Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIS (marinetraffic.com)

• 24-02-2012 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Lets face it, anyone with any interest in the sea will come across or will use Marinetraffic.com and other AIS regularly.

What have you found that takes your interest on Marinetraffic right now?

I'll get the ball rolling, mine is that I see a Unspecified ship by the name of HEMLAND and under a Swedish flag in Tramore.
    When you zoom right in you can see that the ship, well the AIS transponder is in a house in a estate?
    Sometime the AIS can be a huge way off but this is not as its there a while now.
    Anyone got any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

I love to try and see if there are any foreign vessels in the fishing box, I think sometimes that can be quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the hemland seems to be moored in the middle of mahon co cork now, what the feck like, it turns out with a little google searching the vessel is a fishing vessel

the hemland seems to be moored in the middle of mahon co cork now, what the feck like, it turns out with a little google searching the vessel is a fishing vessel
    Yeah it messes up like that quite often, I remember seeing a ship in the middle of Kildare one day, however there could have been a transmitter there, but unlikely.

lorcan122 wrote: »
    Yeah it messes up like that quite often, I remember seeing a ship in the middle of Kildare one day, however there could have been a transmitter there, but unlikely.
    i,d highly doubt it unless a mowag piranha II apc has a transmitter onboard lol

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

lorcan122 wrote: »

mmh, i have never seen it like this.
    You'd see the odd wrong location here and there and when you press the "show current track" button it shows the ships track as straight over land and sea. With the Hemland it has no track?
    The ship is now showing up in Tramore again.

Here is a photo of the ship, its currently for sale in Denmark by the look of this website.

http://www.worldfishingtoday.com/fishingboatinfo/default.asp?kutterId=3770&mode=kutter_3

Unless someone in Tramore bought themself a Swedish trawler?!

• Advertisement

skipz wrote: »
    You'd see the odd wrong location here and there and when you press the "show current track" button it shows the ships track as straight over land and sea. With the Hemland it has no track?

Here is a photo of the ship, its currently for sale in Denmark by the look of this website.

http://www.worldfishingtoday.com/fishingboatinfo/default.asp?kutterId=3770&mode=kutter_3

Its a very temperamental system, and does have some flaws, I think it just depends where the satellite is and what kind of transponder they have.

skipz wrote: »

i,m actually from tramore but live in waterford city, and there aint any harbour in tramore to tie up a trawler,closet fishing village is dunmore east, but doubt it very much anyone down there purchased a swedish fishing trawler, there more than likely trying to get rid of there trawlers down there

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Helmland used to be showing as Lila Askholmen for quite some time - I remember googling it and I came up with this.

What ever transponder is he is using it seems only to be recieving an not transmitting as I have never picked it up on any plotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is there any muscle dredger in Tramore back strand by any chance?

Is there any muscle dredger in Tramore back strand by any chance?
    nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thank you.

Thank you.
    no probs uncle tom

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Jambo wrote: »
    Helmland used to be showing as Lila Askholmen for quite some time - I remember googling it and I came up with this.

What ever transponder is he is using it seems only to be recieving an not transmitting as I have never picked it up on any plotter.

Thanks for that link Jambo, thats another site ill be looking at now!
    Interesting read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

hey folks,
    great to see a maritime forum on here:), i noticed something that made me smile on marine traffic, the destination of the irish fishing trawler conquest, "the pub!" there is another trawler that has its destination as "anywhere but here",
    i was wondering what the hemland was about aswell, is it some guy with the transmitter in his house??

its strange about the hemland as it was in the middle of mahon co cork the other day also

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alicec

Should'nt the Dept of Marine or our Coastguard or even the local Gardai be checking up on this false transmission??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

She's in Tramore right now and doing 8.3 knots according to AIS.

roundymac wrote: »
    She's in Tramore right now and doing 8.3 knots according to AIS.
    zoom in and you,ll find that its in the middle of a housing estate!! i,m from tramore and as i said the pier can,t moor a vessel of the size of hemland and it certainly aint in the middle of ballycarnane woods lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

This past January or early February I noticed two ACL ships off the Waterford/Wexford coast. One was westbound with a destination on the East coast of America, the other eastbound with a destination of Liverpool. Sometime later I saw that they were both "side by side" for the best part of two hours-which I thought unusual-again one facing east and the other facing west. I actually thought of e-mailing ACL but upon reflection thought it best to mind my own business, if I noticed this so did ACL H.Q. I wonder if they were exchanging company business or mail or even perhaps crew members. Hours later one had sailed "out of range" and the other continued towards Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

zoom in and you,ll find that its in the middle of a housing estate!! i,m from tramore and as i said the pier can,t moor a vessel of the size of hemland and it certainly aint in the middle of ballycarnane woods lol

The target being displayed on Marine Traffic is not actually there, it must be a system error
    Should'nt the Dept of Marine or our Coastguard or even the local Gardai be checking up on this false transmission??

Yes and they do, in particular AIS transmissions from ships are closely monitored, even vessels that are outside AIS range are tracked. AIS has become use a powerful addition in assisting SAR that in the future AIS maybe intergated into GMDSS as a Distress system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I notice this service has been down all day. Anyone know why? Had to leave work early today because of its absence :)

Advertisement