Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall young man buying trousers from Topman

• 22-02-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am looking to purchase two pair of trousers, black and gray, from Topman.com. I am a 32 waist, and fall somewhere between a 32 and 34 length. I plan on buying the pants in 32L, which is a 34 leg and having the legs tailored if needed.

My only concern was how they fit. I am looking for something that fits more on the skinny side, but I do not want something absurdly slim. I still want them to look like nice dress pants, just fashionable. So I am looking at slim and skinny fit trousers, and wondering which would be best. I am about 6'5" and 175 pounds. I have very skinny legs, so I don't anticipate anything being too skinny really.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 drden56

Bumpin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

drden56 wrote: »
    Bumpin

No need to bump after three hours.

I'd go slim rather than skinny. The skinny ones, I think, would make you look "lanky", for want of a better word. If you have skinny legs, the skinny jeans will emphasise them, the slim are meant to be a little bigger in fit. Slim are more formal as well, while still being fashionable.

I actually think more guys are going for the slim chinos look now than the super skinny jeans.

BUT best thing to do is try them on, and bring an honest shopping partner. If you're ordering online, just order both styles and send one back.

Sorry about the bump man, I'm new to this forum, still figuring it out.

Thanks for the input though. I live in the United States, so there are no stores around for me to try things on, and shipping things back and forth could be a pain, so I'm trying to be as accurate right off the bat.

Thank you.

drden56 wrote: »
    Sorry about the bump man, I'm new to this forum, still figuring it out.

Thanks for the input though. I live in the United States, so there are no stores around for me to try things on, and shipping things back and forth could be a pain, so I'm trying to be as accurate right off the bat.

Thank you.

No worries, welcome to the forum.

I see your location says NY, are you close the city at all? There's a Topman store on Broadway and Broome.

I don't think the skinny jeans will look bad on you, but I'd say that slim are more formal. Do you have links to the ones you're looking at, are they for an occasion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

You'll have to just go in and try them on nobody can really tell you whats going to look good without seeing a fit pic. If your legs are really skinny a skinny cut may look slim on you whereas on a slim guy they will look skinny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

yeah, I can never buy anything online as I'm borderline 34 leg (I technically think I'm a 34.5 inch leg and the majority of lengths end at 34). This means many 34s can be too short for me but others can be just right or even a little long so trying them on instore is the only option for me. This is why I never order online as the hassle of returning is too much of a deterrent for me.

Saying that, I have bought a lot of trousers and jeans in Topman over the years and their 34 inch leg lengths are never short for me. Their slim fit trousers are just the right level of slimness too (I'm a similar build to you but only 6'2") so this style would complement your build. I've tried on their skinny fit trousers but they are just too tight fitting for office or formal wear in my opinion and as the other posters said would probably adversely highlight your skinny legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Most if not all Diesel jeans run an 1/2-1inch longer than the label,and actually the waists are wider than label too. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

I find topman clothes very sketchy on sizes, for example at the moment I have 3 pairs of the exact same line of chinos in different colours that are labelled different sizes but all fit the same... as after I bought the first pair (which were a 32R) I picked up the second without trying on only to find them ridiculously tighter than the others even though they are labelled the same size. I'd try to get a store to try stuff on before buying.

Definitely go for slim over skinny fit, as their sizes seem to cater for hobbits now and skinny is absurdly tight.

Thanks for all the replies guys! unfortunately, I am not near the city, so trying things on is not an option for me. I found a bunch of nice stuff in local stores but none of it seems to be fitting properly, so I am going to go with Topman slim fit trousers. Seems to be the best route, more formal and a good price.

Does anybody know about the fabric blend? something like 60/40 polyester/viscose. How is this compared to a wool blend or something.

Sorry to resurrect a days-old thread, I've been away for the last couple of days.

They're not the most amazing quality, not as soft as a cotton blend. But I used to work in Topman and the chinos/non denim trousers were always very popular. J.Crew also have a good selection of pants, same price range as Topman, but with cotton blends.

Cotton is a more breathable fabric, as are all natural fabrics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement