, and I have great time for him. I know he's not here and it isn't really the greatest set up, but at least he's making the effort to still have an input and is doing his bit for the town.
    Full of hazardous materials ... will be derelict forever.

I know, nobody is going to spend millions to dig up 20 feet of the earth to clear the site, certainly not Timac. I would nearly feel sorry for them, thinking they would make a profit by developing the site. They must have known what they were getting themselves in for. We'll be stuck with this for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Ledger wrote: »
    Front Page:

Cllr. Kevin Dwyer, who is currently working in Australia due to lack of work here, has gotten approval from NRTC to keep his council seat for 1 year; after a vote was taken.

That sounds like one bizarre setup. How long has it been going on?

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Front Page:

That sounds like one bizarre setup. How long has it been going on?

Last September if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Front Page:

Doesn't sound like a great set up if you ask me. Will he be participating in "skype" meetings at night time possibly after a hard days work and will he be getting paid for this absent participation?

In this weeks Echo, in the article on protestors outside Paul kehoe's office (quoting dirctly from the paper) "Minister Paul Kehoe said he had no problem with people protesting but argued that many of those out on the streets were exempt from the charge as they would have been living in local authority housing.
    What an arrogant thing to say. So he is able to read peoples situation now just by looking out the window? Why did he feel it necessary to stick that line in. I tell ya one thing, he'll get no sympathy from this town in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

This Cllr Kevin Dwyer situation - does this mean he will still be entitled to his 20K or whatever salary they receive? I know nothing about the man, have nothing against him personally and accept Ledger's comment but how can he do the same work as a councillor from 8,000km away? Even Skype is not all that encompassing.

Will he get travel expenses from Aus to council meetings in New Ross? :rolleyes:

Mongarra wrote: »
    This Cllr Kevin Dwyer situation - does this mean he will still be entitled to his 20K or whatever salary they receive? I know nothing about the man, have nothing against him personally and accept Ledger's comment but how can he do the same work as a councillor from 8,000km away? Even Skype is not all that encompassing.

I agree it's a bad situation, but it's the best of a bad situation.

I don't know how they're going to do it.

20K? Jesus, if he is getting that on top of what ever he is earning in Oz then there's something very very wrong here and if he plans to stay there after the year then he should give up his seat.

Ian7 wrote: »
    20K? Jesus, if he is getting that on top of what ever he is earning in Oz then there's something very very wrong here and if he plans to stay there after the year then he should give up his seat.

He will have to. He won't have a choice. The council have only given him 1 year back-dated to last September if I'm right.

• Advertisement

Just wondering, in case I break any new (ridiculous) laws.

Will the new SI on copyright have any affect on this thread?

Just want to know before I post my next instalment on Tuesday night.

Perhaps Scaller may be able to shed light on it for me. Thanks :)

I reckon you can continue with the local newspaper gossip :

1) we will no longer be allowing links to streams of copyrighted or licenced content such as sports events. Youtube videos are not affected as YouTube has revenue sharing arrangements in place with copyright holders and they monitor these things themselves.

2) copy and pasting a full piece of an article from a newspaper or blog etc will not be allowed. You may copy a paragraph of the piece and must provide a link to the source under what we hope will be seen as a common sense and fair use approach.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056565895

More doom, gloom and depression I'm afraid. :(

Guardian%2B002.JPG

Elsewhere

- Weekend Turmoil in Drumgoold - breakdown in law and order.

- Confidential files left in hospital corridor - story about Xray files left lying about for all to peruse at Wexford General.

- Councillor's heated Liveline appearance - story about Enniscorthy councillor Paddy Kavanagh complaining about Travellers.

A good news story.
    - Public to get access to Loftus Hall this summer - the sub editor would have you believe that the house was open to the public - but no, it's only the grounds.

That's more than enough - buy the damn paper if you want more.

Breath in slowly, hold and exhale slowly........

More doom, gloom and depression I'm afraid. :(

Elsewhere

- Weekend Turmoil in Drumgoold - breakdown in law and order.

- Councillor's heated Liveline appearance - story about Enniscorthy councillor Paddy Kavanagh complaining about Travellers.

Paddy Kavanagh......travellers,rabble rabble,blah blah blah! All it is in Drumgoold is a few young lads in vans showing off at the weekends,it seems the man is on a crusade against them up there.Lot's of settled people who are causing more trouble at that side of the town than travellers.

They'll have fun wrecking this:
    MUGA – the initials stand for multi-user games area. Councillors looked forward last week to putting a MUGA into the Gimont Avenue/ Cluain Dara estate in Enniscorthy while the Ross Road will have to do without.

The Fair Green-style facility, with basketball hoops and soccer goals, will be put beside the existing children's playground. The money will come from the funds set aside for the RAPID programme in the expectation that it would attract matching funding from the Government.

The last time a playground/sports area was built,it was destroyed by vandals.

- Public to get access to Loftus Hall this summer - the sub editor would have you believe that the house was open to the public - but no, it's only the grounds.

The mansion/house is also going to be open to the public but in stages , over the coming months .

He be brave man though that ventures in there .............and this poster aint one of them ! .

zerks wrote: »
    Paddy Kavanagh......travellers,rabble rabble,blah blah blah! All it is in Drumgoold is a few young lads in vans showing off at the weekends,it seems the man is on a crusade against them up there.Lot's of settled people who are causing more trouble at that side of the town than travellers.

Are you serious? I grew up in that area and it's almost unrecognisable now. The whole situation in Gimont/Drumgoold/Esmond Rd area is out of control and the authorities don't know what to do about it. Paddy Kavanagh may be wrong with how he is approaching the situation but he seems to be the only one being vocal about it. Take a spin up there if you don't believe whats actually going on. It's not just the lads in vans that are the problem. Planning laws are being completely ignored, sure you just have to look at the situation last year where yer man was digging into vinegar hill for his shed.

I'm from that side of the town myself and remember when the whole Drumgoold area was overrun with caravans,it's still not a pretty area but it's better than it was all those years ago even if it seems to be neglected by those in power in the town.

Significant piece on Cllr. Kevin Dwyer. In which he tells how he does not receive any council payments, and hasn't for about the last 2 years. This is because it has been deducted from his social welfare payments since being unemployed.

We also find out that Hook Lighthouse is to get a 150,000 euro redevelopment beginning in May and ending in November 2012.

The Kennedy Homestead is to also get an investment for developments.

That's it really for this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Don't tell me you've given up already lads. I need to know the latest in the Cllr Dwyer saga ;)

Advertisement