Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upset over vet's comment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,813 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would always attend procedures at my Vets unless they involved sterile/scrubbed conditions. But I do agree with Zapperzy that some owners can be a liability in the treatment room & their presence can cause more stress.

Vets do have to make a judgement call regarding temperament & they do rely on information from clients. The only was to minimise the risk of a bite is to grasp the animal very firmly or use a muzzle & neither are pleasant for the animal.

I think that the key to this is getting to know your Vet & I would avoid practices with lots of Vets - mine has three & I know them all. But some of this is also down to responsible ownership in training your dog to accept being touched, groomed etc.

My Vet encourages people to pop in with their dogs if they are passing by so that the dog gets used to the environment. The only mistake that the OP's Vet made was to comment in public - he should of asked the client into a consulting room if he wanted to mention the bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

And there are those who don't research what type of dog suits their family.
    The reason the pounds are overflowing is because more and more people can't care for their dogs so they just dump them somewhere.
    This is the reason they pounds are over-flowing, not because people want a certain type of dog. The pounds are full of mutts and pure-bred dogs: over-breeding is rife, also the ridiculous lack of neutering and spaying of dogs across the board is cause for the number of unwanted dogs in this country. Blaming people who research the right breed for their family and choose accordingly is a cop out, in my personal view, and unhelpful.

When did I BLAME people for researching what type of dog they want?Read again. I said "there are those " does not mean everyone. It means a few, alot, but not everyone. I understand overbreeding is rife and people not spaying and neutring its a big contribution to the pounds overflowing and I agree with you on that. I personally would take a mutt over a pupe breed due to the fact that most pupe breed suffer health wise and that is widely known but that is just my preference and not a STAB at anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

When did I BLAME people for researching what type of dog they want?Read again. I said "there are those " does not mean everyone. It means a few, alot, but not everyone. I understand overbreeding is rife and people not spaying and neutring its a big contribution to the pounds overflowing and I agree with you on that. I personally would take a mutt over a pupe breed due to the fact that most pupe breed suffer health wise and that is widely known but that is just my preference and not a STAB at anyone.

"Bugs the sh!t out of me when people buy dogs because they either want a puppy and then loose the head when it starts to chew the furniture etc or they want to buy a pure breed."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I can only assume your post is directed at me but im not the opening poster. I didn't say people who take in rescue pups or those who buy them are any different. What I meant was some people who want a puppy will buy 1 because they don't one from a rescue because it may have been mistreated and is nervous etc. They want one thats happy and of course its expected that they chew the furniture but il give you an example of someone who shouldn't have a puppy or a dog for that fact.

We homed a puppy to a Polish couple and as usual its a novelty at the start, bringing it for walks , playing with it etc. But then after a few weeks the pup started to chew the furniture and the husband left his passport on the chair within reach of the puppy. He came home, saw his passport in pieces and he kicked the dog so hard he broke its rib. We took the puppy back and never homed a dog to them again even though they asked us for one.

I personally am not a fan of breeding as I feel people should give dogs in pounds a go as they ca be just as loyal and loving. I have dealth with hundred's of rescues and we found them all homes and the owners said they would never buy a dog again, they would get a rescue as its more fulfilling and you get a sense of actually helping an animals not just buying one.

I can see where you are coming from. I have taken rescue dogs in the past and see no difference between them and pedigree breeds BUT I have always wanted a Miniature Schnauzer. He is perfect for my small house and great with my son. There are some dodgy breeders/puppy farms out there but as others have said most people who are looking for a pure breed dog do their research and buy from a reputable breeder. If nobody bred dogs we wouldn't have all the wonderful dog breeds:confused:

And thanks again guys for all the replies. I'm definitely changing vets but I am still going to keep an aye on Chewie's behaviour and do some training classes with him as he is a stubborn little sod:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭fits

Glad that you're changing vets.

I had a similar experience last year when a vet got cagey about my dog as soon as he saw him. He had to inject him but practically stabbed him and then reacted with an 'AHA I knew you'd do that' when my dog barked/snapped with pain. Dog didnt even go near him and has had jabs all his life without issue.

So I have to change vet again now. :( I was spoiled with Gillian Hicks when I lived in wicklow :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Gingernut31, Bullseye1, fatmammycat - if you want to have a conversation on the pros/cons of rescues/buying a dog, start a thread for the purpose or find one that's appropriate.

Keep the thread on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I always bring my dog in to the vets, *He is a rescue* and he feels more comfortable with me beside him. The first vet i took him too treated him like a number and didnt understand that my dog was very nervous and had a fear of men so i changed vets. If you feel the vet isnt right for you or you feel he/she wasnt professional, change vets. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I brought my Mini Schnauzer (7 months) over to the vets today to get his stitches from his neutering out. I thought it was strange that the vet said I didn't need to go in. Next thing I hear Chewie whimpering loudly 3 or 4 times.The vet then walks out and tells me I need to get him trained properly as he bit the vet assisstant:eek: I was in such shock that I just went home without saying anything. Chewie has never growled or bit me or my son. He would lick you to death. I'm very upset as the vet said this infront of 3 or 4 people in the waiting room that had been rubbing him before he went in. I rang them and spoke to the vet assistant who said not to worry he was just agitated. They said they usually don't bring the owners in when stitches are being taking out as it's easier for the Vet Assistant to hold the dog. I feel Chewie would have been much happier if I was there. Am I over-reacting here? I'm seriously considering changing vets.
    I would say you're over reacting as you suggest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ziggy - How is Chewie now? :D

And no - I don't think you're over-reacting. Maybe the vet was having an off-day. If you're not comfortable with your vet for any reason, then change. You don't have to justify this to anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I would say you're over reacting as you suggest
    Cheers Paddy:D Care to explain why?
    Ziggy - How is Chewie now? :D

And no - I don't think you're over-reacting. Maybe the vet was having an off-day. If you're not comfortable with your vet for any reason, then change. You don't have to justify this to anyone...

Chewie is fine now thanks:)
    Actually cut his eyebrows and the hair under his eyes today and there wasn't a peep out of him he was just trying to eat the comb:rolleyes: so I really do think the vet just hurt him or was over-exaggerating that he bit her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Off topic posts removed, if it continues - expect a short ban

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Well.. He is called Chewie... With a name Like that what did the vet expect.

I'd Change vet.
    It'll be a long & happy life your dog has; why spoil it or stress yiu & your dog out with a vet that is unsympathetic, inconsiderate & intolerant in a public forum, at a time when you are already upset & stressed.

Lifes too short & your dog deserves better.

I'd be asking how s/he acts and reacts when there is noone around to see if that is how they are happy to act & behave with a roomfull of paying stressed guests.

Advertisement