Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificate in Financial Mathematics - Actuarial Exam CT1

• 08-04-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have been accepted into a postgrad hdip in Actuarial Science in Dublin which will start this Sept. However I wish to sit the exam for the Certificate in Financial Mathematics this October just to get it out of the way if possible!
    Has anyone here taken this exam (probably not, but worth a try!)? If so advise would be much appreciated...I am wondering about preparationn for the exam and exam material - is the 'Combined Material Pack' sufficient to cover all material in the exam by oneself, with approx 15hours put in each week between now and the exam (approx 24 weeks)?
    Also, has anyone taken on-line (or other) tutorials?
    Another option would be to sign up to the online course at the University of Leicester. Does anyone have experience of this?
    A little background on myself: I graduated with a 2.1 in civil engineering in July 2009, got an A1 in maths in the Leaving Cert, and am currently working part-time, so would be able to dedicate approx 15 hours most weeks from now up until mid-September. I would probably need to brush up on some of the maths, but would be able to do so fairly quickly.

Any advise that anyone who has done this exam would be much appreciated...

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 -Flex-

I'll throw some information your way for you to mull over...

You may not need to splash out on the full "Combined Materials Pack" (CMP) and could opt for the "Course Notes" instead. Scan the acted website and see what each contains to help you make up your mind. The CMP contains the Course Notes and has an extra Q&A bank and some assignments for you to try.

If you want to try the online smart revise see the following for details on how to get a trial:
    http://acted.co.uk/Html/electronic_smart_revise.htm

24 weeks should be manageable but you'll be busy!

There's a forum dedicated to the subject here: http://www.acted.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Only advice is to get through the notes quickly, practice lots of questions and aim to start practising past papers long before your exam.

Past Papers (and solutions) are here:
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/exams/preparing/exam_papers

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭monkeerina

thanks a mil for that flex...yeah I got the CMP pack there last week so have just read ch1 so far...which seems v easy but i'm sure it'll get much harder!
    Just after noticing though that at the start of the notes for CT1 they say that they've assumed that you've already done CT3...is this usually the case?? I'll see how I'm getting on with CT1 in a week or two and may try CT3 too if I think I can manage it, although that would require me signing up as a member plus not sure I'd have the time to dedicate to the two exams

There is some interdependence between all the CTs but CT1 is the best starting point. CT3 covers statistics and probability but you don't need too much of that for CT1, so you should be fine without studying it too.

Here is a link to a suggested route through the exams: http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/exams/preparing/route_through_exams
    It does not mention that CT1 requires knowledge of CT3.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Shoves

-Flex- wrote: »
    There is some interdependence between all the CTs but CT1 is the best starting point. CT3 covers statistics and probability but you don't need too much of that for CT1, so you should be fine without studying it too.

Here is a link to a suggested route through the exams: http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/exams/preparing/route_through_exams
    It does not mention that CT1 requires knowledge of CT3.

I'm trying to get into Actuary (graduated with a 2.1 in Mathematical Sciences in Aug 2009) and was advised to start with CT7. I should be exempt from CT3 from my course, but I still have to apply for this.

Would you recommend that I start with CT1 instead?
    Thanks!

CT7 is Economics and doesn't rely much on knowledge of the other subjects. Knowledge of CT1 will be of no real advantage for CT7. I would say that the stuff covered by CT1 is more core to the work you will actually do as an actuary, so doing it first may be marginally more helpful. If you're set on trying to become an actuary then you may aswell do CT7 first if that was recommended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement