Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legality of RC Drones?

• 04-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    I thought this might be the best place to post this question. I was wondering does anyone know what the legal situation is in Ireland for flying remote control drones? Helicopters specifically :)

Are there any restrictions on their use? I see in LA, they were banned for commercial use (private use being ok), but that is being lifted soon.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

From what i know they still fall under the same legalities as rc planes check out the IAA website is your best bet.

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

andy_g wrote: »
    From what i know they still fall under the same legalities as rc planes check out the IAA website is your best bet.

Andy

I came across this order from the IAA (PDF link)

From this I presume they qualify as a 'small aircraft' (controllable, not weighing more than 20kg).

If so it says that they can't be flown without written permission of the IAA. Does this apply to all RC hobbyists/commercial practitioners? And is permission required once, or per flight?

This may be more suited in the models forum now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Agreed moved to Models forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Where it is controlled by commands from the ground, it is an RC model.
    MACI is the body which represents RC model aircraft users in Ireland.

Here is the MACI standard safety practice for RC model aircraft:
    http://maci.ie/safety/MACI-Safety-Code.pdf
    It does not cover large models specifically, and I understand that MACI have special requirements for those particular models which would be available on application..

There are also personal liability and insurance considerations which which should be weighed up before launching small aircraft over other people and their property. In general, it's leaving you open to all sorts of nasty outcomes, and just don't do it.

A drone is usually an aircraft which contains it's own autonomous control system, that is, it can fly without taking commands from the ground. I know several people have made them to fly indoors in a contained space.
    For outdoors use it would be a good idea to contact MACI with regard to such flying machines, as I suspect they are illegal under present laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the reply. These would be the types of devices I'm interested in. I didn't realise 'drone' specifically meant something that could fly without taking commands from the ground.

If the device was being flown over someones property with their permission, I presume there could be a disclaimer signed to waive accountability in case of damage etc? I certainly wouldn't send the thing on a tour around a town or anything like that anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Cianos wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. These would be the types of devices I'm interested in. I didn't realise 'drone' specifically meant something that could fly without taking commands from the ground.

If the device was being flown over someones property with their permission, I presume there could be a disclaimer signed to waive accountability in case of damage etc? I certainly wouldn't send the thing on a tour around a town or anything like that anyway!

What's that contraption called in the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

It's a RC hexacopter, and I believe that it's a 'go pro' camera mount with a standard DSLR camera fixed to it.

Loads of youtube videos of these up, some are fairly amazing.

Advertisement