Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Annoying Lost Character

• 20-03-2007 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Lets hear who you think is the most annoying person on the show?

Maybe it is because you think he/she has done nothing to contribute to the show or hasnt helped out at all, or maybe you feel that they have done too much interfering (Jack) or maybe you just dont like them or you think he/she is a crap actor.

Mine is definitely Jack, hope he goes soon.

Who is the most annoying Lost character? 127 votes

Jack
    0% 0 votes
    Kate
    30% 39 votes
    Sayid
    3% 4 votes
    Ben
    1% 2 votes
    Sawyer
    3% 4 votes
    Desmond
    0% 1 vote
    Hurley
    0% 1 vote
    Charlie
    2% 3 votes
    Locke
    32% 41 votes
    Danielle
    10% 13 votes
    Claire
    14% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

man1 wrote:
    Lets hear who you think is the most annoying person on the show?

Maybe it is because you think he/she has done nothing to contribute to the show or hasnt helped out at all, or maybe you feel that they have done too much interfering (Jack) or maybe you just dont like them or you think he/she is a crap actor.

Mine is definitely Jack, hope he goes soon.

No way i dont think any of them are annoying - They all make the show what it is - Brilliant! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Got to be Charlie...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Charlie used to be one of my favourite characters...but he can be a right annoying prick sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Definitely Jack. From day 1 he was a prat, but as the show has moved on he's become more of an a$$hole than a prat. His backstories are always boring and everything he says and does is stupid.

Locke has had a change in his character lately and he seems to have become somewhat of an idiot, which is rather strange. I hope they're going somewhere with it and it's not a permanent change.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Charlie is the reason Lost needs a BSG like airlock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think people dislike Jack simply because he is the (if not one of the) main character(s), and are growing tired of him and his frustrating antics. Charlie doesnt appear half as much and in my opinon is twice as annoying. Charlie for me followed by Jack and Sun in third

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I said Charlie, but purely on last season addiction, dont mind him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I voted for Charlie, he just does my head in.

I really don't understand all of this "anti-Jack". I think he is a great character. I mean he is one of the main characters, alot of people would have died without him and he IS a born leader. The losties look up to him all the time. He is smarter than most people think and i think he will come good in this season. Just give him a chance. If he were to go, it would leave a huge gap in LOST.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

My vote is for Jack. Such a preachy judgemental git. If they wanted people to like him then all they would have to do is stop people going on about how great he is and stop showing us 70 flashback episodes of him per season. I mean that last one about his tattoos. Worst Lost episode ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pduffy50

logik wrote:
    I voted for Charlie, he just does my head in.

I really don't understand all of this "anti-Jack". I think he is a great character. I mean he is one of the main characters, alot of people would have died without him and he IS a born leader. The losties look up to him all the time. He is smarter than most people think and i think he will come good in this season. Just give him a chance. If he were to go, it would leave a huge gap in LOST.

I agree, what is with all the anti-jack, Do you people even watch Lost !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I cant stand Claire or Charlie.
    Feel like turning off every time they appear on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Not in your poll, but for me it has to be the two "new" characters they are trying to shoehorn into the series. The guy and girl, whatever their names are.

Where the hell were they for two series?! Asleep in the jungle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jack by a mile
    but honourable mentions to charlie (hes a spa lately), claire (so utterly pointless), and kate

Man i just don't get it.... What is with all the hate for Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I didnt vote because mine is EKO thanks to bejeebus they killed him off. His flashback were always horrifically boring.

So everyone hates Jack, huh? Surely that touch down was one of the greatest moments in lost!!!??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pduffy50 wrote:
    I agree, what is with all the anti-jack, Do you people even watch Lost !!!
    Do you?

Whilst Charlie is probably outright more annoying minute-for-minute, it's Jack who wins out because of al the screentime he gets. As others have pointed out, he can be incredibly judgmental and he's nearly always convinced that his way is right.

He's a self-appointed leader too: I'm not sure on what grounds he decided that he was fit to lead the Losties but, re-watching a bit of 'S.O.S', I was completely in agreement with Bernard when he questioned Jack's leadership ability (he was mocked with only being a dentist himself which utterly failed to address Jack's qualificaitons). I don't ever recall him trying to compile a skills list of people who might have better knowledge than him. Or do they teach desert-island survival and people management skills in medical school?

Jack rarely seems to have good words for people and he's got trust issues that make it hard to warm to him. He often doesn't seem to hold himself accountable for his actions (although he's not as bad in this regard as Locke has become).

He also comes across as patronising and his martyr act is tiresome, especially with the way it ties in with his dull back stories that hammer home about faith.

He's been annoying the f*ck out of me, to different degrees, since his reaction to the hatch in early S2 and anytime I see a backstory by him, i'm tempted to hover over the FF button. Hopefully he's now reconditioned and actually likeable..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Claire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

ixoy wrote:
    Do you?

Whilst Charlie is probably outright more annoying minute-for-minute, it's Jack who wins out because of al the screentime he gets. As others have pointed out, he can be incredibly judgmental and he's nearly always convinced that his way is right.

He's a self-appointed leader too: I'm not sure on what grounds he decided that he was fit to lead the Losties but, re-watching a bit of 'S.O.S', I was completely in agreement with Bernard when he questioned Jack's leadership ability (he was mocked with only being a dentist himself which utterly failed to address Jack's qualificaitons). I don't ever recall him trying to compile a skills list of people who might have better knowledge than him. Or do they teach desert-island survival and people management skills in medical school?

Jack rarely seems to have good words for people and he's got trust issues that make it hard to warm to him. He often doesn't seem to hold himself accountable for his actions (although he's not as bad in this regard as Locke has become).

He also comes across as patronising and his martyr act is tiresome, especially with the way it ties in with his dull back stories that hammer home about faith.

He's been annoying the f*ck out of me, to different degrees, since his reaction to the hatch in early S2 and anytime I see a backstory by him, i'm tempted to hover over the FF button. Hopefully he's now reconditioned and actually likeable..

I can see why people find him annoying but pick any other character - give them as much screenplay and put the 'LEADER' badge on their shirt and you would find them just as annoying.

Considering the circumstances I think Jack has handled being a leader very well. And it's not like he's cocky about it. If you look hback on season 1 episodes he doesn't want to be the leader but Locke (and probably other characters too - can't remember) convinced him that they need him to be one.

Anyway, I agree that he has gotton kind of annoying but I still like him. He really cares about the other characters. But he is very single minded.

I think Charlie is the most annoying. The addiction storyline went on for too long - the overprotectiveness of Claire and Aaron (or is it Erin? :) ) is tiresome, and now the whole
    'Desmond is always going to have to save Charlie from dying' [/STORYLINE] storyline has begun and I can see it getting too stretched out.

I really liked him in season 1 as well...

Sun kind of annoys me too....is she still pregnant? But then again they're all annoying in their own way - especially the way they don't talk to each other or ask many questions etc. And Locke has just gone bizarro these past few episodes. Hopefully we'll get an episode centered round him next week (with a nice flashback) to inform us what the f3ck is going on in his mind!

(spoiler is from 3X10)

ixoy wrote:
    Do you?

He is not a self-appointed leader, the losties naturally looked up to Jack right from the word go. Jack does not have trust issues, he justs takes everything the others say as lies, and to be honest i would too. They are full of it. If you are a gullible person you will end up getting burnt and Jack knows this, if anything he has been trying to protect his fellow losties.

He gave his own life "so to speak" in order to get Sawyer/Kate off the Island and back to the other losties. He is not self centered, ffs he is a Surgeon a man who saves OTHER peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Most annoying charachter: (on boards.ie LOST board) man1 for all his polls and posts... Yeesh

• Advertisement

Kanney wrote:
    Most annoying charachter: (on boards.ie LOST board) man1 for all his polls and posts... Yeesh

God forbid a bit of discussion going on outside the episode threads...:rolleyes:

Kanney wrote:

Well to be honest this fourm needed to be livened up so i like the majority of his threads (not all). It has got us talking about other things than just the last and future eps.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

logik wrote:
    He is not a self-appointed leader, the losties naturally looked up to Jack right from the word go.
    Yes but why? It's also a complaint about the way the show is structured in that we find out nothing about the 30-odd other crash survivors. Have they no skills? Why doesn't Jack, the leader, ever ask them and see if they want to come on a mission?
    He gave his own life "so to speak" in order to get Sawyer/Kate off the Island and back to the other losties. He is not self centered, ffs he is a Surgeon a man who saves OTHER peoples lives.
    Sheesh, chill. Yes he has his oath, but he wasn't exactly rushing to save Ben's life either (yes, it was under duress but someone as high and noble as him...).

As to giving up his own life... Yes he seemed to do so for Kate but I was always puzzled as to why he told Kate to run as opposed to telling Kate for them [Kate and Sawyer] to run. In fact he didn't seem to do anything, in his radio transmission, to ascertain if Sawyer was okay to escape.

ixoy wrote:
    Yes but why? It's also a complaint about the way the show is structured in that we find out nothing about the 30-odd other crash survivors. Have they no skills? Why doesn't Jack, the leader, ever ask them and see if they want to come on a mission?

I know where you are saying but i mean come on. Can you imagine having to go over the back stories and silly eps to find out if other people have skills that could be used. It would be 20 seasons of LOST "and most people want answers soon". They have to stick to a core list of chars. Thats nearly how all dramas play out.
    Sheesh, chill. Yes he has his oath, but he wasn't exactly rushing to save Ben's life either (yes, it was under duress but someone as high and noble as him...).

Yes but Ben has already lied and he is the cause that Anna/Libby are dead. Tricking Michael into freeing Ben in order to see Walt again. Ben is a Other and Jack knows this. Why would you openly help an enemy?
    As to giving up his own life... Yes he seemed to do so for Kate but I was always puzzled as to why he told Kate to run as opposed to telling Kate for them [Kate and Sawyer] to run. In fact he didn't seem to do anything, in his radio transmission, to ascertain if Sawyer was okay to escape.

Its no secret that Jack and Sawyer never really got on well. And the fact that there are feelings other than friendship between Kate and Jack, its kinda clear why he would only care for Kate and not ask about Sawyer. Still Jack knew that Kate and Sawyer were together and still gave "his freedom" up so they could go free.

ixoy wrote:

You're being very harsh on Jack. What's great about his character is that it's 'real' and I'll tell you why.

You've crashed on an island and the leader of a mysterious group of inhabitants has just kidnapped you and two other survivors (one being very important to you). This is the same group that has savagely kidnapped children in their sleep, has blown up your only chance of escape that you have spent ages building and has taken a mans son right out of his hands. Would you be in a rush to save Ben? Honestly, it doesn't matter how much of a hero Jack is - it would still be understandable for Jack to let Ben die....but he didn't. Because that's how Jack is and that's why he's a great character. I suppose surgons have a natural knack for wanting to save lives no matter who it is.

EDIT - forgot to mention the second half of your post.

As to do with him not mentioning Sawyer, it is probably just a writers fault. If not, then it's totally understandable. I mean, this guy has just slept with the love of your life (maybe stretching it there, but we all know how much Jack likes Kate). That is still no excuse for him to be left with the Others but whose leaving him? Jack isn't. And he hardly needs to tell Kate not to forget to bring Sawyer with her!

You're being very harsh on Jack. What's great about his character is that it's 'real' and I'll tell you why.

You've crashed on an island and the leader of a mysterious group of inhabitants has just kidnapped you and two other survivors (one being very important to you). This is the same group that has savagely kidnapped children in their sleep, has blown up your only chance of escape that you have spent ages building and has taken a mans son right out of his hands. Would you be in a rush to save Ben? Honestly, it doesn't matter how much of a hero Jack is - it would still be understandable for Jack to let Ben die....but he didn't. Because that's how Jack is and that's why he's a great character. I suppose surgons have a natural knack for wanting to save lives no matter who it is.

Agree with you mate. One thing though Jack didn't save Bens life just because a surgeon likes to save lives. He did it because they were going to kill Sawyer if he didn't. Remember Kate came to beg Jack to help Ben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

It's got to be Rousseau. Every time she appears one gets the impression the writers wrote "ROUSSEAU = MYSTERIOUS" on a whiteboard, and then underlined it a few times. She is actually a rather pointless character, I'd say she'll probably get shot by others fairly soon. It never made much sense to me that a woman living alone in a shack for 16 years is still able to speak perfectly - in a language that's not even her mother tongue!

It's got to be Rousseau. Every time she appears one gets the impression the writers wrote "ROUSSEAU = MYSTERIOUS" on a whiteboard, and then underlined it a few times. She is actually a rather pointless character, I'd say she'll probably get shot by others fairly soon. It never made much sense to me that a woman living alone in a shack for 16 years is still able to speak perfectly - in a language that's not even her mother tongue!

Yeah she's quite annoying alright. Never actually thought about that though...maybe she was just very good at English!

You're dead right about the ROSSEAU=MYSTERIOUS. They're not giving anything away about her. What I would like is for her to open up a bit and talk to one of the Losties so we can maybe get a bit more info on her because there's definitely something that she is hiding. I don't exactly want a flashback on her or anything so I'm not really complaining. It's good to still have a mysterious character that we don't know anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

It's Jack and it's not even close for all the reason Ixoy gave above, add to that his flashbacks are so boring and there have been too many of them.
    Charlie gets a mention as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

it has to be jack hes just a big prick
    i've never found charlie annoying

Advertisement