Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful Websites & Books

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 goodmand88

Hi, would any one have any info on decent books to aid with financial modelling and specifically equity valuation models? DCF models and the like. If any one has any advice when it comes to building models using Excel it would be much appreciated! I have started building some simple models some are better than others just want to hone the skills! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 waken

Hi Hashey
    Have you had trouble with a broker, if so can you share that info so the rest of us can be aware.
    Thanks
    Waken

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

http://www.youtube.com/user/mfglobal

Daily commodities, index and metals videos on you tube from the brokerage firm MF Global in Chicago.

The videos from their analyst Jim Comiskey who does the metals are worth a watch at time. Amusing and the guy has a bit of personality

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Recommend a good book on technical analysis and charting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John J. Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

The 3 books by Peter Lynch ex Fidelity , like Templeton just timeless.
    Beating the Street, One Up On Wall St and Learn to Earn.

Another great read for every Irish teenager would be the Wealthy Barber by David Chilton, the original one. Should be mandatory in schools, then the next generation may not repeat the mistakes of the Tiger Years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I have recently started a new website based on value investing.

www.market-swings.com

There's a blog on the home page in which I detail my own investments, those of Warren Buffett in his early days etc etc. I try to update it daily.

There is also a newsletter and the January edition covers, amongst other things, 4 Japanese stocks trading at less than net cash. These could take a while to come good so this site is about investing not speculating.

The newsletter also has a portfolio etc. There's more information on the About Me page.

Feel free to comment on the blogs. :)

Also please feel free to give your opinion ( comments/suggestions etc ) on the site via PM on Boards.

I have been investing full time since 2005 so have learned a few lessons. My site mainly works on fundamental analysis with a tiny bit of TA and it's for investing not speculating.

I'll be changing some of the text soon and there's a great new feature coming soon.

The aim of the site is to help beginner/intermediate investors invest with less risk.

Marcel

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Can anybody recommend some good non-fiction books that are more story-like and entertaining rather than educational? i.e. books I've really enjoyed are Wolf of Wall Street, Smartest Guys in the Room, Liar's Poker etc. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes by Peter Schiff is an excellent read. Nice and simple and there are very good things to take from it. If you dont know Schiff, search youtube for the Peter Schiff was Right video!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RevenueLand

Does anyone have an opinion on Billion Dollar Whale book?
    Life is too short to read boring books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Mach 3

Zerohedge gives a link to a pdf of Seth Klarman's "Margin of Safety" which is out of print and sells on Amazon for $1000+
    http://www.zerohedge.com/article/seth-klarman-sees-another-lost-decade-stocks-artificial-market-reminds-him-hostess-twinkie

The link for "Margin of Safety" no longer works, but you can get it from this one.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/27sjwjb30ic0qst/Margin-of-Safety.pdf/file

Speculators and Unsuccessful Investors
    Investing Versus Speculation
    Mark Twain said that there are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he
    can't afford it and when he can. Because this is so, understanding the difference between
    investment and speculation is the first step in achieving investment success.
    To investors stocks represent fractional ownership of underlying businesses and bonds are
    loans to those businesses. Investors make buy and sell decisions on the basis of the current prices
    of securities compared with the perceived values of those securities. They transact when they think
    they know something that others don't know, don't care about, or prefer to ignore. They buy
    securities that appear to offer attractive return for the risk incurred and sell when the return no
    longer justifies the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

My recommendations:

The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros - though he is a controversial figure politically (not endorsed by me), this is the best book on markets I've read. He analyses the dynamics of a bubble. He also explains the methods he used to avoid haemorrhaging money when starting out as a hedge fund manager.

Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis - essential if you intend to trade fixed income.

The Mayfair Set - documentary series directed by Adam Curtis. All the episodes are on Youtube. My favourite part is the on-screen testimony by Christopher Fildes: "I began to realise that I and other people in the financial press were willing dupes."

I also have a negative list of anti-recommendations (AVOID AVOID AVOID!):

Zerohedge - they've now taken to deleting old blog posts which contain embarrassingly wrong predictions. Have they ever been right about anything? Pure propaganda.

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Charlatan. I couldn't finish this screed to the end. Do you believe Warren Buffet made his money purely by chance and everything that happens is 100% random? Then you might enjoy this muck.

Most of the mainstream financial press - Bloomberg, the WSJ, CNBC, CNN all the usual rubbish basically. I don't dismiss them totally since sometimes they will have useful articles, especially the Financial Times, but overall use your discernment and filter everything you read if you must read this stuff.

Irish Times Business Opinion - advising you that buying the dip after the last correction in March 2020 was too risky. How did that work out? The Nasdaq doubled between March 2020 and January 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

The Education of a value investor by Guy Spier and The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel are both super reads with lots of takeaway points. Highly recommend both.

Advertisement