Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ww1 records

• 29-10-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have my great grandfathers service records from ww1 but I am trying to find out where he fought in France does anyone know how I can find it out.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

You could try the WWI forum - Soc-Military-WWI

If you can't find the answer there someone may point you to the right place to look elsewhere on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tiramisu

Try the commonwealth war graves memorial site

www.cwgc.org

They have a searchable database

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There are codes on the service records which will indicate which theatre of war. You will need a military historian to tell you which parts of which country they mean. I can pm you the name of someone I've been in touch with if you want.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

aero1974 wrote: »
    I have my great grandfathers service records from ww1 but I am trying to find out where he fought in France does anyone know how I can find it out.

Thanks

post your question with an image if possible here Research A Soldier and somebody will help . i may be able to help you myself . if it has (1) on it it means he served in france , (2b) is Balkins (2a) Salonika (3) Egypt and it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The regimental histories would give you an indication of where his batallion fought.

In the British Army, regiments typically had county or regional affiliations (eg Northumberland Fusiliers, Hampshire Regiment, Essex Regiment etc) They were organised as batallions, which typically would operate completely independently of each other. Batallions are grouped into brigades and then divisions, corps and armies but these latter groupings are more fluid and can be broken up and reassembled as circumstances require.

In peace time, or in "normal" colonial situations, a regiment would usually have two batallions and these might be brigaded compeletely independently of each other. It was often the case that the first batallion of one regiment was situated in a garrison town somewhere in the British Isles while the second batallion of the same regiment was in Africa or India.

If you know what batallion your ancestor was in, it is quite easy to get a basic regimental history to let you know where that batallion was posted at what stage of the war. Even Wikipedia will give you some indications of where to start looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement