Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of contract (Meteor)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

That sounds cool. I might go the slightly longer, more tedious route of switching to PAYG and then to the lite plan as 18 months is a long long time. Even though I don't plan on changing my handset in that time it'll be peace of mind that I'm not bound to a contract.

Never know when I might want to escape the country haha!

Come to think of it I might even get away with being on the €10 lite plan with a €5 250MB data add-on. Free Meteor texts and 50min/txts. After that it's only 10c/min to Meteor numbers. Plus 300 webtexts of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sweet I've being on my desire less then a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

More questions, I have to send in an email to say I want to cancel, has anybody else had to do this?

If so how long does it take? Do you get switched back to payg? Can i just go into a meteor store any sign up to the bill pay lite option?

I'm just a little freaked that i will get stung with some mad charges, is there no repercussions if you mentioned that your coming off it because of this data price change.

Once again thank you for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

More questions, I have to send in an email to say I want to cancel, has anybody else had to do this?

If so how long does it take? Do you get switched back to payg? Can i just go into a meteor store any sign up to the bill pay lite option?

I'm just a little freaked that i will get stung with some mad charges, is there no repercussions if you mentioned that your coming off it because of this data price change.

Once again thank you for any info[/QUOTE

I cancelled my 18mth contract around lunch time today. The lady I spoke to advised me to send an email confirming that I wanted to cancel my contract due to the change the contarcts terms by meteor.

I was further advised that I would be switched to payg. I was told that at some point the service on my phone would drop at which point I should switch the phone off for 20 mins and when I turned it on I would be on payg.

I have yet to experince the dropped service to facilate the change. Once I am on payg I plan to visit a Meteor shop tomorrow and sign up to a monthly contract.

The whole issue was resolved very quickly and politely. Just waiting on the service to drop off. But given the amount of people that are cancelling their contracts I presume this is taking some time.

I wouldn't be worried about any charges. The EU regulation which has precipitated the contractual amendments prohibits any such charges or penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

All in all Meteor are dealing with this pretty well. It's not consistent but nevertheless they're doing a pretty good job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Once again thank you for any info.

Same here had to email my mobile number name and address to cancellations@meteor.ie ,did that at 11am today and then rang them at
    1800-222-085. They just checked that they got it and said I be switched in the next 5 minutes.

Thanks to partyatmygaff I am rooted and out of my contract.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I was told by two people that if i'd cancel the contract i'd have to return the phone!??

artielange wrote: »

Let's call it the full Desire package :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

Pacifico wrote: »
    I was told by two people that if i'd cancel the contract i'd have to return the phone!??
    That's what meteor were saying on Tuesday but they weren't saying it on Wednesday. I think they copped that "without penalty" means what it says!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Yeah this was the statement:
    In accordance with the Ts & Cs, termination must be notified in writing prior to the date of implementation of the change, so you would need to cancel your contract in writing before the 22nd of August. Also in accordance with the T&C’s, if you are within the minimum period of your contract, Meteor is entitled to require the return of your handset. The change does not directly affect customers on Bill Pay Max, Bill Pay Surf or our Smart Plans, as they already have an inclusive allowance of Data within their plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Keith186 wrote: »
    That's what meteor were saying on Tuesday but they weren't saying it on Wednesday. I think they copped that "without penalty" means what it says!

Don't think its necessarily clear cut. If title doesn't pass until the end of the term, then the phone is not yours but meteors. When you exercise the option to terminate, the phone is still actually meteors, so in theory they can ask for it back.

No unfortunately for meteor however, the terms and conditions posted on line dont seem to be drafted the best, in that there is no reference to amendments to T&C's that I can see, or any provision regarding ownership of the phone upon early termination.

Perhaps the reason they've changed tone is because they have left it all a bit ambiguous. if they had a better drafted contract, I don't think there would be anything to stop them seeking the return of the phone.

Asking for the return of their own property wouldn't be a penalty (although you would expect that they would refund the money you paid for it).

Keith186 wrote: »

I was told this today unfortunately....wonder why i'm being told this when so many others are not?

Pacifico wrote: »
    I was told this today unfortunately....wonder why i'm being told this when so many others are not?
    I think it depends on your history with Meteor. How long are you with them and what do you want to change to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I only entered a contract with Meteor last Wednesday. Is it worth ringing up and seeing if I could upgrade to free meteor calls and txts. If I succeed, will I have to go into a meteor store to sign up for a new 18 month contract?

Thanks

I think it depends on your history with Meteor. How long are you with them and what do you want to change to?

With them just over a year on bill....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Sweet, that was easier than I thought. I didn't have to switch to PAYG or anything. Told them I want to cancel contract and switch to Bill Pay Lite. So from August 25th I'm back on €10 a month Bill Pay Lite & €5 250MB add-on and out of my contract after only 3 months.

Lawstud wrote: »
    I cancelled my 18mth contract around lunch time today. The lady I spoke to advised me to send an email confirming that I wanted to cancel my contract due to the change the contarcts terms by meteor.

I was further advised that I would be switched to payg. I was told that at some point the service on my phone would drop at which point I should switch the phone off for 20 mins and when I turned it on I would be on payg.

I have yet to experince the dropped service to facilate the change. Once I am on payg I plan to visit a Meteor shop tomorrow and sign up to a monthly contract.

The whole issue was resolved very quickly and politely. Just waiting on the service to drop off. But given the amount of people that are cancelling their contracts I presume this is taking some time.

I wouldn't be worried about any charges. The EU regulation which has precipitated the contractual amendments prohibits any such charges or penalties.

Cheers man that was exactly what i was looking for.
    Same here had to email my mobile number name and address to cancellations@meteor.ie ,did that at 11am today and then rang them at
    1800-222-085. They just checked that they got it and said I be switched in the next 5 minutes.

Yeah thats what i was told, should i put in the email about the change in their data plans as that why im getting out of it to be sure?

What is the worse that could happen, lets say they want the phone back, do it get back the money i paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

That was....easy...emailed and rang and after 30 secs of upgrade offers she accepted the change. Lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can anyone tell me if i can do this on bill pay surf?
    and change to something cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Cheers man that was exactly what i was looking for.

Yeah thats what i was told, should i put in the email about the change in their data plans as that why im getting out of it to be sure?

What is the worse that could happen, lets say they want the phone back, do it get back the money i paid for it?

I would like to cancel my contract due to a change of the contract terms by Meteor.Besides My name mobile # and address was all I included. Sent the email and called 4 hours later and it was done.

This morning got a message that a text I tried to send last night couldn't because I didn't have enough credit.:)

• Advertisement

Fantastic, cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

I sent an email yesterday. Nothing had happen by this morning. So I rang them to see what the crack was. The guy I spoke to told me that he would switch me to the monthly €30 plan.

I said that I was advised yesterday that I would have go into a meteor shop to sign a new contract. He said that there were changes made since yesterday and there was no need to go into a meteor shop to organise it. He did it over the phone. The new contract kicks in automatically at the end of my current bill period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Lawstud wrote: »
    I sent an email yesterday. Nothing had happen by this morning. So I rang them to see what the crack was. The guy I spoke to told me that he would switch me to the monthly €30 plan.

I said that I was advised yesterday that I would have go into a meteor shop to sign a new contract. He said that there were changes made since yesterday and there was no need to go into a meteor shop to organise it. He did it over the phone. The new contract kicks in automatically at the end of my current bill period.

yeah, but without free meteor to meteor calls and texts!

Sweet, that was easier than I thought. I didn't have to switch to PAYG or anything. Told them I want to cancel contract and switch to Bill Pay Lite. So from August 25th I'm back on €10 a month Bill Pay Lite & €5 250MB add-on and out of my contract after only 3 months.
    Wow that was so easy. I'm changing to Bill Pay Lite on the 15th August with the 250MB data add on, cutting my monthly bill in half and no more contract! (4 months into an 18 month contract) :D

Also, no messing about with switching to PAYG or to other networks and back, or with giving back the handset... cheers Meteor!

cojomo2 wrote:
    You sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Since I know the majority of Android users on this subforum are on Meteor I feel this is suited here (In case you don't read Mobiles & PDAs)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977831

Just succeeded in getting out of my 12 month contract only 3 months in on my Desire :)

Not leaving Meteor or anything but it's nice knowing you're free :D

Sincere thanks PAMG. I got my Desire, and first bill pay contract (18 months) the day the phone launched here. Thanks to your post here I just moved to Bill pay lite... €15 per month gets me 50 mins, 50 texts, free meteor to meteor text and 250 MB data. Oh ya, and the opportunity to get out whenever I like. Again, thanks :)

cojomo2 wrote: »

Interested in hearing more about this here too, just switched to Bill Pay Smart Lite this morning, webpage still shows free meteor to meteor calls and texts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Interested in hearing more about this here too, just switched to Bill Pay Smart Lite this morning, webpage still shows free meteor to meteor calls and texts

I asked to be switched to bill pay lite smart on Wednesday, was told it PAYG only, so I agreed. I still have not been switched due to a 'technical issue', but they rang me today to say they are still looking into it, but said if I liked they could switch me over to Bill pay lite over the phone, but without free meteor calls and texts. If I wanted this included, I had to call into a store.

I'm still waiting for the 'technical issue' to be resolved.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I asked to be switched to bill pay lite smart on Wednesday, was told it PAYG only, so I agreed. I still have not been switched due to a 'technical issue', but they rang me today to say they are still looking into it, but said if I liked they could switch me over to Bill pay lite over the phone, but without free meteor calls and texts. If I wanted this included, I had to call into a store.

I'm still waiting for the 'technical issue' to be resolved.

What I was told was that I'd be switched over to that package (with no provisos) on my next cycle date, which is early August. Are you sure your issue isn't because of them changing policies all week about how to handle this terms and conditions issue. If I were you I'd ring again and confirm you're switching to the full package "as advertised"

• Advertisement

What I was told was that I'd be switched over to that package (with no provisos) on my next cycle date, which is early August. Are you sure your issue isn't because of them changing policies all week about how to handle this terms and conditions issue. If I were you I'd ring again and confirm you're switching to the full package "as advertised"
    That's how I see it aswel. I asked to be switched to the Bill Pay Lite plan, which their website says includes Free Meteor texts. So I better bloody get them! haha

Advertisement