Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4 tonite: 2 repeated dog programmes

• 27-02-2012 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

If anyone is interested.

Ice Dogs 1/3 BBC4 8pm and 11.25pm (first shown 2002)
    In the harshest winter in Siberian memory, Benedict Allen is in Siberia's remotest and most secretive province of Chukotka to learn from native hunters how to use a team of husky dogs to travel 1,500 kilometres into the Arctic and attempt to cross the Bering Strait into Alaska.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cz5q7

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: 3 years on BBC4 9pm and 01.20am
    In 2008, Pedigree Dogs Exposed lifted the lid on the true extent of the health and welfare problems faced by pedigree dogs in the UK. The startling exposé of harmful breeding practices generated a massive reaction from the public and from those involved in dog breeding
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cqp75

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks. I missed the PDE follow up - but I heard a lot about it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Caught the end of Pedigree Dogs Exposed. All I can say is wow. Had no idea of the pain and suffering the pugs and bulldogs suffer with their breathing etc.

Pretty horrific stuff. It's very sad what some humans have done to breeds. To see certain breeds 100years ago compared to the way that they're bred today...it's just sad.

If anyone wants to record this it is being repeated at 1.20am tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just finished the Ice Dogs, the English guy hadnt a clue and was totally all over the place, also the Locals seemed not the brightest as they made many mistakes and could not even read simple things like the direction the sun set in order to find their way back to town, the Eskimos of Greenland have Survival down to a fine art unlike these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

The poor king charles spaniels! did they say that woman bred from her show dog 26 times after being diagnosed with syringomyelia?

Yet another show that did not cast breeders and show people in a good light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's great to see people from the breed clubs starting to speak out, what they've done to some of these breeds in 100 years is animal cruelty. I loved the idea of a whole new type of dog show, where good health and good temperament would be promoted. I'd enter my mutt:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I say kudos to the kennel club, the show made it look like they haven't done much, but in reality the changes they have made will make a huge difference over time. The problem is no longer the kennel club but the individual breeders and I would hope that the younger people coming into the show-ring would be more open to change and to being educated. With some breeds it really does look like 'if you continue to abuse 'em your going to loose 'em, hopefully that's a big enough kick in the butt to get people moving in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Great news that the kennel club are willing to make changes...lets hope they are enforced. However I do think its a disgrace that they needed a programme to put pressure on them to make these changes.

Sad to see that mans best friend is being so obviously genetically abused with horrible results. I see the problems every day here. Really upsetting.

Given the KC's response & the reaction of the breeders, to the first program it doesn't bode well for their desire to really change things. Jemima Harrison gets my kudos not the KC - after all the KC were hardly unaware of all this suffering going on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Discodog wrote: »
    Given the KC's response & the reaction of the breeders, to the first program it doesn't bode well for their desire to really change things. Jemima Harrison gets my kudos not the KC - after all the KC were hardly unaware of all this suffering going on for years.

agree with that. It should never have taken a programme like that to alert these issues. the KC should be all over those things like a rash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The responses from some of these breeders is disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It kind of reminds me of the same people that take part in the hunt. Can anyone agree to that?

If anyone wants more info there is a huge amount on Jemima's Blog.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/

Advertisement