Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My UPC Bill

• 17-08-2011 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Sorry if this is a bit noobish, signed up with UPC last month and got my first bill today.

I have the Digitial Select Extra+ television pack (€32 per month) and the 12mb Broadband (€25 per month). I don't have any additional channel subscriptions (I do have Sky Movies + Sky Sports, but this is free for the first 2 months and I won't be keeping them). My first bill came today, and I'm being charged €66.72.

Any idea where the €11.72 could be coming from? Am I missing something, or do they have a habit of billing for the incorrect amount?

I was going to ring them about it, but don't have all my details with me here at work (so I can't check my online bill either just yet) so just thought I'd ask here first anyway. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

It's usually the first month, and X days from the day it was installed up to the first billing day.

Say you got on the 20th and billing starts on the 1st, your first bill will the a full month + 10 days (10/30 x your bill per month).

Mine is usually €41.75 PM (20mb BB standalone), was €51ish for the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

They bill you in advance of the coming month. That's included in the bill, and on this one occasion, whatever amount of days you've had UPC for up to that bill.

Next month's bill should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sorry, this actually isn't my first bill, I meant to say it's my first normal, monthly bill. I've already paid one large bill that included my first month's bundle, the router, the UPC box and the few days extra I had before my normal billing period. That came to about €150 give or take a few quid.

I reckon this bill today should be the first of a uniform charge I'll be receiving each month, but it doesn't seem to match up with the two services I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

VAT maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It took them three bills to finally get my monthly amount right. They overcharged me by so much I actually ended up getting a month practically free when it got sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Have to agree with DigiDec above, it's probably the VAT. I did a quick calculation and it seems to add up to the 21% VAT, which they added to the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Any idea where the €11.72 could be coming from?

They overcharged us 6 months in a row, I had to ring them up after every single bill, put on hold and then have to re-explain what my bill should be every single time and eventually after 15 minutes of them trying to justify the bill they excepted their mistake, They are a disgrace for overcharging and will continue to overcharge you unless you ring them up and sort it out,

And no I'm not been unfair to them, this is our personal experience so be warned of the overcharging.

On the Plus side - They have fantastic broadband, no-one in Ireland can compete with their speeds or prices, Customer service?? Forget about it :mad:

thisNthat wrote: »
    They overcharged us 6 months in a row, I had to ring them up after every single bill, put on hold and then have to re-explain what my bill should be every single time and eventually after 15 minutes of them trying to justify the bill they excepted their mistake, They are a disgrace for overcharging and will continue to overcharge you unless you ring them up and sort it out,

And no I'm not been unfair to them, this is our personal experience so be warned of the overcharging.

On the Plus side - They have fantastic broadband, no-one in Ireland can compete with their speeds or prices, Customer service?? Forget about it :mad:

I am sorry to hear that you have got overcharged.. But the above problem seems to be the VAT, and that is where the 11.72 is coming from, I did a calculation and it amounts to 21%, so there is no overcharging here. I stand corrected if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My guess is that it is not VAT (21% of €57 = €11.97) or overcharging. And the figures they quote per month are VAT inclusive (although they do break it down on the actual bill)

Don't UPC bill bi-monthly? But you probably joined at some point close to the middle of the bill run. Your full bill when you're up and running will be €114 so by billing you €66.72, my guess is that you are paying for receiving the service for roughly 5 weeks of the 8 and then the next 2 month cycle begins.

A simple phone call of course will sort you out for sure

My guess is that it is not VAT (21% of €57 = €11.97) or overcharging. And the figures they quote per month are VAT inclusive (although they do break it down on the actual bill)

Don't UPC bill bi-monthly? But you probably joined at some point close to the middle of the bill run. Your full bill when you're up and running will be €114 so by billing you €66.72, my guess is that you are paying for receiving the service for roughly 5 weeks of the 8 and then the next 2 month cycle begins.

A simple phone call of course will sort you out for sure

Yeah I got the same result, but assumed that the extra 20 or 30 cent came from a some other place in the bill.. you know UPC!!

Just read their conditions and they said that all prices include VAT, so thanks Jack I may get onto them when I get my next bill because I'm nearly sure they always add VAT to my bill total.. anyway I agree just give them a call and they'll sort it out for you, which is what I'll be doing when I get my next bill after finding out that VAT is included on their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Gonna try make this as simple as possible.

Dates are fake just to make it easier to grasp.

you signed for free sports and movies on the 1/1/2011, two months free which will run out on the 1/3/11.

you're billing period, say, is the 7th of each month, so your first bill would be from the 1/1/11 to the 6/2/11 and your second bill from the 7/2/11 to the 6/3/11

The likelyhood is you're being billed for the extra 6 days of sports and movies as you're offer runs out on the 1st, but your billing period is till the 6th, but it would be credited back on the next bill as long as you ring up to cancel it before the 1st etc.

Advertisement