Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher Problem

• 23-08-2010 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Gracelynn Helpful Fool

I (well Other half's Father) have a Hotpoint Aquarius fdw20 which is not heating the water or drying the dishes. It has being doing this for a while now. It is hooked up to the hot and cold water as far as I know so they have being heating the water to get it working. Sometimes when it is put on it acts a little strange i.e. it takes a lot longer than normal to do a cycle or it skips straight from pre-wash to rinse and sometimes when it is set to reset it wont reset unless it is turned off for 5 mins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The problem about the water not heating sounds like a definite problem with the heating element.The other problems could be the switch board of some kind,not sure though.
    When you say that it's a hot and cold feed I take it it's fairly old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Gracelynn Helpful Fool

greetings wrote: »
    The problem about the water not heating sounds like a definite problem with the heating element.The other problems could be the switch board of some kind,not sure though.
    When you say that it's a hot and cold feed I take it it's fairly old?

As I say its not my dishwasher but as far as I know its only about 4 or 5 years old. It cant be much older judging by the looks of it.

Can anyone recommend a good reasonable repairman in South Dublin?

Ring up the retailer where he bought it and ask them to give you a number of someone that they use. Don't bother getting Hotpoint themselves,114e for the callout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I have the same problem, a Hotpoint FDW20 that isn't heating the water. I've bought and fitted a new heating element as a first step - no luck. What should I look at next? I'm reasonably good and experienced at machinery and electrical repairs etc and have all the tools and gear.

JC

• Advertisement

A guy from here who fixes dishwashers was supposed to come out and have a look at it but he was a no show. I think he said it could possibly be a blown relay on the pcb. I still have not got mine fixed.

I think I have found what's wrong with my one. I opened up the top panel of the door, and found that one corner of the circuit board seems to have gotten hot and partly fried itself. There are two thick wires attached there, which are probably going to the heater. A newe circuit board should solve it, I'll find out tomorrow what that costs and decide if it's worth replacing the board.

Link to part in the UK.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I have the same problem, a Hotpoint FDW20 that isn't heating the water. I've bought and fitted a new heating element as a first step - no luck. What should I look at next? I'm reasonably good and experienced at machinery and electrical repairs etc and have all the tools and gear.

JC

How old is yours?

How old is yours?

three to four years old, used probably twice a day.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    three to four years old, used probably twice a day.

Then don't order the part online. It'll be cheaper to put a call through to Hotpoint. You'll be charged 114 or 109 if you pay with a credit or debit card but all parts are covered and they'll gaurantee the whole machine for another 3 months. Free parts so you'll have the new part and it installed for cheaper than buying it online.

• Advertisement

Then don't order the part online. It'll be cheaper to put a call through to Hotpoint. You'll be charged 114 or 109 if you pay with a credit or debit card but all parts are covered and they'll gaurantee the whole machine for another 3 months. Free parts so you'll have the new part and it installed for cheaper than buying it online.

Thanks - I'll try it. What age is the cut-off point?

5 year on the parts gaurantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 icanhelp

Hotpoint FDW20 should be less than 5 years and parts should covered under warranty.

Contact Hotpoint on 0818 313 413.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

greetings you wrote

"Then don't order the part online. It'll be cheaper to put a call through to Hotpoint. You'll be charged 114 or 109 if you pay with a credit or debit card but all parts are covered and they'll gaurantee the whole machine for another 3 months. Free parts so you'll have the new part and it installed for cheaper than buying it online

is the charge 109 a fixed charge for any part including labour etc and does this include multi parts if required ,,

you mention 5 years on the parts guarantee what is that i thought they only came with a 1 year guarantee

i can you mention
    Hotpoint FDW20 should be less than 5 years and parts should covered under warranty.

you mention 5 years on the parts guarantee what is that i thought they only came with a 1 year guarante

could you guys clarify thanks chessguy

The 109 with a credit card covers the labour and any amount of parts required.
    Hotpoint white goods come with a one year labour and a five year parts guarantee i.e after the first year you pay for labour but not parts.

My better half tells me my own timer card is faulty - we have it 6 or 7 years. Anyway, I have ordered the card for €100 in John Ryan's Electrical in LImerick, should have it early in the coming week. I'll fit it and post again on whether it worked - or not. Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 md12

folks,don't know if this helps but i have an integrated whirlpool and i found wire going to the element had broken. The wire was situated at the bottom of the door so over time it got broken as the door opened and closed (bad design). Dont know if hotpoint placed wiring in similar area. Its easy enough to fix just take the door off and you can rejoin wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 icanhelp

chessguy wrote: »
    greetings you wrote

"Then don't order the part online. It'll be cheaper to put a call through to Hotpoint. You'll be charged 114 or 109 if you pay with a credit or debit card but all parts are covered and they'll gaurantee the whole machine for another 3 months. Free parts so you'll have the new part and it installed for cheaper than buying it online

is the charge 109 a fixed charge for any part including labour etc and does this include multi parts if required ,,

you mention 5 years on the parts guarantee what is that i thought they only came with a 1 year guarantee

i can you mention

you mention 5 years on the parts guarantee what is that i thought they only came with a 1 year guarante

could you guys clarify thanks chessguy

The first year you are covered for parts & labour, the following four years you have free parts when you call out Hotpoint service engineer cost of 109-114.

Hi folks

I called hotpoint today its like you mentioned regarding my dishwasher Hotpoint FDW20

The first year you are covered for parts & labour, the following four years you have free parts when you call out Hotpoint service engineer cost of 109-114.

for this they will fix the machine as long as it is viable , meaning as long as it does not cost around the 400 euro mark the part repaired is covered for 90 days,BUT you may need to show the receipt to the onsite repairman if he asks for it , Unfortunately I cannot find mine , but i registered with them online and they cannot find that record , grrrr...:)
    I sure could do with a hand there :)

they also said if they come out to the machine and deem it is not viable to repair you still have to pay the 114 euro as that payment is actually for a technicians visit .

But if the machine is over 5 years old and less than 8 they make a new warranty where no receipt is required ,because it is a new 1 year warranty , and then the whole machine is covered for 1 year including all parts and labour that may be required during the year , this cost 198 euro..

chessguy wrote: »
    Hi folks

I called hotpoint today its like you mentioned regarding my dishwasher Hotpoint FDW20

for this they will fix the machine as long as it is viable , meaning as long as it does not cost around the 400 euro mark the part repaired is covered for 90 days,BUT you may need to show the receipt to the onsite repairman if he asks for it , Unfortunately I cannot find mine , but i registered with them online and they cannot find that record , grrrr...:)
    I sure could do with a hand there :)

they also said if they come out to the machine and deem it is not viable to repair you still have to pay the 114 euro as that payment is actually for a technicians visit .

But if the machine is over 5 years old and less than 8 they make a new warranty where no receipt is required ,because it is a new 1 year warranty , and then the whole machine is covered for 1 year including all parts and labour that may be required during the year , this cost 198 euro..

Did you buy it from an independent retailer or a chain

• Advertisement

I bought it in Power City ,

Best advice would be PM an engineer on here like knighted_1 or g.man and see what they think in regards would the machine be beyond repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

http://www.hotpointservice.co.uk/hs/pages/book_a_service_call/puf.jsp

According to this it's 114 for a repair including parts

When I enquired with hotpoint before they told me the 198 was an extended warranty on the repair and parts used -pay only 114 and you o ly get 3 mths -

If they fix it for 114 it's worth it 198 is verging on getting a new one in my opinion

Thanks for the link ,,Ill take a look at the dishwasher tomorrow , see if i can do a home repair myself ,with some help from the Boards. :) I'll post back..

The dishwasher Hotpoint FDW20 about 3 years old..

The issue.
    wash would start but after circa 15 mins I would hear a buzz, and it would not empty,

it was getting stuck between cycles, the first 2 leds would flash (they are prewash and wash )

I reset the machine this is done by using the front switch and then turning off then on so all leds clear

Next I checked all 3 drain holes in the machine with tie wraps and "soft" coat hanger wire jiggled (going easy so as not to create any holes ) the machine was clear but still same issue..

I unplugged the machine for a few mins to ensure the logic in controller circuit was not dizzy..:)

Now I wanted to try the machine with a wash again so

I had to empty some the water out with a cup just enough so then I could tilt machine backwards to the right , to get water out of the drain hose.

(But I think there is a combination to try and empty it by holding the start button and some other button but could not recall this and did not try too many combinations just incase the machine logic got itself in a twist>:) any one any ideas on this one..?

I tried the same short wash prog ..But it stopped at the same place again ...I emptied the water again as above..

Then I took the drain pump off this is easy to find as it connected to the waste outlet hose the pump has one screw and requires a quarter twist and its off.

But to get to this pump the bottom cover is removed (6 screws there),

Now i need to check the pump as it seems suspect but I am not sure ??
    So I checked it for a open circuit, with multimeter no open circuit so all okay there ," very basically means electrics are good,"

(if you dont know how to check for open circuits or continuity checks just google it , these are the basics of checking many electrical parts and quite easy to follow.. so even if you cannot do the repair you have an idea of the issue..and cost involved..

A simple multimeter for basics cost about 10 euro and is a good tool to have..

I opened the pump up 3 screws ,all clean inside and the fan moves quite free and springs back with the motor like it should,

so finally to test it I plugged it directly to the wall sockets ,(do not do this unless you are familiar with electrics)
    Familiarity does not mean you know what a good shock feels like..:) be careful get a neighbour to help one you can afford to miss :)

And DO not do this if it fails the open circuit test... , ( in this case replace the drain pump , or call and expert...

So when wired to the mains socket the fan spins fine but it, has a slight impeller noise and the fan viewed from the top spins around but on a slight tilt ( most likely caused by running dry because of the long water shortages we have had, or perhaps a bit of glass etc..caught in it

Iam sure NAMA will cover my loss ,they like buying debts..:)

The motor does not humm smoothly, all this indicates a weak pump, as nothing is stuck in there..
    to do a rough test the centre of the fan can be held slightly with a long wooden dowel, with slight pressue here the fan should spin , if it does not the motor requires replacement , (this means the fan to motor link is not tight )

These are the symptoms my water pump had so I nipped down to to a Machine repair shop, I got a used pump of ,for ten euro , just to experiment with ...yipee

it was not exactly the same type so I Had too swap and mix half of my old pump with the old one I got from him parts all works fine now

but machine has a slight leak as the two halfs of the pumps do not fit eact other exactly , but now I know I just need a pump,

pump I need is code 61413..

Hope this rough guide helps someone ..

time taken is less then 1 hour ,,
    Edit update the 2 halfs of the pumps do fit fine and do not leak I did not tighten them too much the first time around as they have plastic housings.
    chessguy

Well, I have mine sorted out for now anyway. I got the timer card in Limerick for 100 Euro even, cash, and fitted it. No offence to the helpful guys here who suggested going the warranty route, but I think it's out of the warranty period. The DW is running and heating the water again. Here's what I found on the timer card, the terminals for the heater element join it where I have put the arrow, you can see it has been hot and one terminal has pulled away from the circuit board:

FDW20.jpg

Advertisement