Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you know the date

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I actually can't remember what it was like not to know him.
    I feel the same about my husband...it is as if a switch went on when I met him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I remember the date we first met. November 25th, we got engaged on the same date 7 years later. Next month our fist meeting will have been 12 years ago. I actually can't remember what it was like not to know him.
    CathyMoran wrote: »
    I feel the same about my husband...it is as if a switch went on when I met him :D

I used to hate when people said "I can't imagine my life without him" etc when I was with my ex, I used to think that while yes I wouldn't like us to break up I would survive just fine (should've been a hint really!!). With my boyfriend now I actually can't remember not knowing him, even though I only know him for 3 of my 26 years, and the thoughts of not being with him is like imagining my life without an integral part of my brain, he's grown on me, like a fungus! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Our " anniversary" is the day we went on our first date .. we got engaged on that date this year and will marry on that date in 18 months :D

And it is hard to think back on what life was without him ...... Never thought i would be that person :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Just opened the saved text he sent me when he asked me out for tapas and beers the following night, so it's April the 1st of this year. Never thought back then that the text would mean so much to me now as it does. Didn't think anything would come of us. Glad I kept it now. It's very sweet and in hindsight and I see it's very him. You can tell he was shiitting his load sending it, bless him :D

Edit: Just realised that our anniversary is April Fools Day! Our relationship is just a wind up! Heh heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

In my case my boyfriend kind of chose the date.

We had already had a few really great dates, but the one that stood out was the 20th December, thick ice on the roads and both of us made the effort to meet up, and we had the most amazing kiss in the car, neither of us wanting to leave and go our seperate ways. The following year a friend said "you must be a year together now, what's date is your anniversary?" and my boyfriend said the 20th. I asked him afterwards why he chose that date. He told me it was "just magical", possibly the most romantic thing he's said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I always remember the date we first met, we first kissed, and we first realised that there was something special about each other. That all happened in one night. Sounds crazy, but that's how it was, and I almost felt like I loved the guy after just one night.

Three years later, I think I was right! :) We celebrate the date we met as our anniversary and have always done something special to mark the date. Every time we do this, I'm brought right back to the first night - be it one year, two years, or three years in the past, and I feel so happy! I look forward to celebrating the rest of our anniversaries together.

August 3rd has a whole new meaning to me anymore! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

He had seen me at party and about a year later asked my via a mutual friend to go to a wedding with him.

I said I would go but not as a date just for the day out, ya right,, when I saw him that day at the I knew that was exactly where I was supposed to be. cheesy, but thanks to fact its a friends wedding anniversary I can remember the date, otherwise he would have to remind me - I am useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We have stayed together since the day we met almost 7 and a half years ago.
    Why neither of us forget the date though, is that my boyfriend's friend died that night. My boyfriend didn't find out until the next day.
    So it is a very bitter sweet day. Obviously happy that we met, but there is always that tinge of sadness to the day aswell. I did not know the guy at all, he was my boyfriend's friend who my boyfriend had actually been out with just a few hours before he met me. It's a weird kind of feeling when I think about it.
    I remember getting the text the next day from my now boyfriend. I was shocked, and wasn't sure how to react or comfort someone who I had essentially just met the day before. We met up that evening and chatted for hours. It wasn't one of his really close friends, but was a person he had been friendly with since school, and they had been in the pub that day together, so he was obviously in shock and very upset.
    My boyfriend looks at in a way that on that night his friend's life ended, but that our relationship began. The end of one which was heartbreaking, was also the start of something good and new.
    I suppose that's one way to look at it, but we still don't really celebrate anniversaries. Might just have a nice meal at home, no cards or anything.
    I prefer to just celebrate birthday's, valentines, and Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Feeling soppy cos our anniversary is coming up :D
    We starting talking online on the 12th of November. Spoke on the phone on the 14th. Said I love you on the 23rd and met on the 27th!
    He thinks i'm mad for remembering it all but those dates changed my life and 2 years later i'm the happiest I've ever been, all because he said hello to me on the 12th! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

We started chatting via boards in the March then we met in person and got together on the 4th of June. Thats our anniversary. Its also exactly a week before my birthday so its easy to remember :) Over 6 years now. Feels like much longer and much less, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

We were friends for about a year before, but the 28th October was the first time we kissed and also when we knew we were an official couple. So that's when we celebrate it.

Although this year we didn't do anything because he's in Ireland and I'm in France.
    Still, we noted the day. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

I could easily rattle off a few dates about our relationship. I think it's just a woman's thing! First time we met, for "i love you", the date we started seeing each other, the day he asked me out, first kiss, first date..
    God, I make it sound like we're an old married couple! I'm only 17! :P Nearly four years together. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

We have stayed together since the day we met almost 7 and a half years ago.
    Why neither of us forget the date though, is that my boyfriend's friend died that night. My boyfriend didn't find out until the next day.
    So it is a very bitter sweet day. Obviously happy that we met, but there is always that tinge of sadness to the day aswell. I did not know the guy at all, he was my boyfriend's friend who my boyfriend had actually been out with just a few hours before he met me. It's a weird kind of feeling when I think about it.
    I remember getting the text the next day from my now boyfriend. I was shocked, and wasn't sure how to react or comfort someone who I had essentially just met the day before. We met up that evening and chatted for hours. It wasn't one of his really close friends, but was a person he had been friendly with since school, and they had been in the pub that day together, so he was obviously in shock and very upset.
    My boyfriend looks at in a way that on that night his friend's life ended, but that our relationship began. The end of one which was heartbreaking, was also the start of something good and new.
    I suppose that's one way to look at it, but we still don't really celebrate anniversaries. Might just have a nice meal at home, no cards or anything.
    I prefer to just celebrate birthday's, valentines, and Christmas.

Do you mind me asking why you prefer to celebrate valentines over your anniversary? Though I do understand that circumstances that you mention would affect that.

5 years on January 13th for my boyfriend and I. First day that we kissed and he asked me to be his girlfriend. Back when we were just naive little 15 year olds! He still notes the date way more than I would. He'll mention something every so often on the 13th of the month. Think he remembers other dates that I don't as well.
    The only other date I remember is the day we first officially talked which was November 17th, though that anniversary is dedicated to the first time I saw My Chemical Romance a year later! We sort of met a few days/weeks before that as we were in a joint school musical. We said I love you about 6 months into the relationship.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We count the day we first kissed, as that was the start of everything... We weren't on a date, it just happened. Although thinking about it now, we count the 7th as our anniversary but really it should be the 8th cos it was in the early hours of the morning... I suppose I think of it as the 7th because I hadn't gone to bed yet.

We didn't go on a 'date' until later in the week. I still remember the excitement the first time he referred to me as his girlfriend.

He started the anniversary thing... A month after we got together, he brought a rose into college for me. We just mark the yearly date now though, but unfortunately I wasn't able to see him on our 3rd or 4th anniversaries due to the distance thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Just realised that our anniversary is April Fools Day! Our relationship is just a wind up! Heh heh.

Another April 1st anniversary here. (2010)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

CathyMoran wrote: »

I feel that way about my bf too and we're not together a year yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

we go by the date we first met in person, we met on a dating site, so had know each other for a while before that, like not really a celebration our anniversary is kinda bitter sweet for my bf as its the same date his first serious girlfriend died 4 years before we met.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do you mind me asking why you prefer to celebrate valentines over your anniversary? Though I do understand that circumstances that you mention would affect that.

5 years on January 13th for my boyfriend and I. First day that we kissed and he asked me to be his girlfriend. Back when we were just naive little 15 year olds! He still notes the date way more than I would. He'll mention something every so often on the 13th of the month. Think he remembers other dates that I don't as well.
    The only other date I remember is the day we first officially talked which was November 17th, though that anniversary is dedicated to the first time I saw My Chemical Romance a year later! We sort of met a few days/weeks before that as we were in a joint school musical. We said I love you about 6 months into the relationship.

Well I suppose "celebrating" Valentines day was maybe a bit of an exaggeration on my part.
    We don't really do a huge lot for Valentines day either, it's no big deal really. We do always get each other a Valentine's card though, which we don't with the anniversary, or we might get each other some small cute little trinket, nothing extravagant or anything.
    Birthday's we make the biggest deal of, and we both go all out to spoil each other on these days, alot of the time they might not be objects but actually going away somewhere for a few days, or else doing some type of adventure activity that we wouldn't usually do often.
    Christmas will be very thoughtful gifts of things that we both know the other really wanted for ages, or would have a huge interest in. Christmas gifts tend to be objects.
    Valentines is usually just a card, and maybe a fillet steak steak for dinner! :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Well I suppose "celebrating" Valentines day was maybe a bit of an exaggeration on my part.
    We don't really do a huge lot for Valentines day either, it's no big deal really. We do always get each other a Valentine's card though, which we don't with the anniversary, or we might get each other some small cute little trinket, nothing extravagant or anything.
    Birthday's we make the biggest deal of, and we both go all out to spoil each other on these days, alot of the time they might not be objects but actually going away somewhere for a few days, or else doing some type of adventure activity that we wouldn't usually do often.
    Christmas will be very thoughtful gifts of things that we both know the other really wanted for ages, or would have a huge interest in. Christmas gifts tend to be objects.
    Valentines is usually just a card, and maybe a fillet steak steak for dinner! :-)

Fair enough! Was just curious I suppose! :-)
    Valentines doesn't really mean a huge amount to me personally (though again I think my boyfriend takes it more seriously) so I was interested in another view
    You guys sounds like great present givers! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

My boyfriend and I never officially dated because we've known each other since we were kids. I marked our anniversary on the day of our first kiss. But I have a friend who marked his anniversary with his girlfriend (same day as mine actually!) as the day he first asked her out. Each to their own, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I mark our anniversary as the day he officially asked me to be his girlfriend-we'd known eachother about 6 months and been seeing eachother for about a month but I always remember that conversation (he text me asking, my battery went dead and I was in work so couldnt reply til I got home about 6 hours later at which point he had started freaking out!). I dont remember the exact date though, so we mark it as the 3rd saturday of September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I have a rough date in my mind, i.e. it was the first 2 weeks of a certain month. The only time I think of it is after the month has passed and I think "f*ck me, have we been together that long?". We're getting married soon so we'll have a wedding anniversary from now on which is pretty concrete :)

With my ex we kissed at a certain event so it was easy to remember the date and we used to celebrate our "anniversary". Certainly couldn't tell you what that date is anymore anyway!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Well today is the day 14 years ago that he asked me out on a date which was 2 days later and then we promptly broke up for 3 weeks during which time he dated an ex friend of mine and then we got back and then broke up one more time in a huge way before we settled down and got married - we count these two days as the biggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm with my bf a month yesterday, I didn't even think about it but he sent me a text wishing me a happy anniversary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

We met and he asked me out persistantly for a few weeks but I kept refusing. Then I eventually gave in and agreed to go on date which we arranged, we ended up having a chance meeting the night before the date and spent an enjoyable evening chatting and ended up having our first kiss that night.
    We generally count the night of the first kiss as our anniversary as we've been together ever since. I only remember it because I have a good memory (I can even remember what we were both wearing) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Shivers26 wrote: »
    We met and he asked me out persistantly for a few weeks but I kept refusing. Then I eventually gave in and agreed to go on date which we arranged, we ended up having a chance meeting the night before the date and spent an enjoyable evening chatting and ended up having our first kiss that night.
    We generally count the night of the first kiss as our anniversary as we've been together ever since. I only remember it because I have a good memory (I can even remember what we were both wearing) :eek:
    I remember what my boyfriend and I were wearing when we first kissed too!
    but, to be fair, they were Dunnes Stores uniforms, as he was dropping me home after we both finished work. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Florence Short Weekday

Our anniversary is easy to remember.

Ended up on the beer with one of my friends last year and met who became the GF that night. The friend was on the Galway hurling panel and they lost earlier that day to Tipperary. If I ever forget the date I just need to do a quick Google - 25th of July 2010.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Ours is the first time we met in person. We met online and chatted and text back and fourth for a few weeks and then went for a meal for our first date on 22nd January 2011. Fingers crossed all goes well and we get to have our first anniversary in a couple of months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

We met at a funeral:o

It was the 31st of December and bitterly cold, I was and still am kind of mortified that at I pulled at a funeral! :p Though obviously nothing happened until some time later.

But a pretty much unforgetable date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

1st year anniversary was yesterday....
    got a gorgeous present..of a diamond ring!!!!!!
    so happy!!!

Advertisement