Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Hi all,finished my week 7 runs on Saturday and have to say the 25 Min runs really pushed me all the way.But then so did the 1 Min runs on W1d1 so it goes to show that c25k program is working.On Saturday in the 25 Min run I covered 2.7 miles just in the running part so hopefully next week in 28 Min's I should be close to my goal of 5k.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

I did it!!!!

I can't believe it, I finally ran 5k... what a feeling. Ok, so my time was poo (38 minutes) but that doesn't matter, the fact that I can now run that distance is just amazing.

Really looking forward to my first official 5k race now around the Docklands in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Popsy wrote: »
    I did it!!!!

I can't believe it, I finally ran 5k... what a feeling. Ok, so my time was poo (38 minutes) but that doesn't matter, the fact that I can now run that distance is just amazing.

Really looking forward to my first official 5k race now around the Docklands in 2 weeks.

Well done Popsy! Fair play to you, and best of luck in your race! I advise you to get yourself on another plan soon, just to keep things ticking over. Any one of these fine ART boardsies should be able to point you in the right direction. Hal Higdon's online plans are almost always recommended. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

Thanks Scriba. I've seen the Hal Higdon programme alright, but I think I'll work on building my stamina and time on the 5k for now. I'm sure once I get my first official 5k over and done with, I'll want to do more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Popsy wrote: »
    Thanks Scriba. I've seen the Hal Higdon programme alright, but I think I'll work on building my stamina and time on the 5k for now. I'm sure once I get my first official 5k over and done with, I'll want to do more :)

Can I suggest you Google 'One Hour Runner' in preference to Hal Higdons programs (all of which seem to involve 4-5 days running per week).
    Advantage of OHR is that you keep running 3 times a week, and the first 3 weeks are the same as Week 9 of C25K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Week 7 done. Felt really strong in todays session & probably had more in the tank.

Unfortunately now just as i was starting to make serious progress i've to go on a 3x12 hour night shift for few weeks & im not sure how its going to effect next weeks sessions, im thinking im going to try get a run in wednesday evening, friday & sunday. If i feel good im going to try for 3 30 minute sessions.

Anyone got any advice for progression once the program is done? I've read about increasing 10% every week but i've also read elsewhere that 10% every 2 weeks would be better on the body? I think id like to build up to being able to do 3 or 4 7 or 8k sessions a week.

Week 8 done yesterday,can't believe I got this far and only one week to go:D

Hopefully will be finished on Friday and then plan to start the bridge to 10 k plan on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Today i jumped to week 9 & ran 5k in 30m37s! It was really hard but im absolutely happy with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rolomammy

Hello all. I'm new to boards & to the c25k. Tomorrow I do week 2, day 2. I'm really enjoying it so far & have gotten a lot of tips from reading back along the thread. With 2 children under 2 making time for yourself isn't easy but I'm really motivated by seeing how my running is improving already!!! :)

I've done it!!!

Yesterday I finished the c25k plan and I feel so proud cause its something I never had the belief in myself that I could do it.

At the start of this year I used to weigh 15 stone,I now weigh 12 stone 7,I used to smoke about 30 cigs a day,I am now off them nearly 13 weeks,I couldn't run the length of me,Wednesday I ran 3.3 miles in 30 Min.

Last night was a bad night I just never felt right from the start and don't think I covered the same distanced as Wednesday.Felt a bit sick and still do,it was so hard not to stop.Can any body tell me when this running gets easy because it still feels hard to me:D.Maybe I'm pushing to hard.

So Monday I'm starting the bridge to10 k and I've entered a 5k on the 30th so I will post here for the last time after that and give what time I did it in.Big thanks to this thread and anybody thinking of doing the c25k just do it,it could change your life.

• Advertisement

Well, I've just finished w2d2. It felt fine, definitely not easy but there was no danger of stopping either. I'm DREADING week 3. I think i could maybe manage 2 minutes but I feel like 3 will be impossible. I'm hoping after day 3 of this week il feel more positive!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

any one done this on a treadmill..or would people advise against the tread mill

Rolomammy wrote: »
    Well, I've just finished w2d2. It felt fine, definitely not easy but there was no danger of stopping either. I'm DREADING week 3. I think i could maybe manage 2 minutes but I feel like 3 will be impossible. I'm hoping after day 3 of this week il feel more positive!!!

Every week you will have doubts about doing the next week,but every week you are getting fitter and you will be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hiya Folks,

Been lurking here and am going to start the C25K shortly. Some time ago I found a site that showed 5K routes, it showed loads in D16 on a google map. I have been searching through boards and google but no joy. I'd appreciate some if anyone could help.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mapmyrun.com shows routes that other runners have uploaded in different locations

But you don't need to find a 5k route, it'll be a couple of months before you cover that distance. Just find a park where you can run the times. dublin 16 you could run in Marlay Park or, better yet, join this training group that starts next week

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

W4D3, done. Halfway. I've stuck to having just one rest day between sessions. As tenreds says, constant doubts. Hardest has been the last week, going from 3-4-5min runs on subsequent days... have found that quite a ramp if I'm honest.

Today I missed the first "slow down" which threw me, and ended up running for what felt like a fortnight. Didn't help that I'd chosen a route that took me uphill early on. Turned out I was running for just 4 mins instead of the planned 3. Amazing how 4 minutes can feel like enough time to write a novel, watch the changing of the seasons, witness the extinction of life on Earth, and still have time for tea and biscuits.

Still waiting for "the moment" to happen where I feel I can run further and ignore the voice in my headphones telling me to slow down and walk. At the moment, she can't interrupt my music soon enough :)

Still, halfway. That's half more than I thought I'd do. Onwards and, preferably, down-hill-wards (or at least on the flat) from now on!

Thanks tenreds. Your dead right. I started week 3 on Friday and it went very well. Day 2 tonight. I'm looking forward to it already!

Anyone got any advise about running in their first 5k race,the nerves are starting to get to me thinking of running with all these real runners.Not sure about things like what time I should eat,and what I eat.Then what about doing a little warm up jog or just stretch or both and when just before or half an hour before race :confused:.The race is at 7 30 and I normally run in the morning time.The doubts are starting to creep in again:(

You'll be grand. The fact that you've run 5k in training will put you ahead of a fair number of people in a lot of road races. Don't eat in the hour before the race, 2 hours if you sometimes suffer from indigestion or stitches. Go for a practice run a couple of days before to see what works for you. A few minutes of very slow and easy jogging about 5/10 minutes before the race start should be enough of a warmup.

Thanks RayCun,
    Well I finished with c25k now as I ran my first race on Wednesday.I went for a practise run on Monday and ended up tripping myself on my shoe lases so nearly never got to starting line but no real harm done to me only to my pride :o

The race itself,well what can I say but what an experience I just loved it.I started right at the back and at the start found I was going to slow to many people in front for the first k.Then the crowd started to thin out a bit and I found myself passing people with ease.By the 3k mark I was going at a nice and steady pace and just focusing on passing the next person one at time.The last 500 meters the legs started to give and few people passed me near the line.The time I did was under 24 mins :eek: so really happy with that and having the family at the finishing line,well I felt so proud.Can't wait for my next race but legs really sore today so I'll take easy for a day or two.

Thanks c25k and goodbye :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I'm going to start the C25K today. I'm feeling somewhat unfit at the moment, but really looking forward to charting my progress over the coming weeks.
    Does anyone have any pointers that might be helpful?

@girlonfire: quite simply - do it :) I've been getting through it using the "10k runner" app on the iPhone (don't look shocked - it starts the same as the 5k plan and I'm on week 7 of 8 on the way to 5k).

Take the runs easy - depending on your current level of fitness you may find breathing the hardest (I do) or the strength in your legs going quicker than you'd like, but the plan starts you off easy enough.

If you find any of the sections tough, just slow down a bit (try to ignore the voice in your head telling you "you can't do it" and convincing you to stop and walk early... because you CAN do it, and you'll feel so good with every run you complete.

I try to run every other day, and as soon as I've done a run I make sure to cool down and stretch using this vid...

...and I've kept any aches and pains at bay by sticking to this routine.

Also, share your progress here to help with the motivation (see my couple of posts earlier in this thread - seems so long ago I was only starting and I've just got in from a 20 min run - well, very slow jog! - as I type this).

Most importantly, have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Thanks a million for the encouragement. I'm feeling great now that I've started. I'll be taking all of your advice on board and thank you for the link. Much appreciated. I'll post back with a progress update :-)

What the hell, I'm going to throw my runners into the ring on this thread too. Started the C25k thing this week, today was W1D2.

8 weeks later, I finally ran jogged 5k last night. It's possible!

Delighted, obviously, and wanted to tell a few people who might understand (rather than people in the office who won't give a stuff), hence the self-congratulatory post. Please forgive me. Now, who wants cake and beer!?! :D

Also wanted to prove to anyone else considering it that yes, it is possible to get off your arse and run 5k within 2 months. I know, I didn't really believe anyone else when I was thinking about it either. So to anyone else reading this and thinking about it: just quit reading and start running!

Now, will I start a "training log"? What am I "training" for? It's great to have done 5k but.... now what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I tried Couch to 5k a few weeks ago and got bad knee pain. Apparently I was wearing the wrong type of shoes.

So I let myself heal up, ordered some proper running shoes and am giving it another go starting tomorrow!

Was enjoying it the first time around although I didn't get too far into the program. Looking forward to getting into it and improving because, right now, 5k is a LONG way off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I started the program this evening. Have to say, I really enjoyed it.
    I'm 30, 5ft8 and weigh 13st4 right now, down from 13st11 or so a few months ago. (not by outright dieting, but just cutting out chipper/Chinese and not being a glutton)
    I was never a distance runner, even in my youth. I did have an 11.1sec 100m time in my late teens and played rugby to a fairly competitive level till 18.
    I have been getting more and more embarrassed and pissed off at myself for getting so out of shape and I stumbled on this thread a few days ago. Reading it really has given me some motivation to do something about it.

Tonight's first run went well I thought. I used 2 apps. The C25K for the program and runkeeper just to see what distance I was covering.

Including the 5 min warmup and 5 min cool down and the 20 min program I covered 2.35miles.
    Anyone know if that's a decent pace? I felt myself that I was moving ok. I felt the burn on the last run so I think I paced it well.

Really looking forward to the next one.

Don't worry about your speed, just do the time

So I delayed my return to Couch to 5k til today in order to structure a proper weekly programe.

My God, it was worse than before! I hated every minute of it. It was so tough and the humid heat didn't help at all!

But screw it, it has to be done! Looking forward to progressing (Hopefully I can :) )

Did Week 1 Day 2 today.

Significantly easier but still pretty terrible. The heat didn't help either!

Even today, I have no idea how I am going to be able for 90 secs next week, but we'll see when it comes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did Week 1 Day 2 today.

Significantly easier but still pretty terrible. The heat didn't help either!

Even today, I have no idea how I am going to be able for 90 secs next week, but we'll see when it comes :)

I did week 1 day 2 last night and found it much harder going than day 1. Especially the first half. I felt quite stiff but much better today (the day after) than I did the day after the first.
    I did about 45 mins of indoor football tonight though and now I'm stiff as a board.

Advertisement